The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OEM JZA80 Hood Scoop Parts - New, Used, Reproduction?

shifted

Hi guys, 

Given the community is so much larger here than Aus, I thought to see if anyone out there is already producing replica parts of the hood scoop and all its components? 

I want to acquire the full set-up, and know that the aluminium plate/retainer was first discontinued before a lot of the rest so it's a missing piece for many. Have followed up with people in AUS who do have the plate but they keep ignoring my messages. 

Anyone out there making these components or looking at doing it? 

Cheers!

Paul

12 hours ago, shifted said:

Happen to have a link to the Russian chap? 

Everyone seems to be missing the plate/duct, I'm missing it myself. 

Thanks!

suprarussia on Instagram, dont want to be posting up peoples facebooks on public forums

5 hours ago, Burna said:

Why do you need the duct when you don't have the snorkel? What is the goal you're trying to achieve?

Why not? The snorkel is to cool cyl 6 as older supras overheated. But without the snorkel the scoop will still draw warm air out the bay to a degree

4 minutes ago, evinX said:

Why not? The snorkel is to cool cyl 6 as older supras overheated. But without the snorkel the scoop will still draw warm air out the bay to a degree

That's not quite the reason why it's there mate, yes it was to aid cooling of cylinder 5&6 on UK and Euro cars as they were more likely to see extended high speed runs, and cooling is limited to the rear of the engine. It was more of a preventative belts and braces thing, not because older Supra's were overheating?!? lol

A hood scoop is not going to draw warm air out of the bonnet, it will add some cooler air coming in, but its not really going to benefit much I don't think, so no need at all for the shaped duct underneath.

I'm considering removing mine and re-designing it so I can fit a TRD strutbrace, then 3D print a new duct.

Just now, Burna said:

That's not quite the reason why it's there mate, yes it was to aid cooling of cylinder 5&6 on UK and Euro cars as they were more likely to see extended high speed runs, and cooling is limited to the rear of the engine. It was more of a preventative belts and braces thing, not because older Supra's were overheating?!? lol

A hood scoop is not going to draw warm air out of the bonnet, it will add some cooler air coming in, but its not really going to benefit much I don't think, so no need at all for the shaped duct underneath.

I'm considering removing mine and re-designing it so I can fit a TRD strutbrace, then 3D print a new duct.

7ms used to overheat on cyl 6. Thats why the mk4s got hoods scoops. Heard this alot over the 16 years ive been on the Supra scene. Never heard a belts and brace thing till today.

I want ti get my hands on a fibreglass duct so i can chop it up and make it fit with my trd strut to. Not interested in the snorkel becuase they all seem rusty after years of water getting in.

And lets say when the car comes to a stop and is idle, warm air will be drawn out of the bay via the scoop if temps outside a lower than in the bay.

2 minutes ago, evinX said:

7ms used to overheat on cyl 6. Thats why the mk4s got hoods scoops. Heard this alot over the 16 years ive been on the Supra scene. Never heard a belts and brace thing till today.

I want ti get my hands on a fibreglass duct so i can chop it up and make it fit with my trd strut to. Not interested in the snorkel becuase they all seem rusty after years of water getting in.

And lets say when the car comes to a stop and is idle, warm air will be drawn out of the bay via the scoop if temps outside a lower than in the bay.

Yes the old mkiii's use to overheat, but this is a different engine. How many mkiv's have you ever heard of overheating? I've not seen one and I've been on the Supra scene 17 years, so about the same time as you if that matters to you lol I've seen j-specs many many times with no bonnet scoop go flat out across Europe for days in summer weather without overheating lol

You can't fit a snorkel to your j-spec, it's part of the UK manifold. It's not the snorkel that lets water in, it's the scoop and duct itself that will let water in on yours, as I've seen and experienced it on my cam covers, so had them powder coated a couple of years ago.

I really don't think that it's going to help draw an significant hot air out, they are really just for looks without the snorkel.

1 minute ago, Burna said:

Yes the old mkiii's use to overheat, but this is a different engine. How many mkiv's have you ever heard of overheating? I've not seen one and I've been on the Supra scene 17 years, so about the same time as you if that matters to you lol I've seen j-specs many many times with no bonnet scoop go flat out across Europe for days in summer weather without overheating lol

You can't fit a snorkel to your j-spec, it's part of the UK manifold. It's not the snorkel that lets water in, it's the scoop and duct itself that will let water in on yours, as I've seen and experienced it on my cam covers, so had them powder coated a couple of years ago.

I really don't think that it's going to help draw an significant hot air out, they are really just for looks without the snorkel.

