The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Sick MKIV

oxygene

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by TLicense

You would probably know better than me Chris, but would it be possible for the gippy valve that he took a picture of to have got stuck open, meaning there was just no compression?

What would have been the likely cause to make a valve go rammy like that?

Tony License

P.S. Gippy and rammy are real words, just real words that aren't necessaruly in the dictionary :innocent:

I have only ever seen one valve stuck open in over 30 years. Unless it was bent like a wire puzzle through piston cntact, of course!

I very much doubt it would have been stuck open... I was expecting to see a chunk burnt out of the valves sealing surface or something, the one in the pic looks like a normal high mileage valve, with perhaps a fair bit of carbon build up on its surface through worn valve guides / seals and / or cheap oil, Can't see them failing to give some reasonable amount of compression.

Was a piston detonation damaged or melted or something?

well have you got car back yet and how much did it all cost in the end?

Will hopefully be picking the car up this afternoon.

Cost.....including rental of a car for a month, Im looking to pay about £4500.

£3400 of that is the work done on the car alone. Price unverified.

Although Abbey have offered to pay the VAT on the rental car I have had during the time my car has been off the road, which equates to about £160 which is great.

Brings the final bill down slightly.

I am going to leave work at about 2pmish this afternoon and go down there, I will keep you all informed what happens.

it might sound silly but why new turbos when it was a bent valve that cause the lost of compression,

was the bent valve cause by broken valve spring or timing was out and piston hit valve cant think of any other thing that will cause a bent valve then again i am a dumb student what do i know hey!!!!

Originally posted by tony2311

it might sound silly but why new turbos when it was a bent valve that cause the lost of compression,

was the bent valve cause by broken valve spring or timing was out and piston hit valve cant think of any other thing that will cause a bent valve then again i am a dumb student what do i know hey!!!!

Who said it was a bent valve? I am losing my grip on reality in this thread... :conf:

Picked up the car from Abbey yesterday afternoon :) WOO HOO!! :) and it drives like a dream.

They have told me I need to do at least 500 easy miles to let the turbos bed in 'n' stuff. So I have gotta drive sensibly-ish, not like a raving mad man. So last ight I drove to see my parents and came back the same night, well thats just over 200 miles down, 300 to go.

The bill was less than I expected too. Firstly, the rental company I hired the barges from gave me a lower rate on the rental, plusthey gave me a £76 rebate which was great. Plus Abbey gave me the VAT back on the rental car I had, which equated to about £120. Plus the labour was less on the actual repair.

So my original estimate of the cost was going to be £3300 for the actual repair and £897 for the car rental. The actual costs were £3057 for the repair and £811 for the rental. A £329 difference, which is great. My Visa card did pass out and needed a cold compress, but didnt require CPR :)

Im enjoying driving again :) and after driving the barges I have done for the last month, I never want her to go into a garage for a long period again.

Nice one Abbey Motorsport, thanks for all your help :thumbs:

So are you going to tell us what was actually wrong with it?

Well I dont know specifically, but looking at the pictures the furring on the valves would deff not help the situation.

Abbey phoned me earlier on as a courtesy call just to make sure all was kewl. I told em I had done 200 miles last nite and all seemed ok.

Im just glad I have her back.

As I said before I now enjoy driving again. The two loners that I had during the period had to be pushed to do any work and it took the fun out of driving....

But last night when I drove to Glous was great....

Just read this whole thread for the first time, start to finish.

Glad to hear you finally have your car back Ash, I know its a real pain, been there myself.

I'm actually very interested to know why the turbo's needed rebuilding when the diagnosis was low compression on 1 cylinder and 0 on another?

If you look on your invioce from Abbey there should be a full breakdown of what work has been done on the engine.

I also know how long things take to get done within the motor trade as I help out a friend of mine at a small tuning company he owns and believe me, relying on parts to be delivered can sometimes be a real pain and put a hold on things.

When ever I hear the name Abbey Motorsport, I think of a very experienced company that produces some very fine cars and after reading all the comments on this thread my thoughts haven't changed. The 1 thing that does strike me as being a little 'off' is the fact that they got funny about the questions you were asking.

Still, its good that you have your Sup back again.

:)

I'm actually very interested to know why the turbo's needed rebuilding when the diagnosis was low compression on 1 cylinder and 0 on another?

Well from what I remember them saying, the turbos werent turning freely and they said that this was not good, but considering the age of them (128,000 miles) they had done very well.

I also know how long things take to get done within the motor trade as I help out a friend of mine at a small tuning company he owns and believe me, relying on parts to be delivered can sometimes be a real pain and put a hold on things.

Thats why I sourced and delivered the parts to them myself. McCarthy who I usually use to do all my servicing are very good at sourcing parts. They sourced all the parts in the space of about 6 days.

When ever I hear the name Abbey Motorsport, I think of a very experienced company that produces some very fine cars and after reading all the comments on this thread my thoughts haven't changed. The 1 thing that does strike me as being a little 'off' is the fact that they got funny about the questions you were asking.

Abbey were highly recommended to me by a friend of mine who has a Skyline and goes to them for all of his servicing. On his word I took the car to Abbey and I cannot fault their work, its 100%. Yes things went a tad pear shaped during the repair, which caused raised voices, but at the end of it all, they helped me out a lot with the cost of the reapir by paying teh VAT on the rental which was £120 and also didnt charge for some of the labour.

Because my Supra is my only car, this was the reason for the urgency of getting it back. If I had another car to run about in, things wouldnt have been so bad. Maybe I need to invest ina run about...?

I suppose 128k miles is not bad for stock j spec turbo's.!! :D

I'd definatly get a runabout. I always made sure I had an old car as a backup. But now I commute into London everyday by train so the Sup never gets used (or cleaned!). You can pick up half decent Clio's or simelar on ebay for a couple a hundred £££.

I picked up an M reg Clio RT 1.4 Lim edition off there for £450. Has 67k miles but had a water leak which turned out to be the waterpump. Paid about £20 for the new pump and it runs perfect now. Its got elecky windows, mirrors, power steering, drivers air bag, alloys, central locking, 4 door, etc... Just right for the Mrs to run about in, she loves it. Also came with 11 months MOT.!! :)

Originally posted by oxygene

Maybe I need to invest ina run about...?

I insisted on using my car for about two years as a daily driver, 70 miles a day to work and back. Anytime a job needed doing it would take time out of my weekend, and as the car became more and more highly tuned it was less and less fun ensuring that it was in a fit state to get me to work every morning. The best £600 I ever spent on the car was on the Mondeo I commute in. I actually enjoy spedning time on the supra now because I can choose when to work on it, it's not getting tired out by the high mileage and getting salt all over it in the winter, and I've knocked about £150 a month off my petrol bill. Which is nice. Do it!