Jump to content
The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop auto N/A


Nick hood
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys

firstly I’m Nick and I live in guernsey in the Channel Islands.

Currently looking at purchasing this aerotop naturally aspirated automatic supra.

 

it has been sat in this place for the last 8/9 years, It’s taken me years to persuade the lovely owner to sell (she has two of them the others a TT auto in black) 

now I have had a little look around and there is the obvious rust in places seeing as it’s not moved or been cleaned. where on these cars is the best place to look as I’m completely new to supras and want to know before I buy if it is actually feesable to purchase if I look in the right places. I absolutely love supras and have done since I was a child. This isn’t my ideal spec but it’s what I can afford at the moment and what’s available locally (there’s 4 in the islands) It will be a long restoration project so will also be looking for oem and aftermarket parts.

looking to manual convert it and done a little research but any information at all into what I can use and where to look is very muchly appreciated.

 

will be getting a full respray top to toe (original colour is 199/ believe to be 583 in the colour made) 

id love to purchase and install a 2jz-GTE in the future aswell but again need to research and see what’s fully needed for the swap.


but first I will need to ease the brakes, do a full major service or all fluids and belts and see if the thing will fire up as currently it doesn’t. She said they tried to start it a couple months ago but it’s pretty obvious that the fuel will be stale as anything and injectors will probably have crap in them now.

 

and lastly I’m not in the current market so what would any of you say the ideal price for a supra in a moderate condition he worth as I’m clueless to this one.

 

cheers for your time and I’m sure I’ll be sticking around.

 

regards

nicholas

595E5FCD-A668-499B-99B8-F7BE3CF863A0.jpeg

217DE313-B8A6-4E02-B9DB-3458CCD4D688.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Parked on grass is usually a sign that the underside is likely to be rather rusty unfortunately.

behind the side skirts is likely to be corroded as well unfortunately.

 

when I purchased a car that had been sitting for a while it turned out to be the starter motor. Which was an easy £40 fix with a second hand one off eBay. 

But the fuel could have easily gone bad and condensation may be in the tank. 
 

At the end of the day these cars don’t come around often so if you can pick it up for the right price, it’s well worth the time and effort. But if you’re looking to pay someone to do all of the work it could be costly 

the rear wing where it meets the door looks pushed in??

Luckily the engines on these  are pretty much spot on and most stuff can be fixed. 

Edited by tayr (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, tayr said:

Parked on grass is usually a sign that the underside is likely to be rather rusty unfortunately.

behind the side skirts is likely to be corroded as well unfortunately.

 

when I purchased a car that had been sitting for a while it turned out to be the starter motor. Which was an easy £40 fix with a second hand one off eBay. 

But the fuel could have easily gone bad and condensation may be in the tank. 
 

At the end of the day these cars don’t come around often so if you can pick it up for the right price, it’s well worth the time and effort. But if you’re looking to pay someone to do all of the work it could be costly 

the rear wing where it meets the door looks pushed in??

Luckily the engines on these  are pretty much spot on and most stuff can be fixed. 

Hi there, 

I thought it at first but it’s actually parked on a brick paved part of the house it’s the weeds that have grown around, I had a little look underneath but without jacking up and properly inspecting I couldn’t see to much but looking behind the skirts is a good shout, if the cills are gone is it something I can buy replacement cills still from factory or are they discontinued.  Also the door is open still as it has up and over door hinges (Lamborghini style) 

 

would under £5000 be a steal of a price? 
 

and that’s amazing to hear that these engines are basically bulletproof considering. It does crank over and isn’t fully seized as that’s the first thing I tried 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick hood said:

Hi there, 

I thought it at first but it’s actually parked on a brick paved part of the house it’s the weeds that have grown around, I had a little look underneath but without jacking up and properly inspecting I couldn’t see to much but looking behind the skirts is a good shout, if the cills are gone is it something I can buy replacement cills still from factory or are they discontinued.  Also the door is open still as it has up and over door hinges (Lamborghini style) 

 

would under £5000 be a steal of a price? 
 

and that’s amazing to hear that these engines are basically bulletproof considering. It does crank over and isn’t fully seized as that’s the first thing I tried 😁

100% yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome I’m glad to hear,

okay perfect when I next go to see the car I will check in these places to have a proper look, fingers crossed it’s not to bad, I’m not expecting it to be perfect by all means but the less rust I find the better chances 😂.

cheers for the help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Nick, I lived on Guernsey about 5 years ago, I was there for about 4 years and I do remember that car being driven around when I first arrived so it must of been taken off the road a year or so after I was there. I never got to see it up close or speak to the owner so can't help in any way but as others have said if you can get it cheap enough it could be a decent buy. Be aware though that these are old cars now and it will almost certainly be hiding some nasty and possibly expensive problems. Good luck with it though if you do get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 2:43 PM, Hammer said:

Welcome Nick, I lived on Guernsey about 5 years ago, I was there for about 4 years and I do remember that car being driven around when I first arrived so it must of been taken off the road a year or so after I was there. I never got to see it up close or speak to the owner so can't help in any way but as others have said if you can get it cheap enough it could be a decent buy. Be aware though that these are old cars now and it will almost certainly be hiding some nasty and possibly expensive problems. Good luck with it though if you do get it. 

