The Nurburgring Trip

AJI

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve do you fancy a mini convoy down to Dover ???

Hi Ian,

sorry dude, been away for the weekend and only just noticed your post :)

I'm going to be picking my girlfriend up from a train station on the way - either Brum or Luton or... not 100% sure yet - it could be fun it it could happen but I have a few details to iron out first mate :)

Hey Aron, I didn't move it mind !!

another day nearer, my supra goes into see the exhaust man 2nd may for a new baffle and padding in the back box

Brakes in May and mid june will be the belt (just in case)!!

• 3 weeks later...

this event is rapidly getting closer.... is everyone sorted out?

All I've still to do is to arrange travel insurance and euro breakdown cover.

I've tried to put as much info into this thread as possible but if you want to ask any questions please do so.

Just one question to the people on the list... how many of you have got euro SatNav? The route to the 'ring is finalised and there will be a minimum of two stopping points between Calais and the track in which we'll have a driving break and re-fuel etc.

***Please all ensure you fill up at Dover.***

If you don't have sat nav and you loose sight of the convoy at any time then there is no worries... the route is straight forward... and you'll be back on track if you bring a Euro Map with you. I'll give out my mobile number at the meet up in Dover, so if you do need to stop for any reason then you can ring me and I'll let you know where we are.

The second stopping point will be close to the German border and I am waiting to hear back from the German owners as to whether they will be meeting up with us at that point or whether they are going to meet up with us later in the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

AJI - give me the spot where you guys are crossing into Germany. I couldn't find it on Mapquest. Can you cut and paste a picture/map? I'll be cruising down with 'Supra Steveo' and whoever else I bring from here. Additionally, I'll have some more military buds froma base South of the Ring meeting us there with a broad mix of cars. Shoot me your cell # also.

Right then... please have a look at the attached image.

The light purple route are the roads we'll be entering Germany on. Basically its the E42 from Dunkerque, until Liege where we join the E40 briefly, and then back onto the E42 southwards towards Germany.

The red dot is the proposed stop point where we will have a rest and re-fuel etc.

The red-yellow arrow is the point where we enter Germany.

Then there are the yellow and blue route options to get to the Nurburgring.

My sat nav suggests the yellow option but the blue option looks quicker.... but it maybe a narrow road or something? Do you know this road at all ?

route option.jpg

I don't know that road dude, but I can ask a buddy who's driven it. I can meet you guys at the refuel spot on that map. Looks like it's just south of Verviers near a town called 'Fays'. Do you have an exit number? There's a faster way to get to the Ring from my house, but it'll be cool to jump in the convoy.

good effort Tom... saw your vote thread the other day.

If you've driven in europe before you'll know of the way that the europeans like to push their way into non-existent gaps in traffic. They will actually try to force their way into a gap which is not long enough for their vehicle !

This happens a lot and in no time there is a big queue of cars between yourself and the lead cars in the convoy.

So its not a speed related issue that you may loose sight of the lead cars. ;-)

But your turbo addition will make a huge difference on track... you'll get a lot more out of your car !

• 2 weeks later...

The Nurburgring track start point - webcam.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg

This view is looking at the toll gates at the start point of the track for the public open days. The long straight you can see going back into the distance upto the top left of the image is the final straight of the track. And the car park is on the left hand side.

The image updates every 30sec (I think) so keep hitting F5 (or refresh) to see if you can see any Supras !!

So far I've seen everything from rare exotica to euro-chavs go through.

This will give you an idea of the variety of machines you'll be overtaking on the track ;-)

• 2 weeks later...