Thor's V8 Supra In Jap Performance Mag

SupraAyf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bit dissapointed in this really, kudos to Thor for doing it but when it was first mentioned i had visions of a 1000 + hp monster riping up the drag stip doing 8 odd second quarters right here in the UK, saying that it aint easy squeezing turbos on to a V8 (or any V for that matter) i think this is one of the primary reasons the supe is so popular in the modding scene thank god Mr Toyota chose a straight six

currently running a stock ecu and 95RON fuel - plenty of potential with a stand-alone ecu and 98RON :)

Also, there,s the noise + weight loss :)

Also (again), as their experience grows I would expect the total cost to fall somewhat.

Also (again, again), as previously mentioned - it's something different :) :)

I haven't read the whole article yet - gonna pop to the khazi shortly for a full read but it's certainly interesting :)

I agree with Chris, its a start and im sure they are working on other options from there. It is also a good showcase of what they can do, its just like top secret fitting the v12 and then turbo charging it, there are cheaper options but how many times can you show off another built engine big single combo.

currently running a stock ecu and 95RON fuel - plenty of potential with a stand-alone ecu and 98RON :)

What get's me on this is Thor is supposed to be known for mapping ECU's, why have a project like this and not at least get a stand alone in there with some fine tuning on 98.

Also, there,s the noise + weight loss :)

Both good

Also (again), as their experience grows I would expect the total cost to fall somewhat.

Thats funny

Also (again, again), as previously mentioned - it's something different :) :)

Tell that to No 1 Racer boy and his external FMIC :D

I haven't read the whole article yet - gonna pop to the khazi shortly for a full read but it's certainly interesting :)

I agree, still needs some polishing though, I think they should have held off a little while on the mag spread until they got the most they could out of it without getting silly with Turbos ect.

Some god, valid points Jo, perhaps they wanted to show a basic conversion with plenty of potential to go mad.

Do the basic, sound groundwork first to set the foundations and then start looking at more power etc. (I bet that's their plan anyway - don't reckon we've seen the last of that one just yet LOL) :)

Stock 3l = 225HP. Stock V8 = 260HP. 55HP from an exhaust/filter? LOL

Keep in mind the figures are obtained from their hub dyno. ;)

I need to get mine up there soon as I would like to have a comparison to see the difference from SRR (622hp @ 1.5)or the place Dan used (625hp @ 1.5). Would be interesting to see the results.

The price is very good. The RB25 single lump we transplanted our selves into a 200 SX is much more expensive if done by a tuner. I have heard £7K being floated around. However it is replacing a 1.8 in line four turbo with a 2.5 straight 6 turbo.The gain is reliability and potential,as the little 1.8's big ends don't last long at 300+ bhp. However change the turbo, cams, fuelling and induction and you have a lightweight 500BHP awesome street car.

It is good to see these kind of transplants being done. It is something different, V8's give a totally different power curve. Some times it is just done to prove it can be done. Nice one Pete.

It is good to see these kind of transplants being done. It is something different, V8's give a totally different power curve. Some times it is just done to prove it can be done. Nice one Pete.

I have to agree with this. It's nice to see something different.

Originally Posted by ChrisSZ View Post

currently running a stock ecu and 95RON fuel - plenty of potential with a stand-alone ecu and 98RON

What get's me on this is Thor is supposed to be known for mapping ECU's, why have a project like this and not at least get a stand alone in there with some fine tuning on 98. ....

I think it's a case of learning to walk before you try running.

Interesting :) If it is cross plane then it needs a fat, no, make that Phat exhaust system and a supercharger. Yes sir. No corrupting the exhaust note with turbos.
Also, the Aussie Soarer blokes reckon the V8 needs a cross pipe joining the twin exhausts, and flat-plane crank V8s are supposed to work better with two separate exhaust systems, aren't they?