The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint dimples- never seen before?

swiftstu

Assuming your bonnet has been resprayed recently it looks like either solvent pop or fish eye, but hard to tell which from the photos. Solvent pop is usually because a layer of paint or clear didn't flash fully before the next one went on, whereas fish eye happens when there were contaminants in the paint, usually moisture. Either way, it needs re-doing as has been said I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Assuming your bonnet has been resprayed recently it looks like either solvent pop or fish eye, but hard to tell which from the photos. Solvent pop is usually because a layer of paint or clear didn't flash fully before the next one went on, whereas fish eye happens when there were contaminants in the paint, usually moisture. Either way, it needs re-doing as has been said I'm afraid. 

Thanks, I’ve owned the car for 2 years now, so not sure when it was resprayed- some thing else for the list🙂

The reason I ask is that you have what appear to be hairline cracks radiating from your washer nozzles?

My Google investigation would indicate microblisters caused by moisture in the paint when sprayed or in the gel coat of the fibreglass.

Everything I've read says it will need to be resprayed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Better explanation than mine 👍

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWZCHkk9n2c&ab_channel=ehowauto

I've only ever had this when the paint didn't much like the primer.

Might be worth your while sanding a few bubbles out to see if its just the lacquer that dried too fast or its solvent/water under the paint layer. If its just the top coat you could probably rescue it to look fine at 6 feet with a sand and lacquer blow over pending a proper strip and repaint at your convenience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evinX said:

To add, is that paint cracking around the washer nozzle?

Clear coat is cracked looking at it , chemical reactions from spray paint dose not take a few years to come out , and you won't be flatting that off and getting it nice , needs a new paint job.  

Look at the picture down the list https://www.autorepairsdirect.com.au/blog/car-paint-problems

Thanks all, 

yes there are cracks by the washer jets, it’s only appeared in the last 6 months.

I think it’s a respray whatever the cause from the advice above. It’s ver odd though that it’s so proficient across the whole bonnet. 

it’s primer underneath, but the base coat is what’s bubbling as it can just be picked off.  So annoying....

On 2/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, evinX said:

Its called Blistering, its mosture usually in 1k primer and base and usually not the clear as most places will use 2k clear. Happens over winter on cheap/ rushed paint jobs to be quite blunt.

What he said, car might've been dry stored in a heated garage and never been out in the cold til now. Happened a car of mine where i needed it painted quick before i went on a driving holiday in May, 6 months later in winter they all "popped out".

On 2/10/2021 at 10:40 AM, TuneR said:

What he said, car might've been dry stored in a heated garage and never been out in the cold til now. Happened a car of mine where i needed it painted quick before i went on a driving holiday in May, 6 months later in winter they all "popped out".

That’s exactly the case. Kept in a garage when I bought it, but I now have it in a driveway. Damn it....

20 hours ago, swiftstu said:

That’s exactly the case. Kept in a garage when I bought it, but I now have it in a driveway. Damn it....

Sickener mate, mine was on a white car so i just sanded it back and polished it a bit so wasn't as noticeable far away. On a black car it stands out more.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Celicasaur said:

...tippex test on the crank pulley....? 🤔 Sounds interesting...what does that do?

Draw a line in tippex as straight as you can across the face of the pulley, if the line stays as straight as you painted it after running the car then you know the pulley hasnt separated, the smaller face section of the pulley (where the belt goes round) can separate from the main plate.

Had my crank pulley go on the way home once and smash through the undertray, the smaller face had separated and flew off and made this awful squealing noise. Managed to get it home and changed it outside the house but it was a PITA to get the bolt off as the torque is insane.

You'd want to get the crank pulley changed before it completely separates as it can make a mess in the engine bay if it completely separates whilst driving, I was lucky that it only hit the undertray but it split it clean in half almost.

Edited by JordanC (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celicasaur said:

Ahhhhhhhh............

ok I didn't know this about this car. Makes sense now that in my cars service history, it shows the crank pulley as having been replaced.

Thanks Jordan. I might just put some tippex on it during the Spring as a precaution for the rest of the year ahead all the same 👍

Could be a good idea, the squealing is usually a giveaway that its knackered though but atleast the tippex will give you a sort of early warning if the lines go out before you hear any noises. Think mine had done nearly 100k miles and had never been changed looking at the paperwork when it decided to go, so if they got it changed for another new OEM pulley you should probably expect it to last a long long time.

I ended up with a FEBEST pulley for about 60 quid (was a bit strapped for cash at the time and needed it sorted urgent) compared to the 200 quid+ toyota ones and its been fine so far but only done about 15k miles in comparison, I would always go for the OEM one personally if i need to change it again in future.