The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Sick MKIV

oxygene

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash - a hybrid turbo means the standard housings, with Toyota CT12 stamped on them , ie the original toyota part, but slightly machined out inside to fit bigger wheels in there. This is what Leon odoes, and what your company will do. So from the outside a hybrid turbo looks exactly like a stock turbo. Unless you took it off and you had a standard turbo there to compare it to, you wouldn't know.

So, Leons turbos will look just like this other companies turbos, which will look just like your current turbos. Even though you can't see a difference there is one though! Tiny differences in the size and design of the compressor/turbine wheels in the turbo can make a huge difference to how the car drives. The bearing assembly in the centre of the turbo is changed as well, some places will put a new toyota-spec bearing in, but there are different types available, ie ball-bearing, 360 degree thrustbearing etc, and some are better than others. Again, it's not something you can tell by looking at it though, it's real expert stuff.

Not trying to badger you into one course of action you understand, just trying to provide you with info! At the very least, I would do some research into exactly what this company are doing with your turbos, and try and find some previous customers of theirs.

Kewl thx for the info

How much would Leon charge for his hybrid turbos, I have so far been quoted £1633 inc Vat for the turbos.

I am currently stuck the garage have got my car and I need to get it back on the road as soon as possible, but I wanna make sure i get everything done so I dont have a load of problems down the line.

HELP!!!!!

I was at leons on Monday and he has a nice shiney set of stage 3's up there. He estimated 90bhp over stock and £2000 fitted. give him a bell on 01908 367100 for just the turbo price and get your guys to bolt them on.

There is a rumour that some companies are using 2nd hand parts to rebuild the turbos, leons guy 100% guarantees new internals.

edited: Didn't mean that to sound like only leon uses new internals, most companies do, just that a few are using second hand parts. Just make sure you check with Turbo Dynamics that they are using new parts.

Originally posted by oxygene

So Miami Rice how much are your turbo's please

This garage have said £1633 how much are your please....

Hi m8 - yes have a set of brand new ones with machined and rebuilt wastegates ready to go (and this anyone else doesn't have!!)

100% guaranteed new internals (for anyone that might doubt it)

£1650 cash

Dude will stick em in for you! (errrr....so to speak etc etc !)

:p http://www.mpaconsultancy.co.uk/miamirice/engineparts.asp?manuf=Miami+Rice

Originally posted by ad500

There is a rumour that some companies are using 2nd hand parts to rebuild the turbos, leons guy 100% guarantees new internals.

They may be new, but I'm not 100% about his QC. When Leon was fitting mine he noticed that there was too much play in one of the shafts and had to take it back. turned out one of the bearings was cracked.

Ash, I think a head off & head on is quoted at 12hrs work. That excludes any tidying up, skimming etc etc.

I had an email from Ibrar Jabbar last nite. He has a pair of UK (steel blade) TC's and he wants £500 for em. They have done 70kish so I am gonna go for those.....

I just wanna get my car back on the road. I will poss get hybrids, etc at a later date when the money is a bit more fluid.

Answers on a postcard....

He said there was a conversion pipe that would make em fit...?

Plus they are steel blade turbos not ceramics...

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! its 8:37 and I already wanna go home....

Not sure that a pipe is enough - I thought the fixing bolt holes were different?

Sorry - didn't make myself clear - I know that they (UK) are steel internals - just that if the alternative was buying japanese second hand then I would think very carefully about it!

Hi All

It would appear that I have given the impression, that I dont trust the work being done by the garage who have currently got my car in their workshop.

Abbey Motorsport were recommended to me by a friend of mine, who has been taking his Skyline to them for ages and has been very satisfied with their work and compitence of their engineers. So when he knew I needed this work doing, he recommended I took my Supra to Abbey.

I have been made aware that some of the comments I have made, have been misunderstood and it makes it look as though I dont trust the work being done by them.

When I took the car down to Abbey a couple of weeks ago, to get the pressure tests done on my engine, their engineers were very good.

They knew exactly what to test for and their diagnosis was precise. When I left the garage I knew exactly what was wrong with my engine and also had a clear understanding of what was required to put it right.

