The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning the n/a

Tom

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Faye

I'm a coward, I won't take the risk of being the experimental car and having all the aggro that may go with it, especially as my technical knowledge it just about zilch.

True, that is the appeal of the GTE, it has been done before in the UK, and is therefore more straightforward. Still, for sub-10k, you can have a NA-T to kick every single BPU/hybrid car here.

does anyone know who has a highly modded (power) NA ? what sort of power can it put out and what are the costs involved ? i just asking for real world examples here in the UK. i know that engine porting, cams, manifolds etc plus nitrous can make for an extremely lively car but was wondering if anyone has gone down that route and what their experiences were .. ? :)

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

Paul - you don't even know where the turbo's are! Why bother lifting the bonnet???

And haven't you seen the work Nick (NWS25) has done to tart up a similar looking 7M engine bay.

God Alex you have a good memory, but I think you’ll find that when I asked that question I’d only just bought my car, and hadn’t a clue where anything was, this isn’t the case now. No I havn’t seen his engine bay, but I’m sure it’s nice. I just prefer the look of the TT engine…..

And Syed, why don’t YOU produce a NA-T and try and kick my arse? Your only saying this because one of your many rides is a N/A, so you convert it and I’ll race you. But you’ll need to spend £5k on a kit, then have it fitted, upgrade the fuel, clutch etc……but if you want to spend this just to prove a point then go ahead...

Bit more than sub £10k mate for a N/A-T LOL

Paul :)

Originally posted by Paul Laing

And Syed, why don’t YOU produce a NA-T and try and kick my arse? Your only saying this because one of your many rides is a N/A, so you convert it and I’ll race you. But you’ll need to spend £5k on a kit, then have it fitted, upgrade the fuel, clutch etc……but if you want to spend this just to prove a point then go ahead...

Bit more than sub £10k mate for a N/A-T LOL

Paul :)

Paul, you seem to know nothing, so why not say nothing?

NA-T for 10k, yes.

And I prefer to be faster than you in my TT.

Originally posted by apoc_reg

I have no abs no traction control and most annoyingly the thing that really gets to me is i have no electric foldding mirrors:)

Other than that i love my car!

Quite right!

Syed, I'd happily share info, I'm all for making the cars as good as they can be, I just wouldn't know where to start.

Originally posted by Syed Shah

There are lots of very fast ones in the US, and lots of info to boot.

The problem with the UK, is that it will have to be done 10 times before someone is mature enough share some info. :rolleyes:

i can see a visit to SF coming on shortly. it's a pity for the UK community that there aren't any big power NA's around. i'm sure given the tuning potential of the 2jz, and possibly lower (maybe?) tuning costs - it would have been something several people would have been interested in!

Come on guys lets not get into a bitchy my car is faster than yours, big dick/small dick pissing contest and keep it real dudes:p

It would seem the Yanks have done most things with the Supe, but I'm always dubious when quoting like for like.

Its easy to say they have 700BHP NA but they also have 1100 BHP single turbo mosters. None of which we seem to be able to get close to in the UK.

I'm don't see why an NA with a turbo would destroy a BPU TT, I can't remember who said that but canthey elaborate why for me? I'm not being argumentative, just intersetd to know what sort of figures we are looking at.

Please dont say beacuse its 100KG lighter or whatever it is, I'll take my cigarette lighter out to even it up then:p

Thing is every post someone puts up there’s always someone to argue over something, it’s stupid!

When I had my N/A I thought about doing this conversion and even spoke to a few garages about doing the conversion but the amount of money to just fit the thing was stupid.

I spoke to Powerhouseracing who I was going to buy the kit from, and they said you’d need to upgrade the fuel, head gasket etc to get any serious power from it. You could just buy the stage 1 kit but it was $5000 and only gave you 320bhp, and 13.3 timed on the track, so it’s not quite a Bpu/hybrids killer is it now?

