The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS sensors for under £10 - prototype

rider

Already had a reply back from the companies Senior Product Manager.

"Thanks for the enquiry regarding wheel speed sensors for Toyota Supra mk4 models. As you noted there doesn’t appear to be a source in the aftermarket for these currently, but it is something we can look into having developed. Do you know the original Toyota part numbers you’re looking for? What is availability of samples like? They will be necessary if we need to develop from scratch."

I'll send him over the part numbers.

Does anyone have any old sensors to hand that could be given to the suppliers if need be? They would need to be intact including connector, clips, brackets etc.

There are a few members with sensors that I know of, I suppose the main thing to get assurances on is would they get them back intact as a new set would have cost £1,200 from Toyota so it'd be an ask for someone to give those up without any guarantees of them coming back in the same condition.

Any further updates on this? Might order the Yaris ones linked and see how different they actually are, if at all.

I think my sensors were damaged by garage doing underneath restoration when removing them from the hubs! To be fair I never warned them how expensive they are :(

Sorry to thread-Jack!!

Hey Brian,

Got your PM but I don’t have a high enough post count to reply yet

I’ll PM you in a few days.

Greg

Any further updates on this? Might order the Yaris ones linked and see how different they actually are, if at all.

I think my sensors were damaged by garage doing underneath restoration when removing them from the hubs! To be fair I never warned them how expensive they are :(

I've measured up the rears and the holy grail is a sensor that is 15mm diameter and 15mm deep. The securing arm that the bolt fits to isn't an essential as ways can always be devised to get something to stay in place. The length is 1100mm from sensor to loom clip. The resistance is 1.1k ohm (spec 0.7-1.7). It doesn't seem to matter if the sensor exposed metal is a double bar or single button they reflect both the pre facelift and facelift designs and both are considered interchangable.

Good luck with getting sellers to actually measure up a sensor though. I've asked a few to do that and none have been forthcoming beyond offering up useless advice of surely you can get that information from the part number - which you cannot.

The closest rears visually I have seen appear to be the mid-90's MR2 ones. these retail from £40 to £300. I cannot be bothered throwing £40 away on something that I don't need to but for anyone in need then it could be worth buying one in for a look at.

Sorry to thread-Jack!!

Hey Brian,

Got your PM but I don’t have a high enough post count to reply yet

I’ll PM you in a few days.

Greg

Cheers Greg no problem, enjoy your Supra ownership :)

The closest rears visually I have seen appear to be the mid-90's MR2 ones. these retail from £40 to £300. I cannot be bothered throwing £40 away on something that I don't need to but for anyone in need then it could be worth buying one in for a look at.

Cheers for all that info Rider, typical I just sold a mid 90s MR2 about 3 months ago that I could of taken a sensor off to check :banghead:

Whats the frequency rate. Might be cheaper to build an electronic signal converter. Surely its just a pulse.

If someone could tell me the desired signal and the sensor output. As long as we can keep up with the fresh rate. I could wire something and that would just be a secondary requirement with the sensor.

To standardise the signal.

Whats the frequency rate. Might be cheaper to build an electronic signal converter. Surely its just a pulse.

If someone could tell me the desired signal and the sensor output. As long as we can keep up with the fresh rate. I could wire something and that would just be a secondary requirement with the sensor.

To standardise the signal.

Probably only Chris Wilson will know this, I'm sure he has mentioned in the past its a square wave pulse signal so he might have some info on amplitude etc.

Square wave just means binary, a digital wave mate. On or off. It'll just be a voltage. 5v or 12v.

Most cars use 12v signals. But if its direct into the ecu id expect it to use low voltage signals, which will make it 5v. But. I don't know.

The only other variation might be high or low resistance. That could be easily resolved.

Hmm,

I think this might require a trip down my local breakers yard! Going to be a real pita trying to remove old abs sensors to test and measure.

On another note, Brantz do aftermarket sensors and pulse reducers/doublers, not sure if their sensors/systems would work alongside the oem toyota ecu with a lot of fiddling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have recently extracted my rear speed sensors intact and so have information that may be of use to some people.

I bought a set of the Yaris sensors from ebay (£40), in case I knackered mine trying to get them out, and can therefore say that the Yaris ones can be made to work mechanically. However they are not a direct fit and will require some thought in how they are mounted and how the cable is routed away. And the cable will need extending.

They are also different to mine (1993 TT Jap import) electrically. In particular it seems the magnetic bias on the core is reversed which will reverse the signal polarity. This may be a problem, dependant on how cleaver the ABS unit is, and may require the wires to be reversed to compensate. Also the coil resistance is a lot higher, 1K5 rather than 900R.

When I rebuild the subframe I intend to fit my originals but will also experiment with the Yaris ones to see if they can be made to work with the ABS unit.

If people are interested I can write up what I have found so far, in more detail, and give updates as I progress.

Considering majority of owners run an aftermarket ECU and the OE ECU is starting to fail with age

Not consider running Digital Hall Effect Sensor, CP Racing was making a CNC Supra MK4 Wheel Speed Bracket for Digital Hall Effect Sensor

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 19.48.16.png

These CNC brackets are meant to house a Digital Hall sensor to give a cleaner “square” wave digital signal to your ECU. The OEM ABS sensors on the MKIV are a magnetic sensor which tend to drop out and give incorrect wheel speed information to your ECU. These changes can cause a misread in traction control, gear position, rpm limit, and boost control depending on your tune. With a Digital Hall sensor you will always have a crisp clean reading even at the lowest speed to give your ECU the most accurate information at all times. No more ground or drive speed drop outs!

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 7:35 PM, rider said:

Until Denso start making them again any information on suitable alternatives will always be welcomed.

Same! Trying to diagnose my ABS issue... turns out it's missing the NS/R one! 

Ordered a new bolt from Toyota for £1.50, but no stock of ABS sensors. F**K