The Nurburgring Trip

AJI

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

plenty of time still to book up and come and join the fun Bobbeh if you're up for it.

I'm stopping in the same hotel as last year. Martyn (RX7) and Darkrider have found a new one within sight of the track !

(I remember seeing the signposts for Spa and Zolder on the way home from last years trip).

Sorry, I missed that completely hehe, I was chatting to Steve when he was going and he was complaining about the lack of decent weekends and gave me the link as evidence, so I thought I'd pass it along. Hes going the end of may for the 4 day stint.

So far for me:

Accomodation for 4 nights about £80 tops

Ferry travel return for £63.50

Insurance - included in policy

Gin = £500 (for the bring home stuff)

taking about 500 quid for petrol and nic naks

1. AJI --- Supra TT (uk)

2. SteveR --- JSpec Supra RZ (TT)

3. Kitch --- ST205 GT-four

4. Stu --- ST205 GT-four

5. Wayne --- Skyline GTR

6. Jspec Germany --- Mike --- Jspec Supra

7. MAC --- Jspec n/a hopefully a uk TT by then

8: michel lane --- supra t

9. cornimac ---supra tt

10. tezzpip---hopefully an n/a when i get back

11. Darkrider666 ---- either NA (hope sold) or Skyline

12. Ian R--- Supra T60 single Turbo :)

1. AJI --- Supra TT (uk)

4. Stu --- ST205 GT-four

5. Wayne --- Skyline GTR

6. Jspec Germany --- Mike --- Jspec Supra + several 350z's/skylines/one s2000.

9. cornimac ---supra tt

12. Ian R--- Supra T60 single Turbo :)

small edit

1. AJI --- Supra TT (uk)

4. Stu --- ST205 GT-four

5. Aaron/Wayne --- Impreza

6. Jspec Germany --- Mike --- Jspec Supra + several 350z's/skylines/one s2000.

9. cornimac ---supra tt

12. Martyn - RX7

13. Ian R--- Supra T60 single Turbo

(seemed to have lost Martyn for a second there... he's now back on the list).

The proposed route in visual form:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/AJI-2004/route.jpg

(Not sure why, but the sat nav program suggests taking the B258 on approach to the nurburgring.... which is why the map shows the route heading north before it heads back southwards again just before the 'ring.

(maybe the more direct route in that area is a bit too narrow?)

We appraoched the 'ring on that road last year and it is nice and scenic.. so I can't foresee any problems.

3 and a half(ish) months to go.... seems like an eternity ! ;-)

if anyone is intrested iam going over via ferry from newcastle or hull. the cost of ferry works out more expensive , but if you work the miles done and travelling time ad additional expense , its about the same cost .

fuel to get down from up here to dover works out about £80 each way , then up to the ring another £80 + tolls. so you are looking at £340 + ferry before you get to the ring . the ferry overnight crossing works out at £265 with cabine and evening meal and breakfast. Then about £40 in petrol to the ring ...

anyone intrested let me know . i have done the ferry trip many times and its a good laugh.

We'll arrive in Calais at around 08:40 and then it will be around 5 hour trip from Calais to the 'ring. We'll be there for around dinnertime. This gives us lots of time to get settled into accommodation and then back to the track in the afternoon to do a few laps or to get to know the area... whatever you want to do really. (I'll be on the track giving it LARGE by the way!!)

Initially we'll head straight to the 'ring car park when we first arrive at the track and then we'll decide a meet up time in the afternoon after everyone is settled into hotels.

It will be a steady drive over to the track so any non-turbo cars will not be left behind ;-)

Also we are taking a route which doesn't have any toll roads.

steve - yeah sure, no problem. The track is basically the same as on the GT4 game when it comes to the sequence of corners and their severity.

You'll notice straight away that what the game doesn't teach you is how much steering input a slight movement of an anologue game controller is relevant to. And although the track is very smooth and consistent there are a few bumps and 'off camber' corners which the game doesn't highlight very well.

The bumps are nothing to worry your suspension by the way... but if you're on a mission and going for a shcumacher lap time then they become very important because at high speed they can unsettle the car quite a lot.

When we all meet up again after settling into accommodation on the friday afternoon I'll lead all you 'ring virgins round for a sighter lap.

But between now and then... be a good idea to learn the corner sequence on GT4 if you have it ;)

Just one point which I think I should mention.... if any of you are running wider than stock tyre widths (either front or rear) and you are also running stock suspension then you may want to fit some spring assistors. These are a cheap solution to not having to buy uprated stiffer suspension.

I found last year on my stock suspension that the tyre was catching the wheel arch slightly on the compression areas of the track.

Spring assistors (usually sold in Halfords) simply slide between your coils and stop the spring compressing too far. They also assist the shocker and add to the stiffness of your stock spring (in turn reducing body roll slightly).

The cost of these are only around £12. And I've got mine fitted for this year's visit.

Top one, thanks dude :)

I have an idea of what to expect from playing Forza Motorsport and watching everything I can find on TV and I have a few videos of professional drivers/cars doing laps. I'll be going less than half the speed I manage on the games I'm sure ;)

I have the uprated option factory suspension (JSpec) and stock rims/tyres, so shoud have no worries there :)