The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JayEmm did a review on my Supra!

Eightdip

15 hours ago, Noz said:

Awesome review.

I think we should sponsor you to stroker the engine one day. Stay away from boost. So friggin cool

That would just be the cherry on the cake for me on this build.

Ha that would be hella cool to be fair. Though I think my dream would be to manage to get 100hp per litre, stroker kit could make that more difficult! 

1 hour ago, Eightdip said:

Ha that would be hella cool to be fair. Though I think my dream would be to manage to get 100hp per litre, stroker kit could make that more difficult! 

Surely would make it easier?

Are you assuming higher rpm will increase flow enough to get more power.

Awesome project! If you come to the point where you open up the engine I would consider the BC 3,4 lightweight crank. Especially when you're based in The UK or US or somewhere else in the world where modifying cars is not that restricted like where I live for example. Whereas your max rpm will be limited with the stroker crank the roughly 0,4L more in displacement offers many benefits for a NA project. That crank in combination with a proper head job including +1mm Valves etc. will make your ITBs sing.

Not many people have done a head job or at least tinkered with the head a bit on a naturally aspirated 2JZ so there's not much to read on the forums. I only know of Brendan in the US and myself *lol* and a couple of guys in Japan (including that one guy that still runs the black YSR demo car that was featured by Dino on Speedhunters more than a decade ago). It is a very interesting field but nothing for the faint hearted when it comes to expenses and power output in relation to money invested.

Keep up the great project and please stay away from forced induction 😄

• Like 1

Cheers Herb! Think the natural next major step would be to get some head work done, a port and polish and valves etc to compliment the cams, then I'd consider further down the line what to do to the bottom end. 

As I mentioned, I'd absolutely love to try and get 100hp per litre out of it if I can. No particular reason why, but it's just something fun to aim for. Just not sure where I'd find another 40hp from though! And if I did end up going the stroker route I'd have to get 340hp as it'd then be a 3.4ltr... 

55 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

You dont want to increase the stroke, you need to increase the revs. Revs = power

I kinda agree yet disagree.

While stroker adds more torque typically. I think camming the crap out of it might not be the way forward.

2 hours ago, Eightdip said:

Cheers Herb! Think the natural next major step would be to get some head work done, a port and polish and valves etc to compliment the cams, then I'd consider further down the line what to do to the bottom end. 

As I mentioned, I'd absolutely love to try and get 100hp per litre out of it if I can. No particular reason why, but it's just something fun to aim for. Just not sure where I'd find another 40hp from though! And if I did end up going the stroker route I'd have to get 340hp as it'd then be a 3.4ltr... 

Port and cams would help for sure. Seen varying opinions on valves. May be worth considering, being NA may make a difference.

A titan 3.5 kit added 50hp at 6-700hp with no other mods. I know its boosted. So not exactly relative.

I think having a 300+ NA would be awesome. Cams port and stroke may end up getting you somewhere you hadn't thought possible. But maybe hit the 300 first, easiest choice I guess.

Just love the possibility of stroking an NA engine. I'm bias on stroker for everything mate done listen to my waffle 😂

When I first looked into tuning NAs back in 2010, people were regrinding and all sorts. Even using GTE cams to try and grab power, before the possibility of dizzy gears being on the cams.

Wonder if a squirt of e85 would help?