So it seems like you have a N/A worth say £7000, then you spend $5000 (£3000) not inc delivery to the UK on a turbo kit, then fitting (£2-3000)then your only on the same level as a stock TT for £13000…..no brainer really.

Paul

This is NOT a TT vs. NA thread!!!! FFS...

It's a thread for people wanting to change their NA Supra's - stop teaching people to suck eggs about the straight line performance differences. And it's not about 700hp NA-T conversions either,

"There's probably quite a few more things you can do, the above would almost hit 280bhp if the stated 220/225bhp from factory is true and I dont believe my estimates would be too far out so even a possible 250bhp could be made at the wheels which would be a whole 60bhp rwhp over stock, so is this actually possible or is the above just b/s????"

That was the question. try answering that 1 question!

280bhp in an NA - possible or not???

I say yes - but it will require nitrous, unless you are prepared to fork out for serious internal mods. 280bhp is less than 100bhp/litre and that is a reasonable target.

Bpu UK Spec – 12.8

No names mentioned, but check the drag racing section.

SZ-R – 14.5

Again, no names but check the section.

Quiet a big difference

Maybe, but the actual distance between 1.7 secs isn't really that much.

Its not like you've completey destoyed them and left them back on the start line!

Still I'm fighting the NA corner too much here, I prefer TT's. In fact I would prefer a 5.7 V8 without any of the girly hairdyrers strapped to my engine.

Off to buy a 1967 Ford Mustang now;)

It's a huge difference on a drag strip, or in a straight line. The difference between 12.8 and 13.4 is a lot on a drag strip. If it wasn’t much of a difference (1.7 seconds) then why do some people in this country spend thousands going single turbo trying to get 11 second 1/4 miles? That would only be just over 1 second faster than mine, but it makes loads of difference.

Alex – All I’m doing is answering the questions posted mate

Paul

Yes, but NOS is cheating! LOL, anyone can stick a big shot of NOS onto their cars but how long will it last before it breaks the engine?

Paul

Ummm didn't I say earlier that a crap bag mondeo can manage to be used daily for over a year with nitrous without any problems?? And its Nitrous not NOS! (NOS is a brand)

Faye - please do ask Mandy...

Lordy lordy this reminds me of Dangerous Brain's supercharging thread.

There is a difference between the stated goals of

1) I want a really fast upgradeable car

2) I want a really fast upgradeable Supra

3) I want to upgrade my current Supra

Because 1) you start talking about Skylines as well, 2) you advise to get a TT, and 3) you actually help out in a technical fashion based on the model they already have.

We have a 3) situation here so stop treating it like a 2)

As for telling someone to drop their plans, sell their car, and buy a TT because the engine bay doesn't look so nice, I'm gonna pretend I never saw that. Don't make me use my "You are here" picture again.

For NA tuning it's camshafts and headwork. I wonder if, for all this "block and head are the same" talk, the NA head is different because the exhaust ports don't need to be a compromise around the twin turbo exhaust manifold? They may be shaped differently, i.e. more efficiently. Has anyone got the cam specs, are they still staggered?

Nitrous is also a very good bet, it's *not* "cheating" for crying out loud, otherwise so is optimax and water injection and intercoolers, blah blah. Done properly in within good limits it should be fine.

And there is weight lightening - bear in mind Darren's postings and other references to the potential problems with lightened drivetrain components (crank pulley and flywheel), as the balancing goes out the window.

A decent exhaust header and collector would make a difference as well, packaging isn't an issue in the NA. And a decat of course :)

-Ian

Ok,

Steve, it was me who said a NA-T would be faster than any BPU/Hybrid car. Why? Because a NA-T is like a single turbo GTE.

As for being more costly, well lets see:

BL NA-T kit: 4.5k USD

3mm HG 300 USD

Fuel: Budget 2k USD

AEM: Budget 2.5k USD

Total: $9300

Power: What you want, from Jason's to Terry's (old car ;) )

Anyone car to price up a complete hybrid setup (inc FMIC and controls etc)?