The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One for the pc guru's

Dnk

You could try disabling the IPv6 protocol and only using the IPv4 to see if that makes a difference.

There are some particularly older PCs, games as well as some VPN's and waveband extenders that just don't do well on IPv6. Also, having the IP addresses addresses assigned by the PC using DHCP has lots of forum threads with people intermittently losing connection using IPv6. You could find moving to fixed IP address would solve the problem but that isn't easy tech to set up. So, I'd start by just disabling the IPv6 by unclicking the protocol in the list arrived at from right click - properties on the wifi connection.

On my home networks I do IPv4 only over the two wifi networks that I have because it is stable. 

26 minutes ago, rider said:

You could try disabling the IPv6 protocol and only using the IPv4 to see if that makes a difference.

There are some particularly older PCs, games as well as some VPN's and waveband extenders that just don't do well on IPv6. Also, having the IP addresses addresses assigned by the PC using DHCP has lots of forum threads with people intermittently losing connection using IPv6. You could find moving to fixed IP address would solve the problem but that isn't easy tech to set up. So, I'd start by just disabling the IPv6 by unclicking the protocol in the list arrived at from right click - properties on the wifi connection.

On my home networks I do IPv4 only over the two wifi networks that I have because it is stable. 

Did that and no change 

Depending on the size of your house and the type of walls will determine what type of router or WiFi network you'll need. I've found on an average size 2 story house replacing the bt router with a really good TP link router for about £80-120 will cover the whole house nicely and give you extra features. Means just running one router, one signal and one power socket.

• Like 1

I've searched the PING general failure and google suggests possible driver update required, i've just done this and mine is up to date

It also suggests a fault in the NIC Generally, that error indicates an issue on the NIC or it being disabled

11 hours ago, pf85 said:

Depending on the size of your house and the type of walls will determine what type of router or WiFi network you'll need. I've found on an average size 2 story house replacing the bt router with a really good TP link router for about £80-120 will cover the whole house nicely and give you extra features. Means just running one router, one signal and one power socket.

3 bed detached with mostly studded walls.

I'll wait till the BT router arrives and see if that solves the problem before upgrading it 

TP Link site suggests this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DVGFRXW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tplinkwifi-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B08DVGFRXW&linkId=2ba8acb63e2f5c32e3353af3f5206076&th=1

38 minutes ago, Dnk said:

I'm going to replace the ethernet cable as god knows how old that is 

Any suggestions ? 

Amazon Basics RJ45 CAT6 Ethernet LAN Patch Cable (3 m / 10 Feet) [1,000 Mbps (1 Gbps)] is £11 

If its happening on wifi and cable the cable isnt at fault.

Thought i'd try this. 

I have disabled the Ethernet and the wifi but enabled the local area connection.

The connection speed isn't very fast at under 10mbps but it hasn't lost the connection since doing this over 15 minutes ago.

The PING test has no timed out or general failure messages 

pc screen shot 9.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

What device even is that? your phone? if you arent using Ethernet or wifi, what else is plugged in? your phone or other device? If your using your phones 4G it will be  seperate from your home network.

I have my iphone plugged into the pc using a usb port on the front to charge the phone and send photos to my pc. It's been like that for years no problems.

I've just unplugged the iphone and enabled the Ethernet. The connection is back to dropping out with same general failure and timed out messages on the ping test 

Yes it was the phone which I didn't know till just now so that's back to being disabled 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Ok well if the ping etc worked fine using the 4G on your iPhone (which you were) then that proves it's a issue with your router/internet or connection to it

Agreed, we'll see if the new router fixes the problem on Tuesday 

15 minutes ago, Annabella said:

Dnk, don't buy anything else, you've proved it's the BT connection. See what happens after the new router is in, and as I said before, the whole home mesh system would be best for your size of house, for complete coverage. Good luck Tuesday. 

I shan't buy anything till I've plugged the new router in and see what happens

Thanks everyone for all the help it's been invaluable 

I've learnt a bit more and taken notes for the future 🤪

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:42 PM, Thorin said:

Create a broadband quality monitor at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

It periodically probes your router and can report on the latency and dropped packets. It can be useful to flag up if there might be issues with your broadband connection itself rather than your wireless/devices.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

Just swapped the HUB for the new one and its still the same.

47 minutes ago, Dnk said:

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

Just swapped the HUB for the new one and its still the same.

Instead of pinging 8.8.8.8 ping the router. 192.168.1.254 is apparently the default for BT, though I've not been on a bt hub in a long time so not certain. This will test the connection between your laptop and the router and nothing else. If the failure continues you will know it's a local issue. Check with both ethernet and wifi as before and report back

23 minutes ago, chaoticentity said:

Instead of pinging 8.8.8.8 ping the router. 192.168.1.254 is apparently the default for BT, though I've not been on a bt hub in a long time so not certain. This will test the connection between your laptop and the router and nothing else. If the failure continues you will know it's a local issue. Check with both ethernet and wifi as before and report back

Still the same on both. 

Popped into a local pc shop, very nice helpful chap who looked at it straight away.

Plugged my tower in and ran some checks, he thought the wifi card had died so fitted a new one and gave the inside

a good clean and said try that.

Sorted and no problems 

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated 

• Like 1