The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS sensors for under £10 - prototype

rider

Everyone knows ABS sensors, particularly those for the rears have been hard to track down for a few years now and bloody expensive to at almost £300 a sensor. This always surprised me as you see aftermarket sensors for typically £25 each and even those claiming to be genuine for standard models from the likes of Bosch run in at around £60 each. So ABS sensors have clearly been subjected to a very high Supra tax. Anyway, I've bought in a low cost sensor from a Chinese source made for a similar era car to the Supra that looks like the sensor head and connector are probably right for the Supra hub and the in car loom clip. the only thing is its too short to fit the run length of the Supra.

What I'm after is anyone with a failed rear ABS sensor that I can splice the sensor off this one I have onto to see if that delivers a functioning sensor. I'd be able to check the resistance but then it'd need someone to fit into a car, I could do that myself but it'd then need to wait until it needed doing and all my sensors are presently functioning just fine. Imagine if you can though, replacement sensors for under £10 if it works. I figured that has to be worth a punt and got to be worth a super red star status in Supra forum speak. So if anyone has a broken sensor they can donate, do pass it on to me and I'll get to splicing, soldering and shrink wrapping.

20200608_141220.jpg

Well done, this has been long overdue! Especially as it seems people are starting to change wheel bearings. I thought one of mine had gone as I had some very slight play. Turned out the drive shaft nut needed a little tweak... Problem solved. Like Wiley I was dreading doing the work due to possibly damaging the ABS sensor. I am sure someone like Littlenum may have an old wheel hub kicking around with a duff sensor...

Hi Rider,

mind sharing the source? I tried to get some from an aliexpress shop a while back. They seem similar, but they couldn't make them at the time, so I've bought some very expensive 2nd hand sensors. Still hurts till this day.

I will take a look if I can find my old sensors. If I find them you can have them for free if you pay shipping from the Netherlands.

Hi Rider,

mind sharing the source? I tried to get some from an aliexpress shop a while back. They seem similar, but they couldn't make them at the time, so I've bought some very expensive 2nd hand sensors. Still hurts till this day.

I will take a look if I can find my old sensors. If I find them you can have them for free if you pay shipping from the Netherlands.

Its just off an eBay trawl. Bought 2 in from two different sellers, only one has arrived nearly 2 months later. The other is still tracking in China. I was planning on getting a free broken sensor as once I splice and mend I'll test if and then if the resistance checks out I'll give it free to someone to trial as a replacement for a broken sensor on their car. That way, if everything works then anyone can go for their own £10 sensors so long as they can live with a 50% chance of it turning up and 6 to 8 weeks transit time. But for £10 its a punt worthy of a punt.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a bust rear ABS sensor you can have Barry. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

PM about to come over.

I checked the resistance of the ABS unit this morning and it is within the new Denso sensor spec, just. it's at the top end at a steady 1.599 kΩ (Supra spec 0.7 - 1.7 kΩ). But, its a failed project. No red star today. I have a spare hub sitting around and the sensor is too large for the bore. It is only just but size matters. The search, unfortunately, continues.

I checked the resistance of the ABS unit this morning and it is within the new Denso sensor spec, just. it's at the top end at a steady 1.599 kΩ (Supra spec 0.7 - 1.7 kΩ). But, its a failed project. No red star today. I have a spare hub sitting around and the sensor is too large for the bore. It is only just but size matters. The search, unfortunately, continues.
That's a shame. I don't suppose you have the manufacturer details? How far out are the diameters?

I don't have a manufacturer details.

There are quite a few producers listed on Alibaba for ABS speed sensors, available from US$3 each. It probably needs someone to head to China for a face to face to get a few hundred made but that isn't something that is likely to happen so something is going to have to be fashioned from parts that are available. This sensor is out on width by probably 4mm excess on the diameter. No idea on the how the sensor depth relates to the OE sensor as I have mislaid my reference, my spare rear sensors are hiding somewhere in my garage. If I was in a bind for a sensor and I knew the depth was good without access to a lathe I'd probably have a go on my fine stone wheel to polish off the excess plastic to see if sensor wall thickness exceeds 2mm in depth. I'd expect it would survive that as there is an O ring groove cut into the sensor wall.

You just have to weigh up at what point does an engineered solution becomes a cottage botch.

I don't have a manufacturer details.

There are quite a few producers listed on Alibaba for ABS speed sensors, available from US$3 each. It probably needs someone to head to China for a face to face to get a few hundred made but that isn't something that is likely to happen so something is going to have to be fashioned from parts that are available. This sensor is out on width by probably 4mm excess on the diameter. No idea on the how the sensor depth relates to the OE sensor as I have mislaid my reference, my spare rear sensors are hiding somewhere in my garage. If I was in a bind for a sensor and I knew the depth was good without access to a lathe I'd probably have a go on my fine stone wheel to polish off the excess plastic to see if sensor wall thickness exceeds 2mm in depth. I'd expect it would survive that as there is an O ring groove cut into the sensor wall.

You just have to weigh up at what point does an engineered solution becomes a cottage botch.

It would be interesting to see the internal gubbins. I have access to a small lathe and a 3D printer. I was wondering if it would be possible to dismantle the sensor and make a 3d printed housing suitable for the Supra hub. But would need to know what dimensions we are looking at etc...

The sensor I have really does need to be checked out for the depth before it could be considered a possible candidate. Its failed on width so its far from certain that the depth is correct for the Supra hub, or can be corrected.

What do we recon guys, is it worthwhile pushing on with this? With either this sensor or any other similar ones? I think it'd need a few pieces to pull together. A OE sensor to scan and print a copy of the casing. A generic sensor, Like the one I have to pull apart and hopefully rehoused into a printed case or preferably it can be slimmed down sufficiently to sleeve into a Supra hub sized printed case. Then there would need to be a knackered sensor to splice a new bespoke one onto that Matt has volunteered to donate. Finally, it'd benefit from someone in the garge trade who has Supras in regularly who could whip in the prototype to see if its recognised and functions or knows of a customer with a rear sensor issue. That needs a few individuals to work together to see if its something that is in theory faesible but in practice takes a bit of effort and collective will to actually have a go.

Potentially we appear to have the first parts covered if the sensor depth turns out to be OK leaving a garage operator or someone working on their Supra to join in. Is there anyone who would be interested to participate in an ABS sensor in car testing?

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I can try and find a similarly sized sensor at work (auto parts store). Any mass produced European car with generic style ABS sensors will have a cheap Chinese knock-off. I need to just carefully pry my own sensor out of the hub to do so.

I've had an ABS sensor in my eBay watch list for ages as I remember reading a couple of separate posts a long time ago where it got mentioned as possible alternative, but there was never any updates.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Speed-Sensor-Front-Right-TOYOTA-YARIS-VITZ-89542-0D010-LEMARK-LAB229/263210589215

Does look well made.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about someone also trying the Lexus ES sensor (but not 100%). It does look a lot like the one rider posted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-ABS-Speed-Sensor-Front-Rear-Left-Right-For-ES300-Toyota-Avalon-Camry-Solara/281951229853?_trkparms=aid%3D1110004%26algo%3DSPLICE.COMP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200603054316%26meid%3De741862c1b6d44f3b5ab0aca1eb4d31b%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D274066464986%26itm%3D281951229853%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3Ddefault&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

Also, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about someone also trying the Lexus ES sensor (but not 100%). It does look a lot like the one rider posted.

The one I bought in is sold as an ES300 sensor. I now know its wider and I think its also deeper. The only solution I can see is to find the centres with the correct contacts and resistance then sleeve or machine them to fit Supra hubs and then splice those intot he old sensor wiring. I have looked at manufacturers of sensor wire but none of them sell to anyone outside of component manufacturers. So people might be able to cobble together replacement sensors but finding a long run ABS wire for the rears looks like being impossible.

I've also been looking into this. Funnily enough there's a few sensors on Alibaba for £20 that "fit a supra", I don't expect they will, but i thought for £20 it's worth a shot. As Mark says, the Yaris ones look very similar.

If you don't continue with the project I'm going to have to as both my rear sensors are destroyed as they wouldn't come out. Having my hubs blasted and painted with new bearings installed.

Hopefully one of us will find something that works soon so everyone can replace their sensors without having to pay hundreds of pounds.

I've also been looking into this. Funnily enough there's a few sensors on Alibaba for £20 that "fit a supra", I don't expect they will, but i thought for £20 it's worth a shot. As Mark says, the Yaris ones look very similar.

If you don't continue with the project I'm going to have to as both my rear sensors are destroyed as they wouldn't come out. Having my hubs blasted and painted with new bearings installed.

Hopefully one of us will find something that works soon so everyone can replace their sensors without having to pay hundreds of pounds.

Maybe the club could fund an ABS sensor project to buy in a load of sensors and if they don't fit we can then see if they can be easily worked or machined to fit and those that do taken onto member car trials. Lets hear from the super mods on that. Imagine if that worked, all things could be opened up from printed air boxes, to trim and pipe clips through to essential safety components and the club would quite rightly receive universal praise from within Supra World.

Maybe the Yaris one will be a better fit? Looks more like a stock Supra sensor
I have heard the coil packs fit a supra according to the Oz's... So good chance the ABS sensors may be compatible. Just need someone with a removed hub to confirm...

Hi

I first tried a corolla one that looked very similar but was too short

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Right-ABS-Wheel-Speed-Sensor-For-Toyota-Avensis-Corolla-Wire-Brand-New/151432019530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have current installed lexus and celica ones in and am awaiting a test run to vlaidate if they are working. i did have to modify them to get them to fit and get the sensor tip right down next to the wheel.

Will keep you posted.

The sensors are Supra specific. Rumour is other cars share the same hubs. The Lexus GS300 of the era and early Soarers but they were saloon cars giving a different and shorter route from sensor to the loom. So theoretically the sensor heads should be the same for a few cars but the fit is all different. There is no aftermarket option I've come across for those with a common hub just some sensors listed for the usual few hundred $'s. If you are paying a few hundred $'s people may as well just buy second hand Supra sensors that will fit for a few hundred £'s. The holy grail is the £10 sensor that can be made to work easily and effectively in a Supra.

has anyone run the part number through toyodiy to see if the part number is fitted to any other vehicle?

/quote]

I just cross referenced all the part numbers and just two alternate cars came back for the front sensors only.

Japan 05/1991-11/2000 TOYOTA SOARER

N. America 04/1991-06/2000 LEXUS SC300/400

89542 SENSOR, SPEED, FRONT RH

89542-14020 (05/1993 - 04/1996)

89542-14030 (05/1996 - 07/1999)

89543 SENSOR, SPEED, FRONT LH

89543-14020 (05/1993 - 04/1996)

89543-14030 (05/1996 - 07/1999)

89545 sensor, speed, rear rh

89545-14010 (05/1993 - 04/1996)

89545-14020 (05/1996 - 07/1999)

89546 sensor, speed, rear lh

89546-14010 (05/1993 - 04/1996)

89546-14020 (05/1996 - 07/1999)

Any further updates on this? Might order the Yaris ones linked and see how different they actually are, if at all.

I think my sensors were damaged by garage doing underneath restoration when removing them from the hubs! To be fair I never warned them how expensive they are :(