The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Leaking Shock Absorber - Options?

J-Meiser

Hi everyone,

As you can see from the title, one of my shock absorbers has started leaking 😞 and I'm basically looking for input on what to do next.

I have already reached out to Keron and I am awaiting a response as to whether he has any in stock. In case he is unable to help out this time around, what would you all recommend? I am currently considering the following:

1. Getting all of my shock absorbers examined and repaired/refurbished so that I can avoid any more surprises. Then fit lowering springs. A friend of mine at work recommended this company: https://www.corneringforce.com/ - has anyone ever used them or heard of them before?

2. Replace existing shock absorbers and springs with coilovers. Any recommendations?

I have never found the stock setup uncomfortable, as I used my Supra as my daily before the pandemic kicked in, so I do not want to compromise the comfort but lowering my Supra was on my "To-Do" list anyway; I recently bought Big Supe's Tein Springs to do just that. My Supra has KYB shock absorbers on all corners; I honestly do not know whether they are factory fit or not, but they have been on my Supra ever since I bought it.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased new Bilstein set from Toyota as part of my suspension renewal. So you could start off by asking Toyota.

You would likely find the cheapest option is to buy a set oil coilovers and sell the OEM springs you have to offset the cost as they are discontinued and therefore have some value.

• Like 1

I would recommend getting a set of Bilstein B6's (I'm not sure how much they differ from the OE Bilstein's Rider mentioned) to pair with your lowering springs. I have a set with Eibach lowering springs and they're great. I'm not sure who sells them the cheapest (my set was used) but I think they'll set you back around £130 a shock.

I'd recommend getting a new set of dust boots at the same time too (top mounts probably aren't necessary as the dust boot is the rubber isolator for the top mounts).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, m12aak said:

I would recommend getting a set of Bilstein B6's (I'm not sure how much they differ from the OE Bilstein's Rider mentioned) to pair with your lowering springs. I have a set with Eibach lowering springs and they're great. I'm not sure who sells them the cheapest (my set was used) but I think they'll set you back around £130 a shock.

I'd recommend getting a new set of dust boots at the same time too (top mounts probably aren't necessary as the dust boot is the rubber isolator for the top mounts).

This ☝️☝️ 

👍

• Like 2

Thank you all very much for your input!

It has actually made me think hard about a part of my post - I used to drive my Supra as my daily, but that was when I was travelling to work 5 days a week. That is not the case any more and to be honest, that could become even less frequent, so could firm things up, just a little bit.

I will check out prices for the Bilsteins and weigh them up against the KYBs and stocks, then go from there. What are the Bilsteins like compared to stock?

I have ordered some new dust boots/insulators for the front 👍🏾. I already have new a new set on the rear as I supplied them when I had the springs replaced, so I will transfer them over to the new setup, whatever I go with. They are yet to cover 50 miles, so they are still virtually brand new!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-Meiser said:

Thank you all very much for your input!

It has actually made me think hard about a part of my post - I used to drive my Supra as my daily, but that was when I was travelling to work 5 days a week. That is not the case any more and to be honest, that could become even less frequent, so could firm things up, just a little bit.

I will check out prices for the Bilsteins and weigh them up against the KYBs and stocks, then go from there. What are the Bilsteins like compared to stock?

I have ordered some new dust boots/insulators for the front 👍🏾. I already have new a new set on the rear as I supplied them when I had the springs replaced, so I will transfer them over to the new setup, whatever I go with. They are yet to cover 50 miles, so they are still virtually brand new!

The Bilsteins are definitely stiffer than the OE KYB's etc., but likely some of variance in stiffness also comes from replacing 20+y/o tired shocks with new ones.

I use the Bilstein equipped car 'daily' (still WFH most days now 😑), and although stiffer, I have never felt that they're too stiff.

Even if you aren't a fan of them once installed, I'm sure they'll sell quickly if you wanted to revert back to stock (I may even be interested in a nearly new set!)

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 4:50 PM, m12aak said:

The Bilsteins are definitely stiffer than the OE KYB's etc., but likely some of variance in stiffness also comes from replacing 20+y/o tired shocks with new ones.

I use the Bilstein equipped car 'daily' (still WFH most days now 😑), and although stiffer, I have never felt that they're too stiff.

Even if you aren't a fan of them once installed, I'm sure they'll sell quickly if you wanted to revert back to stock (I may even be interested in a nearly new set!)

Sounds fair, thank you for all of the info!

I am currently evaluating my options and seeing what is available, so we will see what happens.

A recommendation was made to me to contact @Chris Wilson about his suspension setup, but it would appear that he is unable to receive messages, so if you see this Chris and are able to get in touch, I would be very grateful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Meiser said:

Sounds fair, thank you for all of the info!

I am currently evaluating my options and seeing what is available, so we will see what happens.

A recommendation was made to me to contact @Chris Wilson about his suspension setup, but it would appear that he is unable to receive messages, so if you see this Chris and are able to get in touch, I would be very grateful!

You need to email him or ring him, his email is in his sig

• Like 1

There is a serious delay in getting new Bilsteins at the moment, I have several sets on order from months ago. I may have good used ones and some good used stock none Bilsteins, ring me on 07971-952084 if possible, or e-mail me please at  [email protected]   And thanks Annabella

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)