The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Sick MKIV

oxygene

Just spoke to McCarthy Toyota.

They have got all the parts except the HG Kit which should come in shortly. I am going to get the parts down to Abbey Motorsport this afternoon after work so they can fit them. TC's should be back by the end of the week so they can be fitted with the TC gasket kit and the HG should be in latest saturday morning...

Fingers crossed for getting it finished before christmas.

Will let you know more, when I do...

Sorry again for acting like a jerk this morning.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems a lot of money. would in not have been cheaper to get another uk engine or maybe a small single. no point rushing to get it back for christmas. you could have bought a small cheap auto car for a runabout giving you a chance to get your head together. i know small auto cars are thin on the ground. but if you could have drove a manual there is lots of cheap cars to get you by. save on rental charges.

and as for not buying stock j spec turbos its a load of tosh. you take a chance buying anything second hand be it uk or jap.

seems like you having a bad time

hope you get it sorted

ps one of my mates refurbished his uk spec turbos that blew, but he does drive his car hard.

I cant drive a manual, which makes things a lot harder.

I spoke to Scott at Abbey yesterday and he had lined up a manual car for me, then found out I could only drive an auto DOH!!! I did thank him for his efforts though :)

Money aside I just wanna get the car back and the garage she is with was highly recommended, they have been doin this stuff for 30 odd years! So I know she is in good hands, granted their charges may be higher, but I know Im gonna get a good job done.

I will keep you all informed of developments.

I picked up the HG kit and head bolts from McCarthy this morning and took them down to Abbey. They now have all the parts to put the lump back together, they are now just waiting on the TC's to come back from Turbo Dynamics.

I spoke to Abbey yesterday about the TC's and they said that the 1st turbo had got a crack in the casing down to the wastegate and needed repair :( but they said it wasnt a hard job and the TC's should be back soon.

Im hoping its gonna be ready before xmas, fingers X'd

You know the Vauxhall with no heating, well its now been replaced. Enterprise bought a Nissan ALmera to my workplace earlier this afternoon.

Lets hope thats more reliable than the Poxall!!!

Will let you all know more when I do.

Originally posted by oxygene

He said there was a conversion pipe that would make em fit...?

Plus they are steel blade turbos not ceramics...

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! its 8:37 and I already wanna go home....

I didn't mention anything about a conversion pipe, but did say you will need a UK spec 1st cat or cat replacement pipe.

Originally posted by Paul E

Not sure that a pipe is enough - I thought the fixing bolt holes were different?

Sorry - didn't make myself clear - I know that they (UK) are steel internals - just that if the alternative was buying japanese second hand then I would think very carefully about it!

Uk manifold will bolt directly onto J-spec block Paul, no doubt.

Originally posted by oxygene

I picked up the HG kit and head bolts from McCarthy this morning and took them down to Abbey. They now have all the parts to put the lump back together, they are now just waiting on the TC's to come back from Turbo Dynamics.

I spoke to Abbey yesterday about the TC's and they said that the 1st turbo had got a crack in the casing down to the wastegate and needed repair :( but they said it wasnt a hard job and the TC's should be back soon.

Im hoping its gonna be ready before xmas, fingers X'd

You know the Vauxhall with no heating, well its now been replaced. Enterprise bought a Nissan ALmera to my workplace earlier this afternoon.

Lets hope thats more reliable than the Poxall!!!

Will let you all know more when I do.

Do I read this as they are going to have the cast iron part of the turbo housing (turbine or exhaust housing) welded? :eek:

Hi Guyz

It would appear, that statements that I am posting up here, about the current events of my cars progress, plus also questions I am asking Abbey Motorsport about certain aspects of the repair after your reponses to my original posts are causing them to become upset with me.

They have hinted that I am being swayed by persons on the list that have alternate opinions and may not have the expertise and knowledge that themselves and Turbo Dynamics have got. They are not saying what persons on the list have said is untrue, but are questioning my faith in their completing the job.

They have implied, that I am unhappy with the repair they are doing, as I question aspects of the repair on a regular basis. I have told them this is not the case and I am only questioning things I dont understand, plus also due to the amount of money that is due on the repair, I need to make sure everything is going to be ok in my own mind.

