The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Selling a car to the USA

Shane34

Hi all, potentially my supra will be going to the USA.

Is there anything i need to do which is out of the normal when selling a car to stay in the UK. 

What are the options in receiving the funds? Paypal can back transfers work across countries, if so is there fees etc. 

There will definitely be fees for PayPal, I would have thought an international bank transfer would have been the safest way to do it? But I've never had to sell something that's worth thousands of pounds!

Whatever you do, make sure the funds have cleared 100% before you let the car out of your sight!

You wouldn't want to touch anything PayPal. The only way is to have a BACS transfer into your account and then check with the bank that the funds are cleared and secure before releasing the goods. I do a lot of big ticket purchases from the USA and use Forex services so anyone buying, if they have any sense, would do the same as the exchange rates are better than main bank or PayPal rates and fees much lower.

That isn't your concern though, the onus is on the buyer.

19 hours ago, Tommyg_5 said:

I have used Twise a bunch for decent sized sums of money. Their fees are upfront and obvious and very competitive.  Used to be called transfer wise.

Banks rates are stupidly high... or get the seller to pay the fees

iv used them for years too. but HSBC who i bank with have reduced the rates a lot recently. so dont use them as much.  I dont know if people in the USA can use it to send to the UK though.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Anawilliam850 said:

Hi! 

If you are selling your car to a buyer in the USA, there are a few things you should keep in mind:

Export requirements: You may need to obtain an export certificate from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) before the car can leave the UK. You should also check with the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to see if there are any import requirements that need to be met.

Shipping arrangements: You will need to make arrangements to ship the car to the USA. This will involve finding a reliable shipping company and arranging for the car to be picked up from your location in the UK.

Payment: When it comes to receiving payment, PayPal and bank transfers are both options. However, there may be fees involved with each method, and you should check with your bank and PayPal to see what fees apply. Another option is to use a service like TransferWise, which specializes in international money transfers and can often offer lower fees than traditional banks.

Taxes: You should also be aware that there may be tax implications when selling a car to a buyer in another country. You may need to pay taxes on the sale in both the UK and the USA, depending on the specific circumstances.

It's a good idea to consult with a lawyer or accountant who specializes in international transactions to make sure you are complying with all the necessary regulations and requirements.

Are you using ChatGPT for all your answers?