The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can You Chip A Supra??????

supra-lover

I mean no offence by this but people like you shouldnt own supra's as you ruin them!

What is this shit about making aero upgrades by adding a rear diffuser? It does fuck all... Its just for looks!

And then theres the chopping of the chassis, are you an aerodynamic expert? Do you even know what a high pressure zone is or did you just read it on wikipedia or some shit?

Rant over :Pling:

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean no offence by this but people like you shouldnt own supra's as you ruin them!

What is this $#@! about making aero upgrades by adding a rear diffuser? It does $#@! all... Its just for looks!

And then theres the chopping of the chassis, are you an aerodynamic expert? Do you even know what a high pressure zone is or did you just read it on wikipedia or some $#@!?

Rant over :Pling:

Let it all out :D

Dek.

Allowing for 10% or more speedo error at the 155 end of the dial, you would be very lucky to have seen 150 and as experienced NA owners will tell you it takes a while to get there. Admittedly they were TT's, but years ago Max power had a kitted MKIV and they put it up against a stock body shape supra with the same power, you can guess which one was quickest in a drag race. The higher the speed the higher the air resistance, and the relationship is not linear the only thing that will overcome it is power. So unless you stick a turbo on an NA you are not going to go much faster than a stock N/A. Lengthening the final drive ratio will slow the car down, as the engine just does not have the grunt necessary to utilise the ratios. Nothing against N/A cars, but you would be far better off improving the handling of the car, so it can out manoeuvre other cars, rather than chasing an ever increasing budget for very little power gain. A well set up NA will be quicker than some TT's at lower speeds.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rapture

m-life. i mean no offence but people like you should'nt get so anal about everything. its MY supra and i can do what i like with it, deal with it!

i'm not stupid but i didnt want to write an essay on here. some of it is aesthetically pleasing with no noticable difference in performance but reducing drag is fuel efficient. i'm not cutting random holes in the bodywork but using existing designs. you can see a lot of these examples on new cars you see on the road today i.e bmw mini rear bumper and jaguar xkr front quaters etc. 'holes' or vents in the bonnet will only be for the cooling. m_life that means no it wont make the car go lots faster!

i have said i am no mechanic expert and sometime i ask questions because i dont have an answer myself. i only know what i feel and see behind the wheel! i didnt know we all need a degree to be on this forum. i'm still on the learning curve and gathering information everyday i only hoped that members here could help.

my little project is a little bit of fun to make my car faster (not just with "holes") and look better.

m_life: you should really consider a new hobbie away from cars maybe it seems to make you so tense.

are you troubled? are you overweight? middle-aged? have an over inflated ego? or just a c***? you can talk to me, let it out, its ok

Edited by Rapture (see edit history)

You missed out...

"Are YOU paying too much for your car insurance"

Pretty sure the BMW has the diffuser for high speed stability.... in other words it will act as a negative influence on the aerodynamics in order to create a streamline profile of air to increase stability. I think the Jag has the vents to aid cooling the brakes.

I can assure you, any hole in any part of the bodywork will increase the drag. I have plenty of holes in my car and it is for the look, pure and simple. I am under no illusions. Remove the spoiler if you want to drop the drag, the rear end might get a tad slippery at silly speeds though. If you hit a pothole and the back end lifts you might not get it back.

Oh, and if you want to increase fuel economy sell the Supra and buy a diesel corsa. The extra 2 miles per tank thanks to removing the spoiler is as much use as using less throttle for 30 seconds per drive.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Guest Rapture

high pressure build up is gcse physics stuff ask anyone with common sense it certainly will not be detrimental. but no m_life i dont know the optimum design or how each molecule reacts with each other and with variables like windflow, high/low pressure and not to mention the chaos theory that makes the sun shine out you a***!

i hope thats techy and anal enough for you.

high pressure build up is gcse physics stuff ask anyone with common sense it certainly will not be detrimental. but no m_life i dont know the optimum design or how each molecule reacts with each other and with variables like windflow, high/low pressure and not to mention the chaos theory that makes the sun shine out you a***!

i hope thats techy and anal enough for you.

How about calming down and quitting the insults directed at certain members. Your a new-ish member and dont need to be making waves. Alot of members on here know what they are talking about and M-life is one of them.

Rapture.. I understand where your coming from but in some circumstances it would be best to listen to people who know a little bit more about supra's than you.. for example m_life :)

Not saying you dont know alot about supra's but just my friendly words of advice :)

hope it all goes well

:hide:

m-life. i mean no offence but people like you should'nt get so anal about everything. its MY supra and i can do what i like with it, deal with it!

i'm not stupid but i didnt want to write an essay on here. some of it is aesthetically pleasing with no noticable difference in performance but reducing drag is fuel efficient. i'm not cutting random holes in the bodywork but using existing designs. you can see a lot of these examples on new cars you see on the road today i.e bmw mini rear bumper and jaguar xkr front quaters etc. 'holes' or vents in the bonnet will only be for the cooling. m_life that means no it wont make the car go lots faster!

i have said i am no mechanic expert and sometime i ask questions because i dont have an answer myself. i only know what i feel and see behind the wheel! i didnt know we all need a degree to be on this forum. i'm still on the learning curve and gathering information everyday i only hoped that members here could help.

my little project is a little bit of fun to make my car faster (not just with "holes") and look better.

m_life: you should really consider a new hobbie away from cars maybe it seems to make you so tense.

are you troubled? are you overweight? middle-aged? have an over inflated ego? or just a c***? you can talk to me, let it out, its ok

You cheeky little bugger, members were trying to help you, stop you from wasting your time and money. Good luck you are going to need it.

Here's my question

When people go for high speed runs do they not COVER up holes and gaps such to reduce air resistance and drag?

They do sometimes, but if you don't have cooling going to the engine it WILL go bang under a long sustained load.