The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning the n/a

Tom

For me the TT now isnt an option, Im planning to buy an RSP sz-r as its a later model,I love the colour and its a step up from my car!:p It would be silly of me to jump from a 115bhp fwd mini to a 330bhp rwd monster, also I dought I'll be able to a run a TT compared to the cost of the n/a.

Also my drving is almost all B roads so the TT power ie 80mph> is not needed. Its taken me a year at least to decide but now im certain!:D

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by TDRAPER

It would be silly of me to jump from a 115bhp fwd mini to a 330bhp rwd monster,

Agreed, some of us remember the last person who went from a FWD s**tbox to a TT. :(

Also, your right about the bends/B-roads. A NA is just as potent here if you know how to drive.

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Agreed, some of us remember the last person who went from a FWD s**tbox to a TT. :(

Also, your right about the bends/B-roads. A NA is just as potent here if you know how to drive.

Sorry syed but absolute balls. Anyone with a modicum of responsibility can tame their wild side in the first few months of driving. Not everyone will rush out and crash a car. Also road for road the TT will be a quicker car no doubts. If you know how to drive you won't crash a TT will you. And as for the costs of running an N/A over a TT the differences are very minimal with only insurance costs being the biggy. That said you go tuning an N/A to TT stock power and you will up your insurance to that as well.

Seriously fella I have an N/A. I am going to the truoble of transplanting a TT engine into it to up its power to be up with the rest of the soop guys, and all the daft cars that seem to laff at me including sodding skodas!!!

Don't go down the N/A route if you know you are going to want more power.

Ok,

Aside from the fact that the original topic went through the door ----> that way.

It boils down to the same as everything else - CHOICE

Don't go bitching at people for not having a TT, sorry to say it but much as I love my supe it isnt the most amazing car in the world. It's pretty shitty of some of you to be putting other cars down simply because you have hairdrier aspiration. Aren't we all supposed to be on the same team here?

Rather than flaming people like DB for having the balls to look into innovative new ways of increasing low end torque (some thing the TT's could benefit from too - twin charged) how about:

a) sticking to the questions that were asked

b) if you cant stick to a then at least make it useful

c) if you have nothing constructive to add then don't bother.

Na's are an ideal choice for :

1) people entering the RWD market for the first time

2) people who get stung for insurance on certain types of cars (although in my experience and NA has been more expensive than a TT)

3) people not having a larger sum of money to make a single payment on a vehicle

I paid a small amount for my supe (in the single thousands X000) but I can take gratification in knowing I own it outright, no bank waving its nasty interest rates at me, I am in a lucky situation in that way but many are not. Take the time to think about what your writing and how that may be percieved.

I am sure that nobody meant to sound so personal in some of their replies but for god's sake, NA or TT (or single) they are wonderful cars regardless and if someone wishes to gradually spend their money on mod's for their NA then let them get on with it and keep your "*whinge* buy a TT *whinge*" comments to yourself.

/rant

EDIT - to add, that isn't aimed at anyone in particular just my obsevations on this (and other) threads

Edit: Nice post Stealth!:)

Might I add that im only 20!, I responsible one at that but the temptation of flooring it all the time is not good, especially in a TT!

Im a pretty good/safe driver as I only drive quick in safe environments but 3 times the power and no rwd experience is a recipe for disaster no matter what my driving ability is.

Yes good point about insurance(the reason I dont have one yet) but I wouldn't be tuning the car immediately, it would be over a few years which wont be so bad, also back to running costs the n/a will still be cheaper imo because of servicing is much less frequent on the n/a, I drive around 10k per year that would be 3 services on the TT but only one on the n/a and at around £300 each service thats gonna mount up. Besides that seeing as i've owned my mini from new it would be kinda strange to go to a much older TT than only a few years younger n/a.

OK Ok

My feelings have been stated. I agree with stealth host on all of his points especially the one about the jumping on by TT peeps on any new idea. If its the car you want then by all means buy one. All I am trying to say to you is be very informed on various prices and what can be done with your money.

I too bought my N/A as it was the better looking car (I had a choice same price of a TT hardtop and my aero). The insurance the first year out was double for the TT as well which really put me off.

