The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air con Compressor

squiffy

I really wouldn't recommend fitting a 25 year old replacement out of choice. The swash plate style of compressor is highly loaded with ball sockets on the piston rods that could have seen a lot of duty over 25 years. The OE Denso compressors are still available and last time I looked were around the US$250 mark which means you could land a new one from a US supplier for probably for around £300 if the more local Toyota UK or TCB couldn't get near to that kind of price.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, I've picked up one from RockAuto along with an A/C drier.  I also managed to get a Denso condenser from eBay (new).  I took a bit of cross referencing Toyota part numbers to Denso part numbers but I got there in the end.

Sure, it was £244.32 inc postage.  I'm sure that import taxes will hike that up a fair bit though.

I'm starting to think I should have bought an evaporator as well while I think of it.  I don't really know all the components of an A/C system so I just bought what I thought it needed.  

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 10.10.28.png

I just bought a new evaporator core as well......I should have bought it at the same time as the other bits.  Knowing my luck, I'll have the compressor, drier and condenser replaced then the evaporator will go south.

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 10.18.32.png

Oh dear. I may have made a mistake in that case.

I think others here have bought these and they’ve fitted, or maybe I misread.  

I checked with Toyota UK for the part numbers and then did the same with a US dealer to see if the part numbers were the same.  They did appear to be identical which, given that part numbers are unique, gave me the impression that the compressor was the same for UK and US cars.  I then checked that the Denso units claimed figment with the original Toyota part number.  All seemed to check out.

Toyota Part - 88320-14600 (Both US and UK).  Both were replaced for same number with -84 at the end to denote ‘remanufactured’ (so Jim at Bridgend Toyota explained).

I guess I shall have to see what arrives and if they can be fitted.  If not, I’ll have a bit of a bumper sale on eBay I suspect.

I cannot see why there would be a difference RHD to LHD seeing the engine ancillary configuration is the same. The US and Jspec part numbers are 88320-14600. There might be a change between pre and post facelift with the port configuration but I've always been lazy and just looked at 1993-1996 parts as that is the car I own. So if you have a 93-96 I'd guess you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, rider said:

I cannot see why there would be a difference RHD to LHD seeing the engine ancillary configuration is the same. The US and Jspec part numbers are 88320-14600. There might be a change between pre and post facelift with the port configuration but I've always been lazy and just looked at 1993-1996 parts as that is the car I own. So if you have a 93-96 I'd guess you'll be fine.

all rhd compressors are the same from regardless of year..... lhd are different. ive had 8 lhd supras (still got one) and 100% different. 

all the the pipework is all different on the lhd too. if you look where the 2 pipes connect to them, totally different. plugs in the wrong location etc....

possibly could be adapted though maybe.... im going to be looking into them soon..... just got a few other things im re-making for now....

I've just had a look and Keron's right but I think it's just the top plate that's different between LHD and RHD. In this US forum post, someone talks about how a (LHD) Denso 471-1205 fit their JDM Supra perfectly, but all they needed to do was swap over the RHD top plate, so I think you'll be fine as long as you still have your old plate. 

2 minutes ago, m12aak said:

I've just had a look and Keron's right but I think it's just the top plate that's different between LHD and RHD. In this US forum post, someone talks about how a (LHD) Denso 471-1205 fit their JDM Supra perfectly, but all they needed to do was swap over the RHD top plate, so I think you'll be fine as long as you still have your old plate. 

yeh thats what i was thinking.... well see when the chaps above arrives.... hopefully an easy mod...

• Like 1

Hi chaps,

Hmmmm, I guess we'll see what happens when mine arrives.  I did ping a message to one of our members who ordered one last year and he says that his was a 100% fit.  

I'll let my chap know that he may need to swap the top plate out.  I hope it is an easy mod.

1 hour ago, rider said:

Indeed, mine is a 93, so I'm hoping it might be a straight swap.  If not, hopefully just a swap of the top plate will be necessary.

If it's all wrong, I may need to buy one from Keron :-).

Paul

Just now, keron said:

ive ran out lol..... thats why im going to look into the new ones soon.... ive always had used ones but last week i used my last 'spare' one.... so need to look into new ones to keep in now...

Hehe, just my luck 🤣.  

Well, I'll keep you posted with what arrives and what kind of swap it is.  A straight swap, a change of top plate or no swap at all.

I have a reconditioned one arriving at my local Toyota dealer in 1 week (my dealer is sound, he'll order just so I can have a look at the part and then return it if I don't want it).  However, judging from pics in the link to the US forum way up in the post, it may end up being exactly the same as the one I just bought from Rock Auto.  My dealer said there were a few available, but only in Europe, which may mean it's for a RHD car and even then may need a top-plate swap.  😕

Confused?  I certainly am......

On 7/3/2021 at 3:38 PM, keron said:

ive ran out lol..... thats why im going to look into the new ones soon.... ive always had used ones but last week i used my last 'spare' one.... so need to look into new ones to keep in now...

Hi Keron,

You might want to get in the ones from Rock Auto.  Mine arrived last night after ordering on Saturday.  The plate on the compressor is a 'travelling plate', intended to keep oil in the unit.  The instructions state to take the plate from the old, put onto the new and fit.  It does seem the same compressor.  It also comes with new gaskets / seals to put the old plate onto the new compressor.

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.56.43.png

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.54.21.png

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.