The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Worlds WORST Restrictor Ring? In my Car!

Sheefa

i agree its a sign of problems but in all honesty a car with a double decat is not likely to have such a small restrictor ring.....

.....imo it would be well down the list of possible causes.

This could just as easily be (if you had a regular ring) a "Pheonix / Chris charged me for taking off my Decat pipes when searching for my boost leak why did they bother when i've got a double decat?" thread......

Scooter, certainly don't want to begin an argument mate. All I'm saying is I had mentioned my boosting issues before (NOT going above 0.7 bar on Full Decat BPU is surely a BIT strange!) and they haven't been rectified properly IMHO.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No and Yes to be fair mate. No, because I know Chris has done a sterling job on my car and I can't really fault him at all. He's once of the most, if not the most, expert members on the forum.

Yes though because this was quite a simple error that has gone unseen, along with the damaged fuel pump, and I was hoping he would of picked up on it. However, other circumstances may have affected the problem, smaller restrictor ring meaning stock boost, good AFRs maybe instead of the ighly lean ones on BPU 1.2 bar which alerted Greg @ Turbofit to the fuel problem.

Even now I find the oil in my car has been overfilled though by Turbofit a good 1 - 1.5cms above the Full level which could be causing the massive smoking issues, and they are pretty big, at the mo - maybe not.

I'm quite frankly bemused at the errors I'm having to KEEP paying to rectify, some very simple and some actually caused by garages themselves.:search:

Sorry for the rant guys, but after spending £5.5k now in 8 months and my car's still not running well at BPU, I'm naturally fecked off. :(

Hope you sort it Sheefa, but i have spent more than £6k to get my car running well stock, imo people should concentrate on the basics i.e is the engine in good nick before going bpu(I don't know what work you have had done though), stock engines will take a big boost in power but they will not last for ever, i doubt filling oil 1.5 cm above max would cause big smoking issues, the biggest fault with over filling is causing too much pressure and blowing a front crank seal or something similar?:)

If you're running BPU Mark and boosting to 1.2 bar without any smoke, I wouldn't worry. I wasn't though.

It's just before the second decat pipe I think but someone will confirm mate.

I run a steady 1bar and no smoke - runs great - pritty sure the cats must be smashed through but not checked yet. Im all BPU ed up.

392bhp so im guessin this is th case - ill have to take a look at some point.

What gain do I get by changing the ring? from my current bhp?

Hope you sort it Sheefa, but i have spent more than £6k to get my car running well stock, imo people should concentrate on the basics i.e is the engine in good nick before going bpu(I don't know what work you have had done though), stock engines will take a big boost in power but they will not last for ever, i doubt filling oil 1.5 cm above max would cause big smoking issues, the biggest fault with over filling is causing too much pressure and blowing a front crank seal or something similar?:)

Thanks mate.

Exactly, it may be causing a little smoke, but I doubt this much.

This leas me to believe that it could in fact be the Turbo Oil Seals. What it went into Turbofit for in the first place, but I was thankful it wasn't. Now of course, they overfilled it with oil and I'd expect them to know too whether or not the need for checking the seals is there.

Oh I don't bloody know. I can never seem to get the chance to drive this fucking car with out something going wrong. I'm so pissed off right now. Going offline guys as can't be fecked to moan about the piece of shit anymore.

Night all.

I run a steady 1bar and no smoke - runs great - pritty sure the cats must be smashed through but not checked yet. Im all BPU ed up.

What gain do I get by changing the ring? from my current bhp?

Nearly 400bhp running 1bar BPU?! :blink:

Thanks mate.

Exactly, it may be causing a little smoke, but I doubt this much.

This leas me to believe that it could in fact be the Turbo Oil Seals. What it went into Turbofit for in the first place, but I was thankful it wasn't. Now of course, they overfilled it with oil and I'd expect them to know too whether or not the need for checking the seals is there.

Easy to over-fill these car mate. I've had oil changes that needed a full 6 litres to get to the top of the dip stick and then seemed to need a little bit more. On another oil service, 5 litres seemed to overfill it. I think the best thing is to put 5 litres in, let it settle for 24 hours and see what the stick says.

You're not BPU'ed up if you still have the cats in, 392bhp? which rolling road was that?

From a by standers point of view I feel you may be a little unfair on CW. Would Chris have done much investigatory time on your car as the boost/smoking issues were not apparent at this time? (It went in primarily for accident repairs?)

When he drove me up the road in it when testing the ABS/RLTC sensors on my laptop it seemed to pull good and strong with no smoke etc.

I know he was concerned about the bill you were running up in labour time for the repairs from the accident (judging from your input of keeping costs down and supplying cheaper parts yourself to fit). So I guess he kept time on your car down to the specifics rather than poking around with the rest of the car?

:shrug:

I really hope the oil reduction sees and end to your woes. :(

Pete, just to reiterate mate, I'm certainly not having a go at Chris. I understand the work he did was repair work and I think he's done an absolutely fab job.

I'm just a little bemused about the RR and damaged Fuel Pump and how that wasn't spotted. The car WOULDN'T of gone above stock boost with that RR in, but Chris had said he'd had it to 1.1bar running well. If that's the case it would of been running very lean, but I can't seen how that can be the case with the amount of back pressure this RR would of caused.

Greg

Pete, just to reiterate mate, I'm certainly not having a go at Chris. I understand the work he did was repair work and I think he's done an absolutely fab job.

I'm just a little bemused about the RR and damaged Fuel Pump and how that wasn't spotted. The car WOULDN'T of gone above stock boost with that RR in, but Chris had said he'd had it to 1.1bar running well. If that's the case it would of been running very lean, but I can't seen how that can be the case with the amount of back pressure this RR would of caused.

Greg

1) The boost you attain on the road can be different to the boost on a dyno due to load and gear choice.

2) Sounds like you bought a shed and like to blame everyone else...

Greg is a good guy and I can fully appreciate his frustrations. I'd be climbing the walls with the bills he's had.

Sadly the car wasn't the best choice, but these things happen and it's about there now. :(

He could've saved a few quid by taking the first suggestion which was "ask a mate to take it for a ride and set fire to it". :eek:

Greg is a good guy and I can fully appreciate his frustrations. I'd be climbing the walls with the bills he's had.

Sadly the car wasn't the best choice, but these things happen and it's about there now. :(

Fair enough but it is coming across badly...it sounds like Chris and Mark could have spent years tearing that car down and not found everything that's wrong...yet the plaudits go to the company that find the last thing.

Fair enough but it is coming across badly...it sounds like Chris and Mark could have spent years tearing that car down and not found everything that's wrong...yet the plaudits go to the company that find the last thing.

That was my concern too.

Nearly 400bhp running 1bar BPU?! :blink:

Well thats what the dyno sheet says mate, respectable place too - not a dodgy back end garage! John Noble MotorSport in Chesterfield !

1 bar - my boost gauge was reading wrong , infact under at 0.8 ish (so I got a new one) - exactly the same reading 1 bar on the new gauge as the readout rolling road.

Cats may be smashed through? my mate has the same thing on his NA.

I have no idea what going on that end of things yet, going to be looking closer now - well after i have fitted the 100 new things I bought recently

:rolleyes:

Ill get to the bottom of it - infact ill take a pic of the dyno sheet and pop it on tonight if I get chance

Then you can all give me some lovley advice :)

to be honest - they way it is looking for the end of this year it makes not much difference as the supra power is taking a drastic hike upwards with a few lovley mods

not doing single tho - gonna go large twins :sly:

In my defence the car was done on a fairly tight budget, I didn't see the ring, but had no reason to check or access it in any way. I saw 1.0 to 1.1 bar on my master boost gauge after turbo solenoid and hose problems were addressed and a split I/C hard pipe sorted and a new I/C fitted (accident damage). As for the fuel pump, again, I had no reason or need to access it, Greg never complained before I had the car in about it cutting out round certain bends, I never saw this, and after greg had it back from me, he commented it was running well, and never mentioned any cutting out on corners.

I still don't see how a small restrictor ring, which, as Greg says, was holding about .8 to .9 bar boost, would cause the chronic smoking Greg reported and sent vids of. That back pressure is equivalent to that caused by the stock cats. It's a fact that REMOVAL of restriction can cause some turbo oil seal smoke, if the seals are tired, not the ADDITION of backpressure. I am mystified by how this chronic smoking and virtually total lack of boost was caused by a small rstrictor ring, and fixed by its enlargement The ring certainly wasn't one of mine, they are laser cut. I know it looks horrendous, but it would be functional, only it's size would be apparent to the engine, not its looks ;)

The initial problem of boost loss and smoke said "turbos to throttle body pipe loose, or partly off soemwhere" to me, and I offerd to look at the problem free of charge. Sorry, but I was never given the chance. I didn't supply or fit the ring in question, and never had cause to look at the pump. It showed healthy air fuel ratos on my (very expensive and regularly calibrated) Motec Professional Lambda Meter) and showed no signs of fuel starvation on corners. The only hasle I had was with the Racelogic, which exhibited an odd fault, but testing the similar unit in Petes car , by swapping them over showed the SAME fault, which is, apparently, a software or firmware glitch. I always hard wire Racelogics as the supplied plug and socket is not, to my mind, of good enough quality to go in the injector loom, and I have had trouble with them in the past, on other installs. If a fuel pump hose, in the tank, was split, and the only rubber hose in the tank is the one from the pump outlet, to the hard piing, about 2 inches long, the line pressure would cause severe fuel pressure loss at all times. This would have shown on the Lambda readings even off boost, I would have thought.

