The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Worlds WORST Restrictor Ring? In my Car!

Sheefa

Thanks Alex, but I'd prefer it if you didn't respond to any of my posts in future with an attitude like that. :rolleyes:

Dont worry mate I got the same silly responce from Ric

"Enthusiastic Rolling road, ive tried to explain it too him many a time "

Very helphul indeed :drama: not.

Anyone have any real views after I post up my dyno tonight - more than welcome :)

Lets take into account I have no idea if the internals are standard or not when I bought it + I dont have xray eyes (yet). But the turbo blades are not normal jap spec if that helps lol

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want me to look at it agian, the offer still stands. I seriously doubt just a half inch over on the dipstick will cause the smoking. I ALWAYS put 10 / 12 mm or so over in my TT when doing track days, to help counter oil surge, and it never smoked. IMO the only reason the front oil seals blow out is due to a *uggered engine with a load of crankcase pressure due to poor piston ring control causing blow by. Time will tell, but i wouldn't expect draining a tad of oil will fix this, it's going to be either turbos or stem seals, just MAYBE piston rings.

Dont worry mate I got the same silly responce from Ric

"Enthusiastic Rolling road, ive tried to explain it too him many a time "

Very helphul indeed :drama: not.

Anyone have any real views after I post up my dyno tonight - more than welcome :)

He only said what's true...1bar and 400HP isn't possible on j-spec turbos no matter which dyno you used.

And Greg, Dyno or no dyno it doesn't matter...there are a number of variables that change boost pressures...the main one being the weather...but far be it from me to point out the obvious to you.

IMO the only reason the front oil seals blow out is due to a *uggered engine with a load of crankcase pressure due to poor piston ring control causing blow by. Time will tell, but i wouldn't expect draining a tad of oil will fix this, it's going to be either turbos or stem seals, just MAYBE piston rings.

Chris wouldn't a compression test establish if the engine is *uggered. I had a lot of problems with the front oil seal blowing on my car (3 times in as many months) after about six months of ownership. The cause as you say was a worn engine, causing pressure in the crank case.

400HP isn't possible on j-spec turbos no matter which dyno you used.

Can you not read? :blink:

"Lets take into account I have no idea if the internals are standard or not when I bought it + I dont have xray eyes (yet). But the turbo blades are not normal jap spec if that helps lol"

could make a difference eh?

If you want me to look at it agian, the offer still stands. I seriously doubt just a half inch over on the dipstick will cause the smoking. I ALWAYS put 10 / 12 mm or so over in my TT when doing track days, to help counter oil surge, and it never smoked. IMO the only reason the front oil seals blow out is due to a *uggered engine with a load of crankcase pressure due to poor piston ring control causing blow by. Time will tell, but i wouldn't expect draining a tad of oil will fix this, it's going to be either turbos or stem seals, just MAYBE piston rings.

Thanks Chris for the very kind offer once again mate.

Expect the worst again I shall then. As I said, the engine should be good. GBH only fitted it 2 years ago with 37k km on the clock. Turbo's are under warranty from Envy so that's not a problem as Gaz has agreed to replace the seals if needed.

Valve Stem Seals seems to be a certain possibility. Hoping it's not the Pistons - which I take it will be the most expensive of all three problems?

greg,

have you checked the rest of your exhaust just to see if there is a potato jammed in there too?

5.5k on a bpu, sir you deserve a break...

karma will come around and hopefully you'll win the lottery by the end of the year and not be bothering with us on pikey.net; you'll be with chris on lambo.net ;)

greg,

have you checked the rest of your exhaust just to see if there is a potato jammed in there too?

5.5k on a bpu, sir you deserve a break...

karma will come around and hopefully you'll win the lottery by the end of the year and not be bothering with us on pikey.net; you'll be with chris on lambo.net ;)

Thanks Mike.

Well, just started her up and idled over and no signs of smoke at all so I don't think it's the Valve Stem Seals as Chris mentioned they release a powerful puff of blue smoke after leaking overnight. I'm going to see how she runs tomorrow on a brief light run. I'm not getting my hopes up about anything.

Just to clarify, I had a chat with Chris earlier and he understands my position. I am in no way having a go at Chris or faulting his excellent work. It's just one of those issues that is shrouded by another, and another and another etc! Turbofit have also agreed to have another look at the car to make sure all is OK at no additional charge, as of course has Chris. Thank you both.

I know I got a bastard of a car, I never thought about looking on this forum either. I was niave and damn stupid to go along with a bundle of cash without any prior thought process. I know that now. I've learnt my lesson and after this car, never again. No Supra that's for sure!

Greg

Indeed Pete, well perhaps! :)

Just to advise, Greg @ Turbofit did a complete compression test on my engine before work commence and all cylinder compression results came back perfect. Around 15psi or something each, so I'm happy it's not the piston rings or pistons. No black oil on the spark plugs either. Some good news I suppose.

Looks to be the VSVs then!

Indeed Pete, well perhaps! :)

Just to advise, Greg @ Turbofit did a complete compression test on my engine before work commence and all cylinder compression results came back perfect. Around 15psi or something each, so I'm happy it's not the piston rings or pistons. No black oil on the spark plugs either. Some good news I suppose.

Looks to be the VSVs then!

Just to keep things in perspective here the reading was between 150 and 152 psi across all six.

Thanks Bob. :)

Chris, little worried there! Is this one of those 'my friend has this problem.....etc' stories when really you're referring to yourself "getting jiggy with it" with Jane behind the Restaurant?:innocent:

Would love to come, but time, money, car not working, girlfriend having a moan are all non-negotiable factors at the moment. :rolleyes: