The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VERY Smokey - CAUSE - Overfilled with Oil/Turbo Seals/Runing Rich?

Sheefa

Hi all,

Got my car back from Turbofit yesterday and all is great.

However on the journey back, she was smoking a lot when I let off boost after nailing it a bit. The smoke looks grey with a blue haze for sure and it's quite a bit plus it lingers in the air in a cloud! :rolleyes:

Greg @ Turbofit said that my car was actually running a little rich and idling in the 10's on the AFR gauge having only got 440's in too. He said this might produce a little BLACK smoke, but don't think it would produce grey bluey smoke.

I checked the oil levels before taking it for a run today, and then after and it's quite a way over the FULL indicator (about 1/2 inch over) which leads me to think it must be burning oil.

However, if I nail it too and the second tubbie comes in, it's producing the smoke again which surely means the Oil Seals COULD be a potential.

Question is, shall I try and drain some oil myself or burn it off for a bit? Is there anything dangerous and detrimental to your cars health by burning excess oil naturally?:search:

Help!:)

Thanks,

Greg

It's quite a way over mate - about 1/2 inch!! I checked it from cold, and then after idling for 5 minutes - results are the same.

I'll have to take it to the garage on Tuesday as I' working from home then. Just bloody annoying.

Guest gzaerojon

I'll probably get shot down for this next question, but just in case there is a small chance that it is the cause then i feel it is worth asking.

when you pull out the dipstick, do you wipe the oil away first?

again i do apologise for the dumb question

I'll probably get shot down for this next question, but just in case there is a small chance that it is the cause then i feel it is worth asking.

when you pull out the dipstick, do you wipe the oil away first?

again i do apologise for the dumb question

Thin ice Jon, VERY thin Ice! :p Yes you cheeky git, I know how to check my oil! Thanks for asking though. :)

Guest gzaerojon
Thin ice Jon, VERY thin Ice! :p Yes you cheeky git, I know how to check my oil! Thanks for asking though. :)

I'm sure you do, and i wasn't being cheeky i just couldn't get the idea out of my head :)

btw that driver side light just needs putting back together and i'll be sending it to you :)

I'm sure you do, and i wasn't being cheeky i just couldn't get the idea out of my head :)

btw that driver side light just needs putting back together and i'll be sending it to you :)

I know you weren't matey! ;) Cheers, but it's a good 1-1.5cm above the F level.!

Good man re the Drivers Light. Others here ready to go to you matey :)

14mm socket.

a old but clean washing up bowl or something with 6l capacity.

and a funnel for refilling (cut off 1 or 2L drinks bottle)

if you undo the sump nut till its nearly all out then you can turn it by hand and let it partially drain and then refit mid flow.

re the oil burning there is a possiblity that that old Heath Robinson restrictor ring was holding the turbo seal leak at bay and now its removed its showing up again?

Hope its just overfilling........

14mm socket.

a old but clean washing up bowl or something with 6l capacity.

and a funnel for refilling (cut off 1 or 2L drinks bottle)

if you undo the sump nut till its nearly all out then you can turn it by hand and let it partially drain and then refit mid flow.

re the oil burning there is a possiblity that that old Heath Robinson restrictor ring was holding the turbo seal leak at bay and now its removed its showing up again?

Hope its just overfilling........

Thanks Scooter. I'll get the nearby garage to do it as I haven't got the stands - they're only 50 metres away.

That's what I'm really afraid of.:(

Ive seen cars smoke from being barely over the Full mark, usually burns off after a few days driving. Its a fine line with some engines, and you cant blame someone for filling a little over (sometimes better than a little under IMHO) but when i say a little i mean a few mm's

I know, it's easy to overfill/underfill my mistake I suppose and once again, I'm not blaming turbofit or having a go at them. Quite the opposite - they've done a brilliant job on my car and I'm very thankful to Greg and Sam for spotting those issues!!

Just worried about the crank seals hence I walked to work today only 1 day after I had her back :(

Sound like could be your turbo seals maybe after looking at the restrictor ring you had in place that would cause alot of back pressure and this is not good for turbo's

Grey smoke is normally over fuelling but if it has a blue tinge then its burning oil.

HTH

Haven't had the chance to drain the oil yet, but have been advised that there's no point as a little excess oil isn't going to blow my crank seals especially as my engine is running strong.

Took her out for a very brief 5 minute run this morning. No smoking on start up, but when I put my foot down and lay off boost, there's a puff of grey/blue smoke and occasionally a large puff of white. Just a case of getting it sorted sometime.......whenever.

She drives very well though and except for the occasional puffs, has a real smooth power delivery throughout the gears boosting quite contently to 1.2-1.3 bar. :)

I'm starting to like her again............a little.

Greg