Glad it's all perfect now though Greg, sorry if I disappointed you.

1) The boost you attain on the road can be different to the boost on a dyno due to load and gear choice.

Thanks Alex, but I'd prefer it if you didn't respond to any of my posts in future with an attitude like that. :rolleyes:

Plus, there's no talk of a dyno anywhere on this thread so no idea what you're on about.

He could've saved a few quid by taking the first suggestion which was "ask a mate to take it for a ride and set fire to it". :eek:

Thanks Pete. Agreed, my investment could of gone elsewhere but the price for a Black Auto TT with decent S/H low milege engine fitted in 2005 and new hybrids in May 2006, bearing in mind I only bought her in July 2006 seemed good. Clearly not hey mate. :(

In my defence the car was done on a fairly tight budget, I didn't see the ring, but had no reason to check or access it in any way. I saw 1.0 to 1.1 bar on my master boost gauge after turbo solenoid and hose problems were addressed and a split I/C hard pipe sorted and a new I/C fitted (accident damage). As for the fuel pump, again, I had no reason or need to access it, Greg never complained before I had the car in about it cutting out round certain bends, I never saw this, and after greg had it back from me, he commented it was running well, and never mentioned any cutting out on corners.

I still don't see how a small restrictor ring, which, as Greg says, was holding about .8 to .9 bar boost, would cause the chronic smoking Greg reported and sent vids of. That back pressure is equivalent to that caused by the stock cats. It's a fact that REMOVAL of restriction can cause some turbo oil seal smoke, if the seals are tired, not the ADDITION of backpressure. I am mystified by how this chronic smoking and virtually total lack of boost was caused by a small rstrictor ring, and fixed by its enlargement The ring certainly wasn't one of mine, they are laser cut. I know it looks horrendous, but it would be functional, only it's size would be apparent to the engine, not its looks ;)

The initial problem of boost loss and smoke said "turbos to throttle body pipe loose, or partly off soemwhere" to me, and I offerd to look at the problem free of charge. Sorry, but I was never given the chance. I didn't supply or fit the ring in question, and never had cause to look at the pump. It showed healthy air fuel ratos on my (very expensive and regularly calibrated) Motec Professional Lambda Meter) and showed no signs of fuel starvation on corners. The only hasle I had was with the Racelogic, which exhibited an odd fault, but testing the similar unit in Petes car , by swapping them over showed the SAME fault, which is, apparently, a software or firmware glitch. I always hard wire Racelogics as the supplied plug and socket is not, to my mind, of good enough quality to go in the injector loom, and I have had trouble with them in the past, on other installs. If a fuel pump hose, in the tank, was split, and the only rubber hose in the tank is the one from the pump outlet, to the hard piing, about 2 inches long, the line pressure would cause severe fuel pressure loss at all times. This would have shown on the Lambda readings even off boost, I would have thought.

Glad it's all perfect now though Greg, sorry if I disappointed you.

Chris, as mentioned in my email and post mate, I have absolutely nothing against you and can't fault the fantastic work you've done on my car. I understand you had no reason to check the RR and Fuel Pump and thus I'm not complaining directly. I'm more annoyed that a) some twat fitted this and b) it just hasn't been picked up until now. I certainly know it's not one of yours! You indeed offered to look at the car free of charge and I thank you for that mate. I took it to turbofit though as they were a little closer, I had also heard good reports about them and was hoping to have some bodywork done by Knight Racer at the same time.

There will be all kinds of responses, as there have been to this thread no doubt. I did buy a poor car, my fault, and I've spent a lot trying to get it right. She's running anything but perfect at the moment.

I'm not blaming people for my disappointment in the Supra, or rather this Supra, I'm just mystified and frustrated at how something can bring so much grief and minimal enjoyment.

Rest assured, I won't be on the forum for much longer and I certainly intend on getting rid asap, maybe before the Dragonball too as I've seriously had enough.

Regards,

Greg