The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC.Is it worth the money?

paul ashton

Totally off topic now.

Pretty funny considering it was an American who invented the tire

Robert William Thomson (a Scott) invented it.

Thomson was only 23 years old when he patented the pneumatic tyre, he was granted a patent in France in 1846 and in the USA in 1847.

Note I also didn't say "British" English. Just English.

American English was inherited from British colonization where IMHO the simpler phonetics and spellings served "to lower in quality or character" - which is the dictionary definition of bastardise. (Although I'm sure the Webster Dictionary lists it as a type of small furry animal or something)

You might find this useful

So you prefer the bastardised French influenced form

You might as well say Latin and German influences too and be done with it. All depends how far you want to go back.

The forum is mostly British but to save anyone from overseas getting confused tyres should now be referred to as rubber rings.

Fine by me.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, it was Robert William Thomson who invented the tyre.

That link serves no purpose for me mate, I am not the one with the problem accepting that others in the world might have different spellings for words. :)

The colonial days are over you know. ;)

Fair enough, it was Robert William Thomson who invented the tyre.

That link serves no purpose for me mate, I am not the one with the problem accepting that others in the world might have different spellings for words. :)

The colonial days are over you know. ;)

You go Joe:d I dunno everyone knows what they are whatever way you say it.

All this next generation TXT speek and we are worried about Tyre/tire..who cares .:p

Therein lies the problem :cry:

LOL I don't , But hey I come from a colourful backround/cultures. So I'm used to accepting different ways of spelling and comunication.

I talk poo 99.9% of the time and my spelling is awful without even going into how its pronounced and i get along OK LOL......Only jesting;) Bit like when you go abroad ..shouting it louder in English gets you what you want and you don't see them moaning......Much

Aha - converted! ;)

Awww.. but you have to laugh at "Boot - Your car's trunk. In England, elephants have trunks, not cars!"

Trunk is used for a large case in the States, cars came with this space in the back that people put things in that was larger then a breadbox. :p

I can fully understand why you would call it a boot over here as that was just about what you could fit into a British car compared to American cars.

And women wear bonnets....

If you wanted to be pedantic enough to check just about every post I have made on this forum since I have been here you would see that I spell words in commonwealth English. I have no problem with it at all. :)

Bit like when you go abroad ..shouting it louder in English gets you what you want and you don't see them moaning......Much

Oh no I don't do that! Everywhere I go I'll make a best attempt to speak as much of the local language as I can. The only one that had me stumped so far was when I drove back through Italy last year - it wasn't planned and I knew not one word and felt this small. Lots of careful sign language ensued.

I can fully understand why you would call it a boot over here as that was just about what you could fit into a British car compared to American cars.

LOL - I think you're right!

I had RLTC fitted by Sextons when I bought the car over, and I have to say I can think of four times in the past two years where it has "saved" me from getting into shmuck, and Im not a partitcularly "fast" or brainless driver either. In fact, I like to think I drive quite carefully and show the car plenty of "sympathy", so to speak!

My excess was £920 in the first year, so as far as I was concerned even by saving me once it paid for itself.

Though as some of the members have alluded to, that doesnt mean that you are infallible and it will save you from everything! Its just nice to have that backup there if something does go wrong, and if you think about it a repair to a damaged wing/panel etc will set you back at least £300-400, and RLTC is not much more so......

It maximises the grip available. If there isn't any, you're going to stack it. I have 1 roundabout on the way into work around which I can get the tail out without even touching the accelerator - no way is RLTC going to help in that situation.

Places where it can help though are ones like I had last week - pulling onto a busy M25 roundabout in the rain, I can just get the foot down and get onto the roundabout without having to worry that I'm going to end up facing the wrong way.

It's also great for those 'unexpected' moments, when you hit a patch of something, or go over a road marking. It gives you a 'second chance' to get yoursellf out of whatever mess you're in.

thats the one thought Ive been having..

Is it really worth dropping £600 over? I dont have ANY traction at all on mine and Ive not had any problems what so ever..

I know exactly when she is going to break free and im not 100% convinced the RLTC would make a massive difference. The fact that Lee's car broke free in the rain on a straight with RLTC makes me think its really not worth it.