Servicings at 3000 only consist of an oil change which I have to admit I do anyway on all my cars and always have done.

Seriously add up the initial cost of a TT and see if you can afford that as long term that will be the cheaper option. If not then do by all means go for an N/A. I have been more than happy with mine for 2 years. Just going to meets and gettin embarassed by skoda's anoyyed me into looking for more power lol.

Not wanting to get into NA vs TT discussion, but I would suggest anyone wanting to buy a Supra to take their time and test drive as many as possible first; NA, TT, auto and manual, that way you will be able to make an informed decision from the start.

Just spoken to the dealer about the TOMS Tec ECU, the main differences are that it uses a faster processor and has remapped ignition/timing to maximise performance output. He said it should give a 10-15% hp increase over stock. The cost is HK$13,440 (exchange) which is about £965.

If anyone is interested I can put you intouch with the dealer.

For what I paid for my NA I could have brought a helluva TT, but I didn't. I saw the car I wanted and fell in love with, yes I knew he was non turbo, but I test drove him and thought he more than met my requirements for a car - which he does and some.

The insurance is a nightmare, I spend a fortune on presents ( but that's because I want to) for him so I would say anyone buying one thinking it is a cheap alternative to the TT is mad. The only thing that is cheaper about them for some is the initial buying cost.

well my car before was a E reg XR3i. Im glad i went NA, they are still powerful and its a big enough jump for anyone! and at end of day you can get caught out by the roads, last thing i wanted was a turbo surprising me half way through a corner!

But if your getting a NA i would have to have a manual as it gives u that bit more control and work to do. Makes up for the loss in speed/power. I wouldnt mind a TT auto as you have more power. Thats just my personal preference.

NA's are fine and with aftermarket exhaust etcc... (basic mods) you will be able to have all hot hatches and thats all that counts.

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

But if your getting a NA i would have to have a manual as it gives u that bit more control and work to do. Makes up for the loss in speed/power. I wouldnt mind a TT auto as you have more power. Thats just my personal preference.

The Manu button on the auto is highly effective, don't rule the auto out.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Bpu UK Spec – 12.8

No names mentioned, but check the drag racing section.

SZ-R – 14.5

Again, no names but check the section.

Quiet a big difference

Ah - a boosted UK vs an NA? That's fair. :rolleyes:

Compare times of *standard* UK's v SZ-R's. Plus I know that old Supra Pilot did a 14.1 in his SZ-R, so it gets still closer. Might need to shed a few pounds on that UK.

Originally posted by Keith C

Ah - a boosted UK vs an NA? That's fair. :rolleyes:

Compare times of *standard* UK's v SZ-R's. Plus I know that old Supra Pilot did a 14.1 in his SZ-R, so it gets still closer. Might need to shed a few pounds on that UK.

What has Supra Pilot done to his car? thats really quick!

What a great thread! :thumbs:

Some great points but a bit too much "get a TT" from some people.

I was thinking of getting nitrous as Faye pointed out at the start of the thread, but ive had second thoughts about it because when i come to sell it (lets be honest, if you knew a car had been running nitrous a lot of people would be put off, i know i would be) it might be a tad harder to sell.

I drove a TT before i bought my NA. The TT did feel very fast but i was expecting the NA to be a lot slower, but it wasnt. Also i wanted a bodykit and wheels to come with it and thats when i found her looking at me! How could you refuse?!?! :cool:

my supra.jpg

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

i wouldnt take that if u gave it too me trig :D

U do realise ill kick ur arse at pod, when we decide to do our little race :devil:

Mainly because you got so much MDF in boot i should win lol

PMSL!! :D

you mean the race where my spare wheel is out and all that MDF is out too (i can take it out ya know!) and with my Blitz air filter and brand spanking new RSR exhaust!?!?

PS: And the fact you drive like a girl!! :D

Still think you will win??:flame Dev

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Hey whens this race ???

My go faster seats should whup the lot of ya's :p :p

Oh that an the TT engine I sneak in LOL:baa:

Sorry DB NA's only!! :D :p

lets hope your turbos dont blow eh! :p