Hi that’s awesome, did you have a supra when you lived in guernsey? I had a good look around it today and in all honesty it isn’t horrendous from what I looked at, luckily it’s in brick paved drive. 
 

I do have a question to anyone on here, the brakes are seized solid so I’m looking to get new front and rear disks and pads, gonna rebuild the calipers but that’s sorted. What size front and rear disks will fit as I’ve heard the TT supras have bigger brakes

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Nick hood said:

Hi that’s awesome, did you have a supra when you lived in guernsey? I had a good look around it today and in all honesty it isn’t horrendous from what I looked at, luckily it’s in brick paved drive. 
 

I do have a question to anyone on here, the brakes are seized solid so I’m looking to get new front and rear disks and pads, gonna rebuild the calipers but that’s sorted. What size front and rear disks will fit as I’ve heard the TT supras have bigger brakes

 

 

Welcome!

The big brakes was an option on TT supras (jdm) and standard on EU spec supras.

I would recommend OEM discs and Chris Wilson fast road pads for the small brakes. Some braided lines are always a good addition. 

Make sure you check the brake and fuel lines under the body before driving as they can perish with age rust etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely gasped when I read you could get this for under £5K.  I bet this launched a host of people looking to see if they could locate the car and strike their own deal with the owner.

I’d get that snapped up in a heart beat.  Even if it’s a bit of a plum, it’s priced so low as to probably be worth it’s value in parts alone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep 5k is a bargain, you could strip it and sell it for more easily. If its been sat outside for some time it will take a large amount of cash to get it on the road again, but again at 5k I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Manual swap wise I'd say you're looking at 10k+ for a v160 swap with big diff, pedals, clocks etc. if you go w58 (n/a box) and small diff then maybe half that.

Gte engines are roughly 4k last time I looked 

I suppose the real costs mount up if you get a competent mechanic to do the work, if you're handy with a spanner you'll save a fortune in labour.

Either way get it bought regardless before someone else who see this post gets their grubby mits on it and sells it for 15k after a little service.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mate, yes, took my Supra over, everyday driver. As regards the brakes, I'm pretty sure all aero tops came with the big brake set up (mine did) but I could be wrong, I'm sure someone on here with greater knowledge than me can tell you. I'll try and sort a pic of mine out from when it was on the island for you at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 10:50 PM, Swampy442 said:

5k may be a bargain, but dont be surprised you have to put twice that into it to get it to where you want it 🙂

What your saying is this will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. Overnight parts from Japan if you have to?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 6:52 PM, Swampy442 said:

Nobody said that. Or mentioned tuna or pizzas.....

 

Hi guys I have now purchased and recovered the car, gave it a good wash and had a look over, everything I have currently seen hasn’t phased me in the slightest as this isn’t my first Japanese car. Me and my partner have Had s14 kouki, civic ek4 vti, civic ek9 type r, integra dc2 jdm spec, Honda Accord and currently have 2 Mitsubishi evo 9 gt wagons in manual and a Mitsubishi evo 5 gsr that we race. 
 

I will attach some more photos but I am absolutely desperate for some standard jza80 door hinges upper and bottom for both drivers side and passenger so if anyone has any I’d love to purchase them

185C1CCC-3DE8-487C-9C52-8F11C336B732.jpeg

10984B76-8BD4-4E73-928B-44620F905595.jpeg

F547A84D-AAC1-4417-B826-728F0302C27E.jpeg

8DB14B24-1809-4B7E-AFE7-14C8A97CF0BD.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations! 

How fast did you get rid of those wheels?? 😂

For the hinges I would go to Keron (extreme performance).

Maybe you can get some salvage ones for a good price.

After the wheel change and the wash I think it does not look too bad at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, nolizma said:

Congratulations! 

How fast did you get rid of those wheels?? 😂

For the hinges I would go to Keron (extreme performance).

Maybe you can get some salvage ones for a good price.

After the wheel change and the wash I think it does not look too bad at all.

The wheels came off instantly mate they were horrendous 😂

awesome I’ll look into getting some asap, I am currently fighting my way through trying to get to the bottom of a leak which is now making the carpets wet. (Was dry as a bone until I washed the car and got all the moss out of seals ect) and the car was always outside not under a cover.

 

looking forward to start the process of making it what I’d like it to be 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

Sweet purchase. Sounds like a steal. 

Cheers buddy, paid £1000 for the car in the end and have done a serious amount of work at the lady’s house to help her out and will continue to help/upkeep her house for her, she’s a lovely lady and wanted it to go to a good home and be appreciated, not sold to someone to resell for profit, it’s not going anywhere anytime soon now I’ve got my dream car and have some nice plans 👌🏽😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.