I think a lot of people also get cocky when they install the unit and dont always realise when its taking over and helping them so keep pushing their luck.

Being a NA to single convertee with no traction control this also applies to me, you just have to respect the road conditions.... no moments yet:)

I am new to the Supra and apart from a Capri in the bad old days, haven't been near a rear wheel drive for ages.

A few years with a Scooby taught me to drive like a twat and I crave to leave a roundabout again in a (relatively) straight line as this is where I get my kicks. My Supe has stock traction control and is the most frustrating thing ever when I forget to switch it off.

I am 99% convinced about rltc and am about to order with the group buy. Can someone let me now what the launch thingy is and does it also take over initial accelaration, or is it just an extension of the TC? Just wondering if this is something else to remember to switch on (or off for those snaking starts) or if you just hit the green button and hang on.

I am new to the Supra and apart from a Capri in the bad old days, haven't been near a rear wheel drive for ages.

A few years with a Scooby taught me to drive like a twat and I crave to leave a roundabout again in a (relatively) straight line as this is where I get my kicks. My Supe has stock traction control and is the most frustrating thing ever when I forget to switch it off.

I am 99% convinced about rltc and am about to order with the group buy. Can someone let me now what the launch thingy is and does it also take over initial accelaration, or is it just an extension of the TC? Just wondering if this is something else to remember to switch on (or off for those snaking starts) or if you just hit the green button and hang on.

Is your car an Auto ?

If so do not bother with Launch control.... ;)

Hi Gamer,

It's a Tiptronic. Great fun and all that with the buttons on the steering wheel but would be better with 6 gears than 4. First semi auto I've ever had and I quite like the fact that I can get through roundabouts etc by driving with my knees whilst rolling a ciggy! The downside is my left leg has now suffered muscle wastage and I can only walk around in circles!!!

So tell me more about launch control?????

Thanks Jake and Gamer,

Looks like you just saved me a few quid.

So in summary I still don't understand what the launch control does but I have to remain ignorant coz I don't need it anyway :conf:

What about the digital adjuster??? Is that a sexy gadget for the launch control only or can I have that?

It's just that the words launch and digital make me ... :drool:

whilst the word standard makes me.... :yawn:

if you know what I mean ;)

I think you apprieciate RLTC more - when you see it doing its job. I find most of the time in the dry, if it wasn't for my AFR gauge .. I wouldn't be aware that it's working in the background.

But in the wet - that's when I can definately feel it working.

I toyed with the idea of one of those too, but I've decided it's an expensive bit of bling. Ask yourself this. Once it's all setup how you want it do you think you'll want to keep fiddling with the settings?

Ooh, can I have a go at this one.

I think the answer is 'never' or as near as. Once you have a good winter setting just turn the adjuster for dry conditions. I went round yesterday with stock TC off AND RL switched off. Proper hardcore, I tell thee.;)

I have checked a previous thread to this now and I think that the standard box has a 5 click knob whilst the digital has a volume type knob with some pretty displays on it. So in answer to Pete's posting I would want to change the setting frequently (for variances in weather and mindset) but totally agree that it is expensive bling.

I have the facelift dashboard which is proportionally designed and I already feel cluttered by the road angel and turbo boost boxes.

Appreciating this is lightweight to others who add pillar and passenger dials but has anyone considered mounting these 'black boxes' in a central overhead console.

Accepting I am yearning for the pilots life it seems a reasonable idea and as I like driving from the back seat they would be easily accesible.

Obviously this would be stupid with an aerotop as it would take ages to disconnect as soon as the sun came out!

Is anyone using the full throttle shifting addon for the RLTC, if they are I would be interested in your opinion of it, see details here

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control-Technical-Full_Throttle_Shift

I've considered this idea for a while as I new I'd be getting RLTC at some stage and new the options on it.

From what I understand it is a bit savage on the clutch though (as you can imagine) so this, coupled with the fact that on the public road I doubt I'd be ready to use it much put me off of it. You have to add a switch on the clutch pedal for it to work obviously...