supra666

Feeling your mileage not right?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Feeling your mileage not right?

• Yes I've had it checked
    • Don't want to know true mileage
    • Going to check it after reading this
    • Have wondered if mileage is correct

I'm not sure about this. You have to give them the current mileage so therefore you have to mess about converting miles back to k's or it won't mean anything.

Besides, what you gonna do if someone tells you it was clocked? Get all down about the car when theres nothing you can do, especially if you got it from JIC like i did who now no longer exist!!

Mind you, mine was 50k when I got it and the wear etc all seemed to match so I'm not suspicious to start with.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure about this. You have to give them the current mileage so therefore you have to mess about converting miles back to k's or it won't mean anything.

Besides, what you gonna do if someone tells you it was clocked? Get all down about the car when theres nothing you can do, especially if you got it from JIC like i did who now no longer exist!!

Mind you, mine was 50k when I got it and the wear etc all seemed to match so I'm not suspicious to start with.

In my case thats easy as I only got the car in Dec last year and it had 68k kms on the clock before it was converted / derestricted etc

Again thats easy for me as the garage in Bradford is still trading

I think its very very difficult to judge a cars milage by its appearance, for example my daily drive is a Vectra SRi I have used it to do 400 mile round trips to work (not every day) therefore 90% of its miles are motorway miles.

If you drove it without knowing the miles I promise you you would probably estimate 60k TOPS, its doen 135k now.

Due to motorway miles the pedal rubbers are all quite unworn , gear gator not perished/worn, seats like new no scuffing etc and steering, engine gearbox all tight ,alloy wheels very clean un marked, all its done is sit at 3-4k revs for mile after mile.

Unfortunatley the word has got back to Japan that everybody "know" that ALL Jap cars have low milage which gives them good reason to clock the cars knowing that people over here wont question it due to that low milage being the norm

IMHO

Theres any easy answer to all this though, buy from a reputable dealer, there are a few decent people out there which buy from dealerships in japan rather than auctions, these are the places you need to buy from, I personally would avoid places with only auction looking photos in a warehouse.

Guest steve77964

just sent off for mine as mine is a 93 with very low mileage

and i got mine from newera

so what is the situation legally if the mileage proves to have been clocked as basically he would be the only person that could have done it?

ill let you know how it comes back

normally on auction sheets if there is * next odo display it means they cant verify miles ( so might be clocked or could be not genuine) if there is $ next to odo it means clocks have been changed to read incorrect miles but has history to back it up ie nismo 320 clocks in gtr are bought and just installed they might show higher or lower readings but if the $ is displayed then it has paperwork to prove..

dealer cars in jp -- you basically have to buy on condition as these are not recorded on database unless previously sold at auction (it then will only have the auction miles when and if it hit auction).

also if the car has no marks next to odo on auction sheet ie $* then it is supposed to be genuine.:) unless its the $ which means clock conversion but history to prove it.

Ive just had another emai from the guy who does the £10 auction checks.

He says that the importers dont tend to clock them in this country but they get their agents who buy the cars from the auction in Japan on their behalf to clock them before they ship them over.

I suppose its the importers way of distancing themselves away from the clocking.

However they are still responsible.

If my results come back with an extra X thousand kms on I will be contacting the garage where I got the car from to see what compensation they were going to give me otherwise threaten them with trading standards.