To be fair mines a daily and my engine has polished/powdercoated/billet/carbon/painted parts and its been fine. The water ingress has been minimal.

I know its the not the snorkel that lets water in, thats obvious. But they rust becuase thats where the water ends up. Im pretty sure i can fab something to make it fit but not fussed.

4 hours ago, Burna said:

TRD strut brace fits a hooded supra (Allegedly, at least garage whifbitz say so on their website)

12 minutes ago, chaoticentity said:

TRD strut brace fits a hooded supra (Allegedly, at least garage whifbitz say so on their website)

No it doesn’t, I’ve tried, not without trimming the duct, and I’m not going to do that as it’s worth so much :) 

Cheers for the link! Sent him a message on instagram.

Didn't realise it doesn't fit with the TRD strut brace. 

I am interested in the missing pieces for the sake of completeness, but seems like most people are missing both metal plates. 

https://mkiv.com/techarticles/european_hood_scoop_install/index.html

76181-14900 Bulge, Hood

76182-14010 Guide, Hood Air Intake

76183-14010 Protector Hood Bulge, No. 1

76184-14010 Protector Hood Bulge, No. 2

76187-14010 Retainer, Hood Air Intake Guide, No. 1 (2)

76192-14010 Plate, Hood Bulge

93567-14512 Screws (8)

90179-06058 Nuts (4)

76186-14010 Seal, Hood Air Intake

When I ordered a new set, years ago from the US, seems my invoice suggests I ordered what is shown in Blue. However, I don't recall ever receiving the plates and recall being told things were discontinued. These parts are somewhere in my house still new, need to find where I put them... 

I've picked up a second hand hood scoop yesterday, and it just has the bulge, the metal mesh insert and the retaining clips. Going to try find a spare bonnet. I'd be interested in the parts that make the installation of the scoop complete. 

There's a guy in Aus who does have the plate/duct, and I'm happy to try reach out to people I know from the facade space to see if there's a way to manufacture a replica though I imagine it would be unlikely, there's talks about making one in CF though would be interested in seeing how it fits with the strut brace in place. Unfortunately I have not ever found the missing pieces for sale myself to try and look into making them on my own, but if someone else is already doing it - happy to just buy their product. 

EDIT: Confirmed, I have the parts in Blue, so I'm missing the protectors and the seal. 

Hood & Front Fender for Supra JZA80 Part Numbers

[IMG]https://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/img_eur/A2/MBX590D.png[/IMG]

Edited by shifted (see edit history)

On 3/17/2021 at 8:12 PM, chaoticentity said:

Well glad someone else tried it before I did!

Just to confirm I went down and saw my car on Saturday and we tried a TRD strut brace again, as I was going to 3D print a custom duct. There's no chance a TRD strut brace will ever fit with the duct in place.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

I have to disagree, my car has a scoop and a TRD brace....

With the duct underneath? I cant see how, as the duct comes down right on top of the brace, so you can’t close the bonnet. Any photos of the duct on the underside of your bonnet please? I may have been modified to fit? 

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Burna said:

With the duct underneath? I can see how, as the duct comes down right on top of the brace, so you can’t close the bonnet. Any photos of the duct on the underside of your bonnet please? I may have been modified to fit? 

Ill get a pic this weekend 🙂

Can't figure out how to multi quote here but anyway.... 

@Silber Supra 97 does he 3d print the smaller internal plate that's like 15cm by 8cm or so? 

@Burna from everyone I've spoken to, seems with the TRD bar it has to be cut/bent/modified etc. 

Either way, would be interested in seeing if someone DOES have the original duct, if they could atleast provide some photographs/overall dimensions or even get it 3d scanned? Could then look into alternative options/adjusting to suit the TRD bar etc? 

6 hours ago, shifted said:

@Silber Supra 97 does he 3d print the smaller internal plate that's like 15cm by 8cm or so? 

@Burna from everyone I've spoken to, seems with the TRD bar it has to be cut/bent/modified etc. 

Either way, would be interested in seeing if someone DOES have the original duct, if they could atleast provide some photographs/overall dimensions or even get it 3d scanned? Could then look into alternative options/adjusting to suit the TRD bar etc? 

The diverter plate yes number 76182 in the attached picture, also 76187 4 each holders for the bulge/scoop itself

EU hood.png

6 hours ago, shifted said:

Yep I agree with you, all these years the duct has always had to be modified to fit the TRD strut brace, I'm not willing to cut mine 😕

I took a good look at my original duct, and have decided against modelling it and printing a replacement. It's a huge piece, which I could get done, but the limited market just wouldn't make it worth it to me for what I'd want to sell them for.