The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Feel like Crying, I've had enough - The Supra will be going

Sheefa

Er yeah what tank did you actually put the anti-freeze in? I myself would be hoping it was a turbo seal gone not a BHG as the head gasket requires all the same things to be taken off the car plus a whole hell of a lot more.

Anti freeze is nasty stuff and can cause weak points in head gaskets to let go. But like everyone else here says get it professionally assessed before getting out the noose chap. I had plumes of steam coming out of mine once and it turned out to be a pinprick hole in a water pipe spraying straight onto my turbo's

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure???:search: :search:

Sure about what Chris? Yes mate, only topped it up a little mind.

If there is any warranty it wont be from pheonix as they just fitted them, the warranty would be from Envy, but dont jump the gun yet, get the car to someone that know what theere looking at Greg

Thanks Jamie, thought that might be the case. I know I'm jumping the gun mate, I have no idea who to ask to look at the car though and don't know anyone with a trailer who can trailer it to CWs etc. :(

Unlucky Greg. Sounds like you picked up a bit of a lemon considering all the issues you've had with it since buying it.

Yep. You would of thoght with over £7k already spent in the year before I bought her on a solid low mileage engine and new hybrids she'd be pretty strong hey. :(

Danny, that's what people questioned at first, UKRich and Chris Wilson. They said it wouldn't made clouds of white smoke though, it'd be black instead.

This is literally clouds of white smoke pouring out the rear exit.

I would say its 99% HG that would be my bet, hope you get it sorted Greg chin up mate:)

I would say its 99% HG that would be my bet, hope you get it sorted Greg chin up mate:)

Thanks mate, but Homer said in another thread that he has never heard of a genuine eample of this failing which is priobably a good and a bad thing! I take it it's expensive to sort out!???

Er yeah what tank did you actually put the anti-freeze in?

Sheefa, are you sure it was an FMIC expansion tank you topped up?

Pic attached of the tank I put it in. Note fed to rad pipe. I topped this up guys. :innocent:

I had plumes of steam coming out of mine once and it turned out to be a pinprick hole in a water pipe spraying straight onto my turbo's

I would love it if this was the case!:)

Picture(617).jpg

Are you 100% sure it was coming out of the exhaust?

I'm thinking it could be a burst hose somewhere, but if it's actually coming out of the exhaust, it kinda rules that out.

Managed to open the bonnet for a brief 5 secs and no smoke or vapour there. Definitely just out of the exhaust mate. :(

Thanks mate, but Homer said in another thread that he has never heard of a genuine eample of this failing which is priobably a good and a bad thing! I take it it's expensive to sort out!???

Well fingers crossed, the HG can go although very rare as Homer said its not indistructable, the plumes off white smoke indicate its a big possibility!! did the car drive very very lumpy after it happened, coughing and spluttering

What a shitter Greg, hope it works out alright for you. I know eactly how you feel and more with the car. Last year i even had a 2nd one lined up to replace mine as i couldn't cope with problem after problem. Think it's been nearly a complete year now and im just (Touch wood) about to have her running normal again :) Stick in there bud :thumbs:

Plumes of smoke out the back of the car whilst moving can be very confusing.... you may think it's from the exhaust but your just seeing it from the rear via your rear view mirror. Could be anything in the engine bay hose wise and it's just burning on what's hot and whilst moving you see the smoke from the back of the car.

My 2nd MKIV TT was a '93 and it was the oil pressure switch that went on it - hairline fracture where it connects to the block. Result was oil was pissing out the hole onto the exhaust and plumes of white smoke were pissing out the back. I was coming home from Crail drag strip and had about 50 miles to drive so knowing it was burning oil I stopped at a Garage to buy a couple of gallons of cheap semi synth and kept topping it up - limped it home like this when I found the source to my relief was the oil pressure switch. £12 at Toyota later for a new one and about 2hrs to fit and clean up the mess and all was well again.......

Here's hoping for you!

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi guys,

Spoke to Greg @Turbofit just now who's asked me to do a few checks. Going to start her up now and check for burning oil/water vapour etc as advised. Greg was a damn sound bloke, seemed to certainly know the potential causes so here goes. Update in 20mins.

BTW, Checked oil dipstick and level is full and usual brown/black colour. Also, checked all hoses and they're on tight including the Intercooler ones.

Bad luck Greg but I think there may be more to this than meets the eye (i.e. something more simpler than HG issues etc - or at least I'm hoping).

Just like Brian has mentioned, there is every chance that the smoke plumes may in fact be water evaporation plumes which are primarily derived from the coolant source or split water piping etc.

Are the smoke plumes definitely coming from the exhaust or just the rear of the car?

Also, what sounds and vibrations are coming from the engine now mate?

EDIT: Bit of a delayed post (sorry) as I went to make a coffee in between writing this