The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upper Rear Suspension Arms

ben_harmer32

Got an advisory on MOT for play in one of the upper rear suspension arm. I'm going to replace both. What do you think is the best solution?

(car is used daily currently running BPU)

I have looked at the following:

Driftworks at £199 for the pair (if they come back in stock)

https://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-rear-camber-arms-jza80-supra.html

Japspeed at £334 for the pair

https://www.japspeed.co.uk/toyota-supra-mk4-jza80-2jz-gte-93-00-adjustable-suspension-rear-upper-control-arms

Replace the bushes on current stock ones at £47.88 a side (think these are the right ones? or are these for the inner two only can't replace the outer one?)

https://powerflexstore.co.uk/toyota/supra-4-jza80-1993-2002/powerflex-rear-track-control-arm-outer-bush-supra-4-jza80-1993-2002-pfr76-611/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLJzW326IydZ4o0NYXGUPTJ7J5uUxLyMCzbwEGO2cNob1NM86j0hhtRoCfEQQAvD_BwE

I did look at new OEM ones but at £330.82 a side seems a bit steep

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota-supra-rear-upper-suspension-arm-left.html?___SID=U

Any thoughts or other ideas please? Thank you :)

Edited by ben_harmer32 (see edit history)

Depends if play is coming from ball joint or the rubber bushes that hold it to the subframe. If it's balljoint then change with OE arm, if its the rubber bushes then change with a polybush and you will be good to go. Usually its the rubber bush that goes before the balljoint

Depends if play is coming from ball joint or the rubber bushes that hold it to the subframe. If it's balljoint then change with OE arm, if its the rubber bushes then change with a polybush and you will be good to go. Usually its the rubber bush that goes before the balljoint

I generally agree with this. However, if the rear bushes have gone, it's probably wise to assume the ball joints days are numbered too. I'd only replace OE, but I understand that's not always possible. They are stupid expensive items.

I generally agree with this. However, if the rear bushes have gone, it's probably wise to assume the ball joints days are numbered too. I'd only replace OE, but I understand that's not always possible. They are stupid expensive items.

By that logic you might as well restore the entire underside whilst you are at it cause if one ball joint is assumed to be gone then most the other ones probably will be too. Where do you stop

Ben if you get a new arm, could you let me know as I'd like to compare it to the used ones I have to see if they are good or not (the bushes on the stock arm are as per below and more 'trick' than a polybush)

CW Quotes about upper rear arms

"If there isn't one that's low then it's probably rear top wishbone bushes. (Which are really rubber encases spherical bearings, an a superb set up)."

"Rear top wishbone inner spherical bearings play up a lot through wear, can be hard to find unless you know how to articulate it."

The best imo is OE, call Steve Manley or your nearest Toyota dealer, i found mine beat Whifbitz

prices by a fair margin when i used to buy parts

Think these are the part numbers if you haven't got them

48770-19025 RH

48790-19025 LH

I will give my local Toyota a call, and thank you for the part numbers :)

I’m not sure where it is coming from, I’ll get underneath and give it a wriggle. Thank you! Are the bushes a pain to get out? Guessing they need a big press...

don't use those japspeed / driftworks arms.... they are very poor quality and corrode within a year and ive had a few here outside that have crashed because they have snapped.....

id either go with the bushes or new oem arms

That’s shocking, never knew they’d be like that! I’ve used them on previous cars :blink: Thank you for the advice.

Ben if you get a new arm, could you let me know as I'd like to compare it to the used ones I have to see if they are good or not (the bushes on the stock arm are as per below and more 'trick' than a polybush)

I will let you know if/when I’ve found some.

I can't see these arms on the list?

Think they do just the fronts from link?

Not sure to be honest guys, quick google search on a phone and that is what came up. So I posted the link. Send them and email to see if they stock the others, can't see them just doing the fronts and not the rears unless these are new to the market and they want to see how they are received by the public.