The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC.Is it worth the money?

paul ashton

hmmm starting to see a picture that when well set up and used appropriately for the conditions it is the awesome bit of kit it claims to be, but you should not rely on it, take it forgranted and become cocky or over confident - and you should be able to handle the car without it.

People will still always crash no matter what their setup is. People still crash into the back of people with ABS, with 4wd, with bigger brakes. these are all ways to make improvements but are not silver bullets.

Considering we all know the supra can be a handful and it's Achilles’ heel is traction, I'd expect this product to be spot on for the car.

but if you drive like a loon with no respect, no amount of gadgets will save you.

one last thought. Been a member on here for a year or so. I've read countless posts about 'I've crashed and I wish I had RLTC as I think it would have helped a lot, I'll be sure it is my first mod next time' and very few 'I crashed and I was relying on RLTC to save me but it couldn't threads'...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it cant change the laws of physics, if your going too fast for the road conditions your going to lose it.

That's why some people get it wrong. It will not glue you to the road. Enter a sharp bend too fast and you'll go off exactly the same as without RL.

However, get round that bend and you'll be able to get the power down sooner.;)

Jake, was it proven with Far's & Neil's that it was a faulty RLTC unit that caused the crash ? or that RLTC did not do what is says on the tin ?
Proven? I don't know how it could be proven when the car is a crumpled heap and the owner never gets it back.

I'm not saying that you can't have a faulty unit, bad install etc...but, your post reads that 3 cars have been written off due to RLTC, which, I question.
I don't think I said they were writen off due to RLTC.

The fact is that they all had loss-of-traction related crashes in cars with RLTC.

I've never rated TC systems...they take a lot of involvement out of driving. If you take a big chunk of driver involvement out of driving then you inherently loose a percentage of concentration and interest (to a certain degree).

When pushing it on a slipery surface you need 100% in both departments.

Further to this I do believe that TC systems give you a false sense of security.... a lot of people seem to think you give more grip when going round corners. A TC system does not change the grip co-efficient of your tyres.

I think instead of a TC system being a good modification a better one would be a good LSD. These can help stabalise a car when accelerating or decelerating when entering or exiting a corner.

For big big BHP cars I suppose its a different case of factors; a TC system is more of a necessity because you have a so much of the power rev range which can not be put onto the road when cornering.

When pushing it on a slipery surface you need 100% in both departments.

Interesting sentance. (We're talking street use really, track bods wouldn't use RLTC?)

Surely the answer is DON'T push a Supra in slippery conditions! The best traction control system is YOU being sensible. :)

I think instead of a TC system being a good modification a better one would be a good LSD. These can help stabalise a car when accelerating or decelerating when entering or exiting a corner.

I for one would consider a TRD LSD above further power increasing mods on my own car.

Having bought the RLTC unit that was in HiSupe's car I can vouch that it does what is says on the tin :)

AFAIK HiSupe hit a rather large oil slick right in the middle of a roundabout ... RLTC relies on traction, but he had none in that instance :(

As others have said, with the right config file (expertly tweaked by Terminator) RLTC works very well indeed. Driving in the wet becomes a pleasure rather than being in constant paranoia that you're going to lose the back end at any point!

I'd give it a hearty :thumbs:

I know what you're trying to say here but......"grip co-efficient"???

:blink:

Tire grip coefficient- This is the friction coefficient between the driving tire (S) and the road surface. A value of 1 would indicate that if 100% of the vehicle's weight was on the driving tire(s), the vehicle could accelerate at 1g (about 32 feet per second per second or 21.92 miles per hour per second). A vehicle accelerating at 1 g would reach 60 miles per hour in slightly less than 3 seconds. If only 50% of the weight was on the same tire(s) shown above, the vehicle could accelerate at only .5g. Thus, the static rear weight distribution and weight transfer is crucial in determining traction. The tire grip/friction coefficient is dependent not only on the tire, but also the road or track surface. Typical values for good street tires on good asphalt range around .8-.85, with very wide street tires sometimes exceeding .9-.95. Some oval track race tires can hold 1.2 g. An 8" slick rates roughly around 1.5, while a wider and taller 10" slick may be as high as 2.4-2.5. Top fuel dragster and funnycar tires rate at about 4. In real world applications, this value can be tinkered with to match actual 60 foot times at the drag strip if the real tires are at their traction limit during that part of the run.

