The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the biggest/best single street turbo out there for everyday driving?

AntD

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread was never about figures.

I was just trying to help someone out as i have a bit of experiance with my turbo kit.

Always the same with this fucking place. Feel like your being attacked all the time.

Hence, why i dont ever bother replying to many threads.

Scott, sorry you feel you're being attacked...

The problem is 620BHP isn't possible on that turbo, without race fuel and 2+bar of boost.

Sorry, it's just how it is. I think you'd have less issue's quoting the RWHP figure...I know it's not as impressive, but no one will argue. I'd get a second dyno too...on a Dyno Dynamics (non hub) dyno.

HTH...

No attacks intended guys, I am running the same turbo :)

Back on thread then, I would recommend the PHR Stage 1 all day long for a street motor and should work well on an auto as long as you could control the torque through the autobox :D

If it was me that upset you then sorry.

Likewise, it wasn't my intention to upset you at all.

It was a point and laugh at Thor's magical rolling road. It just annoys me a little unrealistic figures are trown around which end up with many newbies thinking 500fwhp isn't enough for a daily driver :blink:

Got to agree with what Steve said eariler, a RR should really just be used for ongoing tuning. If you want a realistic RWHP figure the only way is to go to one of the dyno's who can provide one.

The problem is 620BHP isn't possible on that turbo, without race fuel and 2+bar of boost.

PHR quotes "The PHR Stage 1 is capable of 520 RWHP at 18 psi utilizing the factory fuel system and electronics, or 630+ RWHP at 29 psi using the PHR Stage 2 Fuel System upgrade and MAP ECU"

Your right... however I don't think any supporting mods are involved here

I was thinking about the OP's question, rather than the Thor bunfight, but although it won't account for the 100bhp difference in power it'd be interesting to see what the PHR boys spec lists are and if they differ. Also one may have a better ecu map than the other (pure specualtion).

I've also got a PHR Stage One kit and pretty good supporting mods, all quality parts, professionally fitted. The flywheel power estimate for my car is 98bhp less than VeilsideTT claims for his car with the same kit.

:shrug:

It's just the Thor Dyno, again. It's famous for over-reading.

I was thinking about the OP's question, rather than the Thor bunfight, but although it won't account for the 100bhp difference in power it'd be interesting to see what the PHR boys spec lists are and if they differ. Also one may have a better ecu map than the other (pure specualtion).

IMO, the supporting mods are just as important as the turbo choice, perhaps more so.

I've been in a XS t70 car with a poor supporting mod setup and it was terrible, it felt much slower than my BPU TT. On the other hand I've been in Terribleturners T70 equiped car (good map and supporting setup) and it felt very quick indeed.

Likewise with other single conversions. I think the biggest mistake many people make is going for too large a turbo for their needs. I cannot see how anyone would need more power that a T67 can provide, unless you're planning on using only full boost above 100mph. Even a T67 will spin the wheels on spool up in 1st-3rd gears in the dry.

Regarding the power difference, it's just down to the Thor dyno. Its famous for it (in case you didn't catch that already :D )

I guess the temptation just to whack on a bloody great big turbo overcomes the sensible, yet expensive total package like Jamie's/Jake's/MikeB's/etc. I was gobsmacked when I read on SF that a T88 was considered a 'small' single, even on streetcars.

I was gobsmacked when I read on SF that a T88 was considered a 'small' single, even on streetcars.

Thats the yanks for you :D To be fair, they have much larger, straighter roads than our little pot-holed tracks (that includes the M4), so their aims are significantly different to most of us on here.

In general us Brits are looking for punchy, quick spooling cars - the Supraforums lot are looking for high rpm, high boost applications for their high speed runs.