The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the biggest/best single street turbo out there for everyday driving?

AntD

The only reason I've consider going small single (450rwhp) tops really, is because I thought there were less complications involved/maintenance and things to go wrong. Is that ignorant of me?

I thought without the complicated boost piping and complex seq system, things would be easier to keep tabs on when running a small single with a good map and fuel setup. Wrong? :)

I personally think it's easier, most things are much more accessible, and there is a lot less plumbing. Once it's done and working, and normal maintenance is kept on top of, it's a relatively easy life.

-Ian

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going on this bit Rich, by Homer.

To be honest I've probably put off more people from going single that I have from considering making the change. I maintain it's really only for the hard core power junkies who accept the huge expense, increased maintenance cost and decreased reliability.

How much differance in cost is there in maintaining a small single like a t61, and the standard twin set up ?, (not just the fuel bill :D ). Interested as i'll be going the t61 route soon.

I think if there are any changes in maintainance costs its down to increased preventative measures like new plugs, oils belts and tuneups to help keep the why youv'e spent all that money going single enjoyable:)

So, what you're saying is that stock/BPU is enough for you? That’s totally fair and I think most people who have made the change will admit that BPU TT is the ultimate compressive between Power, reliability and maintenance cost.

To be honest I've pro

Hey Homer buddy, care to elaborate...

my understanding.

Single = less plumbing, much simpler setup, no 1st turbo to spool so easy on the fuel costs too.

Hey Homer buddy, care to elaborate...

my understanding.

Single = less plumbing, much simpler setup, no 1st turbo to spool so easy on the fuel costs too.

Perhaps what Darryl means is if you go for real monster biggy turbo you need to start thinking about the internals of the engine.

Being honest, I wouldn't say my maintenance costs increased with a single. In someways - they decreased. My water pump failed - and the labour costs was fair bit less with the single as it was accessible (as you said - simpler setup). The Phoenix guys serviced the car every 3k miles - that would've been the interval anyway, even if it was standard twins. I wanted to keep the car in as good condition as possible - because it was an old car. 13yrs with 89k miles on it.

The fuel costs - indeed, I found fuel economy increased. JohnK posted up some figures somewhere.

Are singles quicker on back roads? yes

Can most people use a single on back roads? no

Did Terry S frighten the living sh*t out of me the first time he took me down a country road in a single? yes

lol

he put me off buying his car for a year.. I was a little over-awed by the violence of the thing, I came home travel sick.

If you have the ability and road knowledge then a good single is in a different league, but if not it makes no difference.

I probably drive this single slower than the old BPU as you are always aware of the potential violence under your right foot.

lol..

"I'm going to die:blink: " followed by "if I buy it I will die:blink: "

That definately ranks as the no 1 most uncomfortable experience in a car so far... I just wasn't ready for it... now maybe ;)

I had to tell the family that it was a different car when I bought it a year later :eyebrows: