The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the biggest/best single street turbo out there for everyday driving?

AntD

Thats the yanks for you :D To be fair, they have much larger, straighter roads than our little pot-holed tracks (that includes the M4), so their aims are significantly different to most of us on here.

In general us Brits are looking for punchy, quick spooling cars - the Supraforums lot are looking for high rpm, high boost applications for their high speed runs.

True. I took a friend out for lunch (well, she paid) today and even at near stock you can't really use WOT on anything less than a D/C in the South East. I let her drive it back and she still made blistering progress without thrashing it.

Maybe I'm getting old :(

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I took a friend out for lunch (well, she paid) today and even at near stock you can't really use WOT on anything less than a D/C in the South East. I let her drive it back and she still made blistering progress without thrashing it.

Maybe I'm getting old :(

So, what you're saying is that stock/BPU is enough for you? That’s totally fair and I think most people who have made the change will admit that BPU TT is the ultimate compressive between Power, reliability and maintenance cost.

To be honest I've probably put off more people from going single that I have from considering making the change. I maintain it's really only for the hard core power junkies who accept the huge expense, increased maintenance cost and decreased reliability.

So, what you're saying is that stock/BPU is enough for you? That’s totally fair and I think most people who have made the change will admit that BPU TT is the ultimate compressive between Power, reliability and maintenance cost.

BPU will be enough for me, but I wouldn't want people to think they shouldn't have 1XXXbhp on my say so- if they want it, then go for it, but on a personal level I wouldn't get any enjoyment from a car I couldn't get the most out of on a small, windy A road or wide B road. Catching a Z4 3.0 on some small B road today was more exhilarating than reeling in an RS4 on the M40, but it's personal choice, someone else would get a bigger rush crushing a Zonda on an Autobahn, it's horses for courses, the OP has to think about what horse he is and what course he treads as there is no 'wrong' opinion, but it's best to have the right tool for the job in hand.

Gaz, you confuse me. You like Supra's that are lightly modified but do not support single/twin conversions no matter how they are done?

I am a fan of everything involving the burning of petrol. My personal tipple is something I can use, but I can appreciete, like or love pretty much anything- how can anyone not be impressed by getting 1000bhp from a 3 litre engine?

and your BPU car is faster on A roads and B roads, is it?

If you aren't using 350bhp to the full, how do you use 550bhp to the full?

Hostility or just the opinion that a well set up single is always quicker than anything even through the twisties.

I'd disagree. Given a route with a lot of corners and short straights I don't think they'd be much difference between single, BPU, TT or NA.

Guest Nicholas

Just to add to the dyno figures discussion a few pages back my single t04r made 510bhp at the fly on the rolling road that Dan Turner uses with 4 boost leaks and 478bhp at the hubs at THOR once the leaks had been fixed.

I'm guessing the map on my car needs to be looked at now the leaks have been sorted?

A little off topic I know...

What hostility? What choice?

I've just read back through the last several posts to check but I can't see any hostility.

I presume you mean by me or Homer, right?

"You've never been in a sorted single turbo Supra, have you Gaz."

"and your BPU car is faster on A roads and B roads, is it?"

Sounded hostile to me :shrug:

Anyway, mondo off topic :)

-Ian

Gaz, I think a point you've missed is the Torque of a single'd Supra...with a properly sized single you'll get out of corners, in gear, much faster because of the fatter torque curve....

Hybrids and the stock system is very very capable but you wouldn't use it for point to point quickness...it's designed to do everything fairly well....which it does.

Gaz, I think a point you've missed is the Torque of a single'd Supra...with a properly sized single you'll get out of corners, in gear, much faster because of the fatter torque curve....

Hybrids and the stock system is very very capable but you wouldn't use it for point to point quickness...it's designed to do everything fairly well....which it does.

I certainly see where you are both coming from- the single does away with the 3500-4000rpm no mans land of the stock car, but on a B road how often is a stock car at WOT- not only can you only use what available grip you have but for me my single biggest limiting factor itowards velocity isn't my BHP or my lbs.ft it's the roadspace I can see- I am fully in the camp that you must be able to stop in the roadspace you can see- an extra 150bhp does not help you see through walls or hedges or landmass.

When I see in the spirited driving chronicals "I was hooning along the BXXXX chasing an Exige, the swell of my GT4088DBB enabled me to fire out of the corners to gobble up the Hethal bathtub....." instead of "I was on the M6 when I saw a SL55AMG..." then I'll conceed the point.

Just to add to the dyno figures discussion a few pages back my single t04r made 510bhp at the fly on the rolling road that Dan Turner uses with 4 boost leaks and 478bhp at the hubs at THOR once the leaks had been fixed.

I'm guessing the map on my car needs to be looked at now the leaks have been sorted?

A little off topic I know...

Nick, last time your car was on dan's rollers it made something like 460hp after dan had to retard the ingnition due to poor fuel, did he change the map after that again?

Guest Nicholas
Nick, last time your car was on dan's rollers it made something like 460hp after dan had to retard the ingnition due to poor fuel, did he change the map after that again?

The 510 I was quoting was after he originally mapped it mate, the day you saw it was when I had no choice but to put BP ultimate in and he had to retard the ignition. I'm guessing he left the changes made as it had the bp in and didn't change it back? perhaps this is why the result at Thor was poor?

I'll give him a buzz and get it back on to be checked :)

The 510 I was quoting was after he originally mapped it mate, the day you saw it was when I had no choice but to put BP ultimate in and he had to retard the ignition. I'm guessing he left the changes made as it had the bp in and didn't change it back? perhaps this is why the result at Thor was poor?

I'll give him a buzz and get it back on to be checked :)

Yea that will be why, you need to get back up there with some decent fuel in the car mate;) So with the settings it had on the day it made 460ish fly at TF, and 478 at the hubs at thor... another conclusion that thor dyno over reads like mad;)

Guest Nicholas
Yea that will be why, you need to get back up there with some decent fuel in the car mate;) So with the settings it had on the day it made 460ish fly at TF and, and 478 at the hubs at thor... another conclusion that thor dyno over reads like mad;)

I'll get it booked in for after I've had the body work changes in April mate the car won't be driven till then :)

The only reason I've consider going small single (450rwhp) tops really, is because I thought there were less complications involved/maintenance and things to go wrong. Is that ignorant of me?

I thought without the complicated boost piping and complex seq system, things would be easier to keep tabs on when running a small single with a good map and fuel setup. Wrong? :)

Guest Nicholas
It will be fine to drive still bud, Dan would not put a unsafe map in the car, he was supprissed himself in the huge difference fuel made between bp ultimate and Vpower:)

I was too matey, it's a good job I live near a shell garage. Let's hope noone on here uses BP on a regular basis.