How to paint your car at home.

rik

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trip to Poland and back - 300 pounds, painting 1 colour - 300 pounds (profesionall garage), painting 2 colours ~400 pounds, custom painting 4 colours (chameleon) around 800 pounds.

Hotel for 3 days + food - 150 pounds. Adventure - priceless :D

ah aye and wheres this ? i wouldnt really want to sleep in a B+B the amount of thieving little gypsy bastards that ive seen over there already i`d sleep beside my car in the spray bay with a bat

besides that a trip to poland wouldnt cost me that much i am in osnabruck with half price V-Power fuel :D

Rik put ya car back together drive up here in sunny newcastle mate stop in a B&B and you can use my unit!compressor/gun etc etc;)

hey keef i am in newcastle over christmas the new year :D any chance of coaching me :D i would be shit scared to do anything like a full car respray

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a bit of progress at last :). I got the missis mobile again last week having put the headgasket on her Punto. Shame the water pump was cracked as well :(.

I've taken a couple of days off work this week to try and get this done, and made a start yesterday. Despite multiple problems (overloaded extension leads catching fire etc) i managed to get the car in primer.

I've got to say, the Pro-Deluxe Super Booth 2000 worked ok. Crap in the paint is absolutely minimal, only the lack of extraction is an issue. Here's a couple of pics, sorry they're rubbish, but i was in a rush to get out and see the new James Bond flic :cool:

pri1.jpg

pri2.jpg

pri3.jpg

pri4.jpg

PRI5.jpg

wow real good! how did you go about striping the paint down?

It was a real chore. The quality of the paint that was used to respray the car before was realy bad, and it was about an inch thick. I tried orbital sanding it but the heat turned it to chewing gum. In the end i had to use a hot air gun and scraper. Only on the roof and quarters though, all the other panels are of another car that just need wet flatting.

how is the cold afecting it???

No probs. Although the heaters aren't quite as manly as they looked in the catalogue, they seem to be doing ok. I went in there early this morning having left them on all night and it was quite warm.

Got the car out today so i could prime the bumpers etc. Couldn't get the doors ready as the windows are down and i can't get to the door handle nuts, so i'll have to wait till the car is unmasked so i can plug them back in :( Lack of forward planning.

I'm going to flat the car in the morning and get some colour on it :D

Well, i managed to get the shell top coated today :cool: Had a few problems to deal with along the way, but i don't like things to get the better of me :) Pics are a bit crap again, i was going to wheel it out and get some better ones but it started to rain.

So, i spent the rest of the afternoon putting my lights that i've refurbed black back together again.

I've still got the doors and bumpers etc to top coat, but i'm back to work tomorrow so it'll have to wait untill the weekend now :( .

CIMG2940.JPG

CIMG2944.JPG

CIMG2947.JPG

CIMG2948.JPG

CIMG2953.JPG