The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Amelia Island auction

Dnk

It is a US Spec car, so it does have the Export Spec engine with periscope to cool turbo #2 and cylinders 4, 5 and 6 but not the hood scoop. It is a very strange thing in US Spec cars compared to UK and Euro Spec Supras.

I’d rather have one of these :cool:

Indeed but that will possibly fetch close to $1,000,000 so can't be compared to the mkiv at the moment.

Buy the mkiv, properly store it then bring it out in 30 yrs time and see where that's gone in value

That is a tidy sum of money that the buyer has had to pay.

But I've never understood the desire to own cars purely to store them away, in fear of being driven for the additional milegae depreciation.

There are museums for that sort of carry on :)

If its just for the investment angle then there is a big risk in that venture too, as we've seen with a global pandemic, people's priorities change very quickly whereby cash in the bank to be able to spend on essentials for living becomes much more valuable than assets for sale that nobody has the desire to buy. Besides that, surely the investment has now been 'made' by whoever previously owned the car? Even in the best of times, is a Toyota Supra likely to rise more than that price? (time will tell I suppose)

That is a tidy sum of money that the buyer has had to pay.

But I've never understood the desire to own cars purely to store them away, in fear of being driven for the additional milegae depreciation.

There are museums for that sort of carry on :)

If its just for the investment angle then there is a big risk in that venture too, as we've seen with a global pandemic, people's priorities change very quickly whereby cash in the bank to be able to spend on essentials for living becomes much more valuable than assets for sale that nobody has the desire to buy. Besides that, surely the investment has now been 'made' by whoever previously owned the car? Even in the best of times, is a Toyota Supra likely to rise more than that price? (time will tell I suppose)

What gives your "cash in the bank" any value?

During times of uncertainty, tangible assets become far more valuable than "cash".

What gives your "cash in the bank" any value?

During times of uncertainty, tangible assets become far more valuable than "cash".

Well for one, cash in the bank allows you to buy bog roll ;)

I don't think Aldi would be able to take a swapsy for bog roll with a person's car.

Its the use of a common value that people will accept for payment for essentials. One person may see no value in a sports car, where as another may see it as their 'dream'. But if there is no common value agreed then it becomes worthless for paying for essentials for living.

Cash in the bank is also the method for mortgage payments, council bills, food, fuel etc. etc.

Assets are good for 'storing' wealth, and a method for trying to counter inflation and lack of interest rates, but its not a "liquid" form of wealth if you need to spend quickly in an emergency, for example if you lose your job and you have upcoming heating, food and mortgage payments.

But there is a valid argument for the bank "owning" your money. We saw in the last finance crisis the likes of Cyprus where the banks refused access to private accounts - to prevent a run on the banks but also to aid them from failing, where private funds had to stay in the institution to keep them afloat.

But at least in the UK we do have the FSCS as you mention.

Well for one, cash in the bank allows you to buy bog roll ;)

I don't think Aldi would be able to take a swapsy for bog roll with a person's car.

Its the use of a common value that people will accept for payment for essentials. One person may see no value in a sports car, where as another may see it as their 'dream'. But if there is no common value agreed then it becomes worthless for paying for essentials for living.

Cash in the bank is also the method for mortgage payments, council bills, food, fuel etc. etc.

Assets are good for 'storing' wealth, and a method for trying to counter inflation and lack of interest rates, but its not a "liquid" form of wealth if you need to spend quickly in an emergency, for example if you lose your job and you have upcoming heating, food and mortgage payments.

But there is a valid argument for the bank "owning" your money. We saw in the last finance crisis the likes of Cyprus where the banks refused access to private accounts - to prevent a run on the banks but also to aid them from failing, where private funds had to stay in the institution to keep them afloat.

But at least in the UK we do have the FSCS as you mention.

The sun is yet to set on day 1 of this crisis. Very early days to be making such assertions about the likes of Aldi. I hope there is still a thing called Aldi as the sun rises on day 2 of this crisis.