To that end, I will not be posting up anymore information about this repair, until I get it back from the garage. Which is a shame, as you have been very helpful to me during this time, but after incidents like the one last saturday morning and also this morning, I think it would be better not to say anything more.

Thank you all again, for all of your support.

Yeah I know and I have praised them at every step.

What they are complainng about, is when I speak to you all about the days events and what I have found out, someone has posted back with a comment, which seems plausable and I have asked Abbey a question about it. This question has sparked them off to think I am questioning their integrity as a garage and also the suppliers they are using, in this case Turbo Dynamics.

I have tried to tell them this is not the case and all I am asking for, is because I dont know/understand whats going on and am asking to gain some knowledge. They are taking this as a direct dig, thus my last post.

Hey Ash,

Hope it all gets sorted soon mate and goes without any problems.

As for Abbey reading the thread and getting annoyed with you...that seems a bit off to me. If I was spending £3k on something I didn't know that much about then I'd be asking as many questions as possible to as many reputable and trusted people as possible. On the other hand thay do have a fairly good reputation especially with the Nissan boys so I'm sure you'll ahve no problems.

Good luck mate. Let us know how it's going, and if it bothers you just don't put anything "opinionated" in your posts then surely they can't complain to you about it.

Dan

As far as I know I havent posted anything opinionated....but I think I know what the problem is.

These guyz have people take their cars to them and tell them to do the work and call me when its ready, as they have another car they can drive away and dont need to rely on the car in for repair. Abbey then get on with the car, no more said

Me on the other hand, my supra is the ony car I own and I use it everyday for getting to work etc. So for me, them having my car in for repair is a real PITA and I want ethcar back as soon as possible, considering I am paying out a stupid amount of money for car hire.

Also due to my lack of knowledge about cars, I have often contacted them about aspects of the repair. Not that I am doubting them as a garage, but as I dont know enough about whats happening to the car.

I am quite sure that with their usual customers, who are more technically/mechanically minded, know what Abbey are going to do during the repair/work to their vehicles and dont need to ask questions.

Unfortunately, I am still learning and I think my inexperience angers them, as they take it that I am losing confidence in their completing the job successfully.

Which is not the case, I am just concerned about my car as I have never had anything like this done before and the amount of money that needs to be spent out, which may be a small amount to them, in light of some of the jobs they underake, is a large amount of money to me.

Well its monday morning, 2.5ish days before they shut down for the christmas period. I am hoping my turbo chargers have come back from Turbo Dynamics and Abbey can fit them and start to get the job finished.

I really don't think there has been anything in any of this thread which has put abbey down, I have been following it with some vigour and I think Abbey are unjustified in what they are saying,Im sure the Skyline boys discuss work etc on there site so I think there shouldn't be any issues posting up the various stages of work - if anything as Abbey are doing (what seems like) such a good job it should bring them more business and more public awareness within the supra community.

Free advertising shouldnt be frowned upon by abbey but welcomed with open arms - after all they haven't got anything to hide have they ?

Free advertising shouldnt be frowned upon by abbey but welcomed with open arms - after all they haven't got anything to hide have they ?

Well you wouldn't think so.

As I said before, I think its just a case, they expect their customers to leave the car with them and not ask any questions about the work. Abbey pride themselves with over 30 years experience and have many satisfied customers. Becuase I am asking questions, I think this is what has sparked off the upset.

I would love to phone them this morning and ask them how its all going n stuff, but dont want to rock the boat as it were.

Abbey had nothing to worry about at all from this thread.

They now do. As a result of their attitude I'd never use them or recommend them now. They have done far more harm bitching than if they'd just let the thread run.

FWIW - I have never heard anything but good reports of Turbo Dynamics and I'd be very happy to use them myself :)

Just spoke to abbey

Looks like its possible Im not gonna get my car back before christmas :(

They have got the turbo's back (this morning) but, the chap there told me there is about another 10 hours labour to do on the engine and he doesnt think it will be ready before christmas.

I am likely to have it back in the week commencing the 5th Jan 2004 :(