The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning the n/a

Tom

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

im expecting to go up august time. If you wana come mate.

I just wana give Trig a Race. his time seems good and as it first time i wana go against a NA as otherwise TT will make me look slow :(

The way you drive a 1.1 fiesta would make you look slow!! :D

PS i was racing a TT almost everytime. he always finished just over a second quicker than me! He also had a FMIC and a couple of other bits too. :baa:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Nic

Tom,

the TOMS ECU is not re-mappable on a dyno, it is baically a standard Toyota ECU with a new processor chip inside and new map already installed.

Ahhh I see, thanks for clearing that up!:) it also seems that 280bhp is in reach knowing that a good gain can be made with the chip, maybe more!

How about weight saving too? im sure this could be a worth while thing to do on the n/a, I think the sz-r weighs around 1400kg and some could be lost through using lighter wheels, seats etc the full exhaust system and exhaust manifold should see a large weight loss across the car.

Would be more important to lose weight nearer the front of the car? as the sz has a 51f/49r distribution so the ideal would either be a 50/50 or 49f/51r?? What weight can be saved nearer the front half of the car?

Also can you buy carbon fibre driveshafts? im sure this could be a good mod to do, should see a power gain and some more weight saved.

Tom, regarding weight-saving, I have been looking at this and got some figures from US sites that apply to TT supras - I don't know how applicable they are to the NA, but here they are anyway. All weights in pounds

Stock exhaust: 35

Lightweight titanium exhaust (e.g. veilside) 9 lb

Stock cats 30

3" downpipe 8

Spare wheel 36

Rear seats 20

Typical battery 37

Lightweight battery 15-20

Stock wheels 25 front, 27 rear

Lightweight wheels (e.g. 18" Volk SE37K) 17

Stock drivers seat 54

Stock passenger seat 34

Lightweight seat (e.g. Recaro Pole Position) 17

Unfortunately, most of it isn't from the front.

As I understand it, the saving in rotational mass from lightweight wheels has a greater effect on acceleration than the relatively small change from stock might suggest.

Regards,

Cliff

OK, as I understand it:

Losing 1 kg off the wheels has a greater effect than losing 1 kg off, say, the seats.

To transmit the force to the road, the engine has to turn the wheels. A heavier wheel has more inertia (mass) to overcome and so will be spun more slowly for the same amount of force from the engine.

The distribution of mass is also a factor, since the further a mass is from the axis of rotation, the harder it is to accelerate it. So I suppose that tyre weight would be a factor, though I don't know if there is significant variation between makes.

Wheel + brake mass also affect handling because the suspension cannot move a greater mass so quickly - therefore it responds less readily to bumps etc.

Unsprung weight I'm not too sure on -or, actually, any of the above. Hopefully some Physics bod will be along shortly to put me right.

Cliff i think that is all accurate.......the advantages of unsprung weight is basically what you described re the wheels and brakes ie lowering them enhances the suspension......

hit a bump and the suspension will be accelerated up, the more weight (mass) there is the more the shock/spring will be worked. Wheels, brakes etc are the bulk of this unsprung weight (i sort of think of it as the weight 'below' the suspension), with the rest of the car / engine etc being supported by the suspension and isolated from the constant suspension travel movement.

A few kilo's weight saving here can improve cornering / handling and acceleration rather than just reducing weight for the sake of the BHP/weight ratio.

I have todate spent about 15k on the love of my life and am extremely pleased with her (not really intersted in anyone elses view they dont drive my car)

I had a boot install, paint job and bonnet vents after had some engine work done.

I had new cams

Custom cold air intake

Nur-spec R Exhaust (nice and loud)

Iridium plugs

uprated ECU (I thought that was called chpping but maybe wrong)

Head ported and polished.

powerhouse ran it on the road rolling just under 265BHP so 280 is possible with a bit more investment.

Nitrous will be my next mod with a progresive controller that will make my baby fly.

TTs are fantastic as are green supras and in fact anything with the owrd Supra in it.