Supermarkets seem to be the only businesses doing 'well' recently.

I fear for a lot of other type of businesses though. I think you are correct to point out it is still early days and as it all drags on the reality of lockdown and other restrictions will be apparent.

One positive aspect is that its not like the finance crisis, which had an internal 'rot' in the system, once restrictions are lifted the demand should return steadily. But of course the big question is whether there will be businesses still afloat to provide the supply.

Those that are should see a "V" shape return to business, but as many will likely fail and have to restart, the economy as a whole is said to be a bit like a strange looking "wheel barrow" shape. (That being a steep drop down to the base of the "wheel barrow" and then a graduated curve back up to meet demand).

Scary times.

Supermarkets seem to be the only businesses doing 'well' recently.

I fear for a lot of other type of businesses though. I think you are correct to point out it is still early days and as it all drags on the reality of lockdown and other restrictions will be apparent.

One positive aspect is that its not like the finance crisis, which had an internal 'rot' in the system, once restrictions are lifted the demand should return steadily. But of course the big question is whether there will be businesses still afloat to provide the supply.

Those that are should see a "V" shape return to business, but as many will likely fail and have to restart, the economy as a whole is said to be a bit like a strange looking "wheel barrow" shape. (That being a steep drop down to the base of the "wheel barrow" and then a graduated curve back up to meet demand).

Scary times.

In uncertain times like these, one can only look at history for an indication of how things may play out. The last time anything remotely similar happened, was back in 1918 with the Spanish Flu. This was shortly followed by none other than the great depression.

Whilst I acknowledge the other factors which played a hand in the economic crisis back then, I would argue that the economy is now much larger and much more 'connected' and 'integrated' than it was back then. Leaving it more susceptible to the domino effect.

As they say, the bigger you are, the harder you fall.

once a vaccine is created then hopefully for the majority of people who get it it will be treatable ,but cant see that for a year or so

If and when a vaccine is approved, manufactured and shipped, the first batch would cover circa 1B people. So who gets it first? Also, how long will it take before the subsequent batches are ready? Realistically, we're probably looking at late 2021 before the masses are vaccinated to a sufficient level in order to completely eradicate the virus from the population.

Agreed :(

but enough of that :D long time no post? the sig says you sold the hairpin drifting Evo, so what have you been enjoying since, anything interesting?

Hi Scooter :)

Yes sold all my performance cars a few years ago and ventured away from being a regular poster on this forum, only checking in every now and then to see if the UK Supra community was still going strong.

After selling the Supra we used the money on some luxury holidays over the past few years. Taking business class flights and 4-5 star hotels and all that. Its been great. (Until this virus outbreak of course)

I have also been saving up for something new in terms of special car. For a while I was looking at the 4.7 V8 Vantage, but they are just a minefield on maintenance. If you happen to buy one that has been well built then great, but if not then cost of ownership can cripple you.

I then started looking at the Audi V10 R8. Again, maintenance record is key and these cars are generally well built and considered bullet proof in many ways. Carbon build up is the only main issue to consider.

But then the C8 Corvette started to hit the radar. No manual gearbox option at the moment but the dual-clutch on this new car is said to be fantastic. So when it comes to the UK and hopefully in decent numbers to cause a good amount of depreciation, I am thinking this could become an option.

But at the moment my daily run around is an A4 2L turbo (220bhp) quattro. And I also have a 'holiday' car which is an S4 3L supercharged (approx. 340bhp) quattro.

How are you doing these days? Supra still going strong?

Edited by AJI (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry missed this! Yes last Supra left is going strong been through a few but doubt I'll change now, mine isn't perfect by any means but I know it and it's issues don't fancy chancing a different one at today's prices vs age.

I have a manual BMW 645 convertible which was cheap and is fun/ a novelty if not exactly nimble!

Sounds like you have a bit of budget creep going on ;) I get a roving eye at times but staying a bit hands on and budget still.

Glad you enjoyed your trips in time, might be a little while before that's all back to normal, certainly in some areas of the globe.