The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler for BPU TT

JamesyThompson

Hi folks,

The OEM SMIC has seen better days on my MKIV, and I was going to replace it with another SMIC as the car is only BPU and I preferred to keep it OEM looking (although I'm warming to the idea of and FMIC).

Contacted Whifbits about their SMIC and they are unsure when they'll be getting any more in due to covid delays, I've also heard @Chris Wilsondoes an SMIC - going on the Google hits! 

Would running an FMIC on stock turbos increase lag if I can't source an SMIC? I'm guessing an FMIC in decent condition will be better than my rotten SMIC though 😆

Supra.jpg

Edited by JamesyThompson
typo (see edit history)

Doubt you'd notice a 3" core really. Sure that would be fine for BPU.

I had a cheap ebay job with no issues in my single turbo at 417hp.

Trick is keeping cooler as small as possible but satisfying the hp target and not over sizing the pipework.

Don't whifbitz also sell front mount kits?

18 minutes ago, Noz said:

Doubt you'd notice a 3" core really. Sure that would be fine for BPU.

I had a cheap ebay job with no issues in my single turbo at 417hp.

Trick is keeping cooler as small as possible but satisfying the hp target and not over sizing the pipework.

Don't whifbitz also sell front mount kits?

Whifbitz do have a reasonably priced kit with a 4" core which they also supply as part of one of their BPU kits, so presumably it's BPU friendly - I'm leaning towards this at the minute as I believe they've stock 

14 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

It has similar internal volume to a stock side mount, but better flow, so if anything lag will decrease, and most definitely not INCREASE. These are made to order, with about an eight week lead time. Thanks.

intercooler.zip 2.64 MB · 0 downloads

That's a work of art Chris. Noticed they have been going for around £500 used on here, so a new one will likely be more than I'd budgeted for.

For the matter of waiting 8 weeks you may as well go for a SMIC rather than go to the effort of fitting a frontal unit. My very original intercooler fins were all corroded to powder after 15 years and I really did notice quite a difference in pickup with the replacement intercooler. How much of that improvement was down to better air flow and how much was down to not cooling through aluminium oxide fins I wouldn't know. 

It was one of those purchases you can class as a good investment with the added bonus that it is a straight swap.

19 hours ago, JamesyThompson said:

That's a work of art Chris. Noticed they have been going for around £500 used on here, so a new one will likely be more than I'd budgeted for.

Personally I'd avoid an FMIC if I was you for BPU. I would definitely go for the Chris Wilson SMIC. I've just sold my old Chris Wilson SMIC, but I do know of a near perfect condition OEM SMIC for sale if that's more within a tight budget. 

Edit: Just checked and he wants £200 posted, which I think is too cheap and a bargain!

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

19 hours ago, JamesyThompson said:

It might be worthwhile doing a relative comparison when deciding what to do, a new intercooler from Toyota is around £1,400.