The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to paint your car at home.

rik

wish you all the best :) try getting some sort of heating in there before you start painting as its too cold for the paint to really stick and you could end up with runs in the paintwork. also you will have to leave longer times between coats as the thinners will take longer to evaprote in this weather.:)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wish you all the best :) try getting some sort of heating in there before you start painting as its too cold for the paint to really stick and you could end up with runs in the paintwork. also you will have to leave longer times between coats as the thinners will take longer to evaprote in this weather.:)

Heating's covered mate, got 2 big fan heaters to get the temp up before i paint.

erm, noway is that going to be a dustless enviroment like most booths are (to a degree) so your gonna get all dust settling in the paint?

No shit! :p

Rik put ya car back together drive up here in sunny newcastle mate stop in a B&B and you can use my unit!compressor/gun etc etc;)

Mate that is a very generous offer, thanks a lot :) . But seriously, i am not that bothered. Winter's coming, i just want it on the road. Maybe in the spring/summer i'll do it properly.

Anyway, look at the amount of threads recently about "my car's just been keyed/ smacked into/ gobbed on" etc. I didn't get a supra to sit on the drive and impress people, or for me to worry sick about every time i leave it parked somewhere. Don't get me wrong, i totaly appreciate why people like to polish their cars every weekend and keep them clean (check out my audi in my garage), but i'll take it either way, the supras for driving :)

I've just used a gazebo to paint my skirts in, it had mesh sides to stop the insects and other objects.

I got a bargain compressor off Ebay , £100. At Machine Mart it costs over £300. Also bought a new Devilbiss GTI gun.

I did the spraying last Saturday, the finish is fantastic. Very shiny and no orange peel.

I used a quick thinner because of the colder weather. Red base coat followed by the 2 pack lacquer.

Are you using any masks to stop paint inhilation?

:thumbs: Its a good idea I think - I mean your not going to get the show finish look but then again you know that and it suits you.

I would defo put a ground sheet in tho and seal all edges with duck tape or something. Infact if you got a few electric heaters it would be nice and warm in there for the paint to go off quicker (winter and all that - thats all im thinking) and the ground sheat will help keep out the damp :)

you could really go for it and hook up four Dysons to eack corner for dust extraction lol - im kiddin ! ......but still...... :blink:

But I like shit like this - its great when people have got the balls to do things themselfs - good on ya.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I suppose it must seem a little crazy to do this, but what the hell! :blink:

Anyway, i'm a bit pi**ed off today, i was going to get stuck into this tomorrow but the missis has just been RAC'd home in her Punto after the head gasket has finaly given up the ghost :( . Looks like i'm going to be sorting that out over the weekend instead.

And yes lads, i have got the floor covered and a couple of fan heaters. (do you think i'm some kind of cowboy)

Are you using any masks to stop paint inhilation?

Yes mate, i've got a 3M paint mask. When i do the primer, i'll see how it goes with overspray in the atmosphere. If i need to, i'll rig up some kind of extraction.

I'm not doing the whole car in one hit, i'll be doing Rear quarters/door shuts, roof and front wings, then wheel the car out and do the doors, bonnet and bumpers after. Obviously i'm not too fussed if the finish varies. :)

Mega gutted i'm not going to be getting on with this now this weekend. Mind you, it depends how quickly i can nail a head gasket to the missis Punto:superman:

Oh yeah, i remember that thread when you did it. Nice job. :thumbs:

I'm using single pack cellulose Satin Black. I've got 3 litres which was all they had on the shelf at the time, i'll see how that goes as far as coverage when i do the quarters etc and just get some more if needed.