The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One for the pc guru's

Dnk

I have windows 8.1.

I have 50mbps to my BT Hub, my pc keeps flashing up I'm offline then seconds later restored 

The connection to my hub is stable and not dropped out according to the BT admin router network 

I've tried plugging back into the router with ethernet cable and makes no difference apart from its faster 

Any ideas guys 

Download the freeware version of Advanced Systemcare and scan your PC. The fixes include optimising the internet settings to fix issues and conflicts. I'd recommend uninstalling afterwards as it has some power hungry monitors that will eat into your PC memory unless you are savvy enough to disable the process start ups through your task manager.

• Like 1

although it's saying you're offline, are you actually? 

Set a ping going to 8.8.8.8 -t which will constantly send untill stopped. If it keeps going you're not actually going offline.

Could be a DNS problem if the DNS server you're reaching is poor. Perhaps change this to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ric said:

although it's saying you're offline, are you actually? 

Set a ping going to 8.8.8.8 -t which will constantly send untill stopped. If it keeps going you're not actually going offline.

Could be a DNS problem if the DNS server you're reaching is poor. Perhaps change this to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Good question, i'll have to google doing the ping lol

is that during an event where your pc said you were offline? 

Are you using the supplied BT wifi hub, they are usually very rubbish when it comes to wifi. I would suggest getting a better performing wifi router. But it could also be the wifi card in the laptop. Are other devices having this issue? it will be really difficult to diagnose without being there etc.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

is that during an event where your pc said you were offline? 

Are you using the supplied BT wifi hub, they are usually very rubbish when it comes to wifi. I would suggest getting a better performing wifi router. But it could also be the wifi card in the laptop. Are other devices having this issue? it will be really difficult to diagnose without being there etc.

The events are so fast, the messages of being offline then restored appear in bottom left of my pc

I also get connection to XBOX was lost in the top right corner of the screen and the game freezes, this happens a lot now.

WhatsApp on my pc also flags up the Red exclamation mark frequently 

Youtube videos seem not to be affected 

Yes I'm using a fairly new HUB 2 with a HP pc 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

18 hours ago, rider said:

Download the freeware version of Advanced Systemcare and scan your PC. The fixes include optimising the internet settings to fix issues and conflicts. I'd recommend uninstalling afterwards as it has some power hungry monitors that will eat into your PC memory unless you are savvy enough to disable the process start ups through your task manager.

I ran that and as much as it found lots of stuff my pc its the same but thanks, just deleted it 

Do you use a VPN or something else which may be trying to control your network connection? Also have you a good uptodate antivirus such as Norton Security?

When you tried connecting with a LAN cable, did you disable the WiFi connection? It's very odd that the LAN cabled connection would be dropping in the same way. 

To better troubleshoot I'd recommend the following:

1. Restart the Router 
2. Restart the Computer

3. Open control panel and network > adaptors > right click and disable the wireless WiFi network adaptor
4. Open the settings for your LAN adaptor and check the ipv4 settings - make sure its set to DHCP for everything, proxy is disabled and LAN settings is set to Automatically detect settings
5. Plug in the LAN cable to the router directly

Run the ping test again.

If its still dropping then you could try resetting all network settings and try ping again. 
If its still dropping at this point then you should try see if there is a newer driver available to download for your LAN and WiFi devices (I doubt if this will make much difference but its good practice)

Also is your Windows correctly activated? Id strongly recommend updating to Windows 10 - this alone might even solve your problem.

If you like I could remotely connect into your computer and have a look? I use TeamViewer which is a free piece of software for remotely connecting to other computers - but this is your call as I'd obviously be able to control your computer during this session although you would be watching everything I do on screen. 

Edited by pf85 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Used to have AVG but now my pc only has Windows defender and firewall 

Re started router

Re started pc 

Disabled the wifi 

The next bit has me lost, i think i opened the LAN adaptor but just got this, i attached a screen shot 

The Lan cable is plugged into the router 

pc screen shot 6.jpg

23 minutes ago, Annabella said:

As above, disable the WiFi on the PC when you try wired. If the same then it's your router or external broadband connection. As above again if same after wired test then swap the router. If the same it's outside, the problem, log everything you're doing and pass to BT. 

Had BT here and router appears to be fine and the broadband to the house hasn't dropped out according to the engineer who checked on the Smart HUB 2 manager which I've just done. Thought the problem must be from the HUB so plugged in using ethernet cable but didn't disable the wifi and was still the same 

14 minutes ago, Dnk said:

Used to have AVG but now my pc only has Windows defender and firewall 

Re started router

Re started pc 

Disabled the wifi 

The next bit has me lost, i think i opened the LAN adaptor but just got this, i attached a screen shot 

The Lan cable is plugged into the router 

pc screen shot 6.jpg

The details for the ethernet conn above are correct, can't see if the wifi adapter behind is disabled or not?

3 minutes ago, Annabella said:

The details for the ethernet conn above are correct, can't see if the wifi adapter behind is disabled or not?

yes its disabled, i just did it 

the BT engineer disabled the local area connection yesterday, when it was on it had limited and he thought that could be the problem but nothings changed since he left 

pc screen shot 7.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dnk said:

yes its disabled, i just did it 

the BT engineer disabled the local area connection yesterday, when it was on it had limited and he thought that could be the problem but nothings changed since he left 

pc screen shot 7.jpg

Now it's disabled and on ethernet run the ping test again. Record it, and if the same it's router or outside, can't be anything else, if you're having the same problems on multiple devices and on on Wifi and Wired.

• Like 1