The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can You Chip A Supra??????

supra-lover

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rapture

lol indeed. i've gone for 'autobahn88' exhaust manifold cuz it need replacing soon for another 9 bhp.

as i have some expert attention could i ask if it possibe to lightweight a standard flywheel with engineering? and would it be cost effective?

seems like to much hassel to do the cats what with having to take em off every year for the mot..is there nothing els engine wise i can do?? cheers mate

just take the front one off and get a nice manifold and bypass pipe

see nic for the manifold and chris wilson for the cat bypass pipewill free up some ponys

Guest Rapture

autobahn88 exhaust manifold comes with first de cat as one peice. dont know what a bypass pipe is.

another tech question about the diff this time. is it cheap, easy or even possible to change the final drive? i.e 5 speed manual is out of revs around about 167mph and know with a sleightly longer gearing could go faster. im aware you have to trade with acceleration but having a longer 1st, 2nd and 5th could be good!

thanks

david.

autobahn88 exhaust manifold comes with first de cat as one peice. dont know what a bypass pipe is.

another tech question about the diff this time. is it cheap, easy or even possible to change the final drive? i.e 5 speed manual is out of revs around about 167mph and know with a sleightly longer gearing could go faster. im aware you have to trade with acceleration but having a longer 1st, 2nd and 5th could be good!

thanks

david.

It's a fair question you ask, but I fear people may not respond until 2014, but good luck.

is it cheap, easy or even possible to change the final drive? i.e 5 speed manual is out of revs around about 167mph and know with a sleightly longer gearing could go faster.

You could fit a TT final drive to raise the gearing, however an NA will just not have the power to use it at those sort of speeds. Infact I'd be surprised if you are able to max out the stock gearing.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest Rapture

has a little left in the red line but all the torque is lower down between 5 and 6000rpm, longer 5th better for motorway driving also.

im introducing some aerodynamic upgrades. im hoping to get the 'shine auto rear diffuser group buy' from paul whiffin. need 5 people to get a good price on it so take a look!

i will be cutting into my bodywork, cutting vents behind the front wheels and in the rear bumper to reduce high pressure and friction build up.

obviously its not going to make a huge difference at high speeds may be worth a go :)

nic: can the final drive change job be done at any lsd overhaulers? how much longer is the tt? or whats the redline on tt 5 speed? i'm looking for specs but cant find any.

thanks

i had a damn good try at maxing my old na and it just couldnt quite do it. 155 and screaming :p id be verry surprised to see one do 165

little point anyway. unless your in the desert somewhere. roads here are not good or long or quiet enough, took mine ages to get to that speed.

Guest Rapture

little point anyway. unless your in the desert somewhere. roads here are not good or long or quiet enough, took mine ages to get to that speed.

ah i see you have not been on the a120 @ 4am lol. your right it does take a lil while to get there but it's a cheap thrill for me!

i was 1/3 into the redline and speedo saying 167ish, i have 18'' wheels, tyres 40mm height. not sure is this affects the result on speedo by anything? it feels faster than 155, i need more info really.

Edited by Rapture
add (see edit history)

I could not wait to 2014.;)

Without significant extra power, lengthening the final drive ratio will just give the car even slower acceleration than it has now, for a top speed you will hardly ever use. I think Toyota spent millions on developing the car so they probably got the drag down to as low as it could go, chopping holes may not produce the effect you are hoping for as it will create undesirable turbulence in the air flow round the car which will induce more drag.

i have 18'' wheels, tyres 40mm height. not sure is this affects the result on speedo by anything?

I hope 40 is the Aspect Ratio of the tyre not the tyre wall height.

Post the actual sizes of the tyres (width and aspect ratio, front and rear) and we'll be able to tell you if they are close to stock or not, which would effect the speed.

Guest Rapture

ok cool, just been looking for a cheaper alternative to a six speed box. thats a no no for me because hopefully in the not too distant future (couple years) change engine.

i'm still going to butcher the bodywork :)

Guest Rapture

just guna get a few more horses from the engine i.e exhaust manifold with de-cat, ignition upgrade, make car lightweight not too extreme, ac out, rear seats, car came with couple bits too. i.e suspension, induction, cat back exhaust, front strut light weight wheels. im looking to change antiroll bars, racing battery behind rear passenger side footwell, rear strut brace. get racing seats in.

i will change engine some point it does not have the power i desire but for a rookie on a budget perfect a lot of the parts i can find cheap. i've always wanted a supra.

if i tt'd it i wouldnt be able to drive it because i wouldnt be able to afford it.