I got down to Abbey Motor Sport this week and got my car tested.

The results of the tests were not good. The first 4 Cylinders working at about 173psi, the fifth is working at 143psi and the sixth isnt working at all, its running at 0psi.

Lets say they didnt get as far as testing for oil leaks!!

They have quoted me £1320 to remove the head and have said that I may need 2 or more new pistons, plus my inlet vavle isnt working properly??

They say they can prolly get it all done in a week and they can book it in from the 2nd week in December. So I am prolly looking at a bill of at least £1600 if not more!!

I did ponder the possibility of an engine replacement (before taking the car to Abbey) and made some enquiries.

I spoke to a garage who were talking about a replacement engine etc, and they quoted me nearly £4000.

Well the car is only worth £4109 part-ex (did a check on autotrader) so its the cost of the car id be spending out..

Anywayz I am still looking to find the money to get the work done and i will prolly get it booked in the 1st week of dec.

At which point I gave up the idea of an engine replacement and decided to get my current engine repaired. The £4109 was not quoted by Abbey, it was a garage up north (can't remember where)

AdamW made a comment:

I would say that taking the head off is under 10 hours work btw . . . £1300 labour for that sounds WAY OTT!

never having had this sort of work done before I respOnded:

How much have any of you paid for HG's on your MKIV's in the past, gimme some idea maybe I can negotiate with them.?

I am currently looking at a bill of at least £3500+ and if possible I would like to find options/ways of reducing the bill.

I apologise if Abbey Motorosport have mistaken any of my comments as a dig against their workmanship and competence to complete the work.

This is not the case, I have just been trying to reduce the costs by looking into all possible ways of getting the work done. As I said at the start of this post, it would appear I have offended certain parties in this action, for which I apologise.

P.S. Im sorry for the length of this post and hope it makes sense, but there was a lot to be said. Also im not totally on the ball this morning, so some parts of this post may not make total sense.

Hi All

It would appear that I have given the impression, that I dont trust the work being done by the garage who have currently got my car in their workshop.

Ash, I never got the impression through this thread that you had given the wrong impression. I've quickly re-read all the posts and can't see anything you have said or implied against them (unless you#ve been going wild with the Edit button).

If someone is giving you grief then it looks like they are finding problems where one does not exist.

I apologise if Abbey Motorosport have mistaken any of my comments as a dig against their workmanship and competence to complete the work.

I think that someone at Abbey needs to chill out and check their anal retentiveness if they have read anything that sounds remotely like a dig at them

:thumbs:

Or maybe I missed something?

Hi All

Thx for all of your support after my bad communication yesterday morning, its much appreciated.

Im currently trying to make available £3500ish, so if I cant find any other option to my problem, I have got the money to cover the cost of the full repair at Abbey Motorsport.

Its gonna kill, but I need the car back on the road :(

Morning :)

Have got made the money available I need, to get the car repaired and am going to phone the garage this morning to ask them to get the turbos sent off and get things rolling.

I am also gonna ask them to get it finished this week. I can't cope with driving this Poxall Barge any longer. It handles awfully and the petrol consumption is worse than my Supra :(

All in all, a heap of $H!T!!

Anywayz....

They open at 8am and I will be calling not long after, to ask em to get it all finished this week. I have also phoned McCarthy Toyota in Croydon (my usual Toyoyta garage) to get a price on all the gaskets and will phone the garage with the prices when I have them. Hopefully to speed things up.! Well I am trying..?

I am going mental at the moment....I am currently with SWS (Supra Withdrawal Syndrome) I went down to see AG on saturday and she helped my symptoms by taking me out for a spin in her MKIV (Thx hun much appreciated!)

But seriously, I need to get my Supe back, this Barge is awful and is costing more to run than my Supe and Im fed up :(

If anyone from Abbey Motorsport is reading this thread especially this post, I am not and never have slated your company. I just want to get my car back on the road as soon as possible....I do not want a repeat of Saturday morning 9:00am's incident please.

I will post back when I have more news. HOPEFULLY!!