What is really important is how the owner of the vehicle feels about them.mine love her too bits Mandy

That's a hell of a lot of cash! Do you have a breakdown of what you spent it on? ie how much for each bits etc

Does it feel a lot faster? I don't suppose you've done any 0-60, 0-100 or quarter miles times yet...would be nice to know how much difference it all made

I thought you already had a nice boot install? I saw it at one of the meets (Southampton I think) This is the pre-pink stage! Look forward to seeing it in the future.

Originally posted by The Pink Lady

I have todate spent about 15k on the love of my life and am extremely pleased with her (not really intersted in anyone elses view they dont drive my car)

I had a boot install, paint job and bonnet vents after had some engine work done.

I had new cams

Custom cold air intake

Nur-spec R Exhaust (nice and loud)

Iridium plugs

uprated ECU (I thought that was called chpping but maybe wrong)

Head ported and polished.

powerhouse ran it on the road rolling just under 265BHP so 280 is possible with a bit more investment.

Nitrous will be my next mod with a progresive controller that will make my baby fly.

TTs are fantastic as are green supras and in fact anything with the owrd Supra in it.

What is really important is how the owner of the vehicle feels about them.mine love her too bits Mandy

What cams were they, and was the ECU the TOMS one mentioned earlier in the thread?

Blimey, this thread is running, I think it's the first decent thread about NAs where people haven't just given up at "Buy a TT instead"

Fooking hell, loads to come back to, infact I feel like I shouldnt post on this as its really gone by now, but after reading this, firstly to Paul, we dont care what your views are concerning the NA, in fact why are you even in this thread.

Thanks to Alex, Ian, Syed and others I cant remember who have posted good postitive tunnning info on the NA. As I have alerady said this will be done over the course of the next 2/3 years, but something will be done, Pink Lady, keep up the good work, you must be such a small minority.

Ashley – I am on this thread to give an opinion, and I havn’t said a bad word about the N/A, I owned one and loved it!! All I said was that I couldn’t see much point in putting a Turbo on it, and if you search back I got loads of the same feedback when I asked the same question when I had mine, everyone told me you can’t tune the N/A. Use the search button mate, I’m only saying whats already been said!

Opinions are opinions mate, I’ll say what I feel.

Paul

But as others have already said, lets have less of the TT talk, you said others have done it to you, so shouldnt you be breaking the cycle, instead of starting to repeat it. As I said mate, theres not a lot of point bringing all this up now, the heated discussion part is dead, I have some good tuning ideas for the NA now, so lets just leave it at that....... :cool:

Edited: I wasnt looking for opions, quite honestly I dont care what yours or others are, I want tunning ideas for the NA, which Syed, Ian, and Alex have all done.........

I must put this thread done now........

I never wanted to give out the impression I don’t like N/A’s, that Supra you have Ashley when I had it was great, I loved it….maybe even more than the one I own now because I loved the looks of it. I just think keep the N/A as it is, buy a TT if people want more power.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Laing

I never wanted to give out the impression I don’t like N/A’s, that Supra you have Ashley when I had it was great, I loved it….maybe even more than the one I own now because I loved the looks of it. I just think keep the N/A as it is, buy a TT if people want more power.

Paul

But thats the point mate, you havent read what I said earlier, I cant afford to buy a TT, I cant afford to sell her NA, and then stick another 3/4K to it, plus as you said you loved that car, so does Clair, she loves it, she's proud of it, and there for if I went home and said to her I can sell that now and buy a TT for you, she wouldnt, because like a male ego, she isnt bothered so much that its not as quick, although I was racing with 10 other TT's the other night, and 1st and 2nd gear, there is no difference between the two. Anyway without getting side tracked, she's going to keep this car, because a) she loves it, and b) I cant afford anything else, so on that we want tunning ideas that we can do gradually over the next 2/3 years....

Ash, what are your goals mate?

Does she want reasonable 250bhp ish performance or the 300-infinity bhp of a turbo? Does she mind N2O use?

FWIW, I am in the same positon as you, the NA is in wonderful condition (unabused unlike 99.9% of TTs), is the extremely beautiful and is rare green and has already has money spend on it (brakes etc). So the 'sell it for a TT' thing don't work.