The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t vvti bw s369

Mike2JZ

I know lots of the NA guys have been discussing the use of VVTI NA heads for future builds. It's not in a Supra, but I've been lucky enough to build this car for a friend and we got a bit carried away.

The good news is that 2JZGE VVTI is an awesome platform for power once built. Makes what is basically a big diesel truck turbo come on fairly responsively so some bottom end pull can be enjoyed before holding on as it revs to 8k+

Engine Type - 2JZ GE VVTI

Engine Spec - SRD Stage 3 Head, SRD Stage 1 Block, BC 272 Cams, FIC 1200 Injectors, NPBoosted Inlet Manifold, Walton T4 Twinscroll Manifold & 60mm Turbosmart GenV Wastegate, 5'' Whifbitz Intercooler

Turbo - Borg Warner S369 1.0 A/R

Fuel Used - Shell VPower & 60% Ethanol

Exhaust - 3.5'' Downpipe to twin 3'' exhausts

Transmission - Stock R154 (Brand New)

ECU - Link ECU

Mapped By - SRD

Dyno Used - SRD

Pump fuel figures - 738 horsepower @ the wheels, 611 ft.lbs of torque @ 1.8 Bar Boost

60% ethanol - 845 @ the wheels, 716 ft.lbs of torque @ 2 Bar Boost

attachment.php?attachmentid=235157&stc=1&d=1584483742

Pump Fuel - Wastegate Pressure 1 Bar

attachment.php?attachmentid=235154&stc=1&d=1584483619

Pump Fuel - 1.8 Bar

attachment.php?attachmentid=235155&stc=1&d=1584483619

Ethanol 60% - 2 Bar Boost

attachment.php?attachmentid=235156&stc=1&d=1584483619

VVTI On & Off Comparison at low RPM. Boost limit set to cut ignition when 1 Bar boost reached. Much nicer bottom end power and faster spool.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235153&stc=1&d=1584483619

2JZGE VVTI 1.0 Bar VVTI on vs off.png

2JZGE VVTI 1.0 BarVpower.png

2JZGE VVTI 1.8 Bar Vpower.png

2JZGE VVTI 2 Bar E60.png

gs30011.jpg

Incredible build. Some top work there clearly shown in the power values.

Was the R154 modified in anyway?

Lovely to see people utilising the GE items more these days.

Great power on size of the turbo. Lovely shot with the vvti on and off also. Good data to have. Would love to see a full plot.

Top work.

Incredible build. Some top work there clearly shown in the power values.

Was the R154 modified in anyway?

Lovely to see people utilising the GE items more these days.

Great power on size of the turbo. Lovely shot with the vvti on and off also. Good data to have. Would love to see a full plot.

Top work.

Thanks

For anyone building a high power JZ setup, this is a perfect example of good power being achieved minus the additional mark up of buying a GTE engine to start with.

R154 is completely stock, purchased new from Toyota Japan few months ago. I doubt the box will last long especially on high boost, but shall see how it gets on, could surprise us. If not, will drop a HD gearset into it once it breaks.

I don't have a full plot as I didn't bother doing a full non vvti run versus vvti with this car, but can find a graph from another car here

Awesome work, Mike. I imagine your friend was quite happy with the results, I know I would be?! :D

Yeah he's pretty chuffed so far. Will be interesting to see how a big power JZ in a luxury barge feels like

Epic! Great to see the NA-T's making big power

Thoughts in the intake manifold? Never heard of it before so would be good to see if it's worth going for :)

For the money its pretty good. I'd still class it as an eBay part, but of the eBay manifolds you can buy its the best i've used. Not much else on the market for £500 that can compete with it.

Drivability is good, throttle feels fine, quality is pretty good and it supports the power.

Only issue so far I've had is the throttle sticking as the butterfly valve screws loosened and the throttle blade moved after seeing lots of high boost action. Screws have been resealed in now, will see if they move again. If so will have to find another solution.

GE VVTI head GTE VVTI head

This setup still have the GE VVTI Head right ?

Yes this is using a ge head with small port and polish.

We overlaid this vs similar gte builds and the results are very similar. Gains are negligible between gte and ge from what I can see so far.

• 4 months later...