:)

I think it's a great addition, and I too was not convinced unil I fitted one and set it up nicely. On a track day, in the wet, I'd be quicker without it on, but we don't drive like we are on track when on the road (well some of you do, I know, but *I* don't.... :)) As many have said though, it's an additional safety device, like ABS, and does not make the car rewrite the physics books.

Tyre - I hate bastardised American English.

Pretty funny considering it was an American who invented the tire and that is it's original spelling, so you are the one using the bastardised version.

While I am on the subject of bastardising ones language. Might I point out this fact to you:

Definition

There is no formal definition of British English other than that it is a term used (linguists apart, especially by Americans) to describe English as used in the United Kingdom. As with many other aspects of British culture, the language is governed by convention rather than formal code: there is no equivalent body to the Académie française, and the authoritative dictionaries (e.g. Oxford English Dictionary, Chambers Dictionary, Collins Dictionary) record usage rather than prescribe it. As a result there is significant variation in grammar, usage, spelling, and vocabulary within English as used in the UK, and lively, idiomatic uses of the language are commonplace. In addition, vocabulary and usage change with time; words are freely borrowed from other languages and other strains of English, and neologisms are frequent.

Take that and smoke it in your pipe. :D

Sorry to go off topic .... :innocent:

Tire grip coefficient- This is the friction coefficient between the driving tire (S) and the road surface. A value of 1 would indicate that if 100% of the vehicle's weight was on the driving tire(s), the vehicle could accelerate at 1g (about 32 feet per second per second or 21.92 miles per hour per second). A vehicle accelerating at 1 g would reach 60 miles per hour in slightly less than 3 seconds. If only 50% of the weight was on the same tire(s) shown above, the vehicle could accelerate at only .5g. Thus, the static rear weight distribution and weight transfer is crucial in determining traction. The tire grip/friction coefficient is dependent not only on the tire, but also the road or track surface. Typical values for good street tires on good asphalt range around .8-.85, with very wide street tires sometimes exceeding .9-.95. Some oval track race tires can hold 1.2 g. An 8" slick rates roughly around 1.5, while a wider and taller 10" slick may be as high as 2.4-2.5. Top fuel dragster and funnycar tires rate at about 4. In real world applications, this value can be tinkered with to match actual 60 foot times at the drag strip if the real tires are at their traction limit during that part of the run.

Like I said, I knew what he was trying to say. What was on my mind was that it is really the coefficient of friction. When I studued elementary mechanics, I never heard of anything like 'grip coefficient'.

Sorry for being pedantic.

Like I said, I knew what he was trying to say. What was on my mind was that it is really the coefficient of friction. When I studued elementary mechanics, I never heard of anything like 'grip coefficient'.

Sorry for being pedantic.

Pedantic, who is pedantic? but there is no simple single coefficient of friction anyway is there? When coefficient of friction is typically used it usually refers to sliding friction which is not what we mean by 'grip'...

Friction can be measured as the static coefficient of friction and sliding coefficient of friction. We would like to stay within the static value and this is what we mean by the 'grip' of tyres. The worse the sliding friction, once it starts to go the harder it will be to recover (i.e. once it skids the more unrecoverable it will be). There is also rolling friction which we don't really care about here.

PS: 'Tyres' please :p the forum is British? :p

The forum is mostly British but to save anyone from overseas getting confused tyres should now be referred to as rubber rings.

:D

Honestly I don't care which one is used. I'm not the one with the hang up about it. :innocent: