The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Market Vs Everywhere Else

Westy

Yes it had rust issue where the boot hinge is. The tachometer didn’t work. Both which Torque GT has sorted which was good of them. They have managed to source me a set of 17inch rims. Just need to get a carbon steering wheel now. :)
Prices will only rise!

I have a carbon wheel for sale. As your a forum member will discount it from £5k to £3k plus your vvti airbox.

Will hold for 2 days only due to high level of interest.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are people thoughts on future prices for classic cars like ours with the direction the government want to go with electric cars etc.

Will old classics start to drop with electric cars, will the banning of diesel cars in some town centres already soon effect large engine petrol cars in towns

I have a mate who lives in Richmond who has a 7ltr cobra and is worried what the future hold for him and the car.. especially as it’s a kit car

This is crystal ball gazing which I looked into a couple of weeks back and the 'experts' cannot agree with what the impact of phasing out petrol and diesel vehciles will do for the classic car market. Some believe classics will disappear into museums and crushed and others beleive the nostalgia will continue and maybe even develop further alongside bland silent type electrics. One positive sign is they closed all the coal mines but heritage steam railways have never been more popular. So why not the same for classic cars where you have to believe the truely iconic cars will always have a drooling market. That will sadly, likely mean the loss of the very last Vauxhall Chevette but those Aston Martin DB5's will always find a welcoming home. There will be probably 50 cars that will always find a market in the future of icons of the past and the Supra has a fair chance of being one of those because of its film star and gaming heritage. These things endure, every petrol head knows why the 1967 Ford Mustang is iconic and how many people today were interested in cars in 1967?

The internal combustion cars that do remain will continue to run but will need to be fuel delivery modified to get used to ever increasing ethanol levels in the fuel which will always be available and have a market price set to sugar, grain and cane commodity pricing. Plus whatever taxes of course. In 2050, you'll likely be buying your road ethanol in 4l bottles from Amazon being a certified classic car owning V5 registered purchaser to stop alcoholics buying it.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

This is crystal ball gazing which I looked into a couple of weeks back and the 'experts' cannot agree with what the impact of phasing out petrol and diesel vehciles will do for the classic car market. Some believe classics will disappear into museums and crushed and others beleive the nostalgia will continue and maybe even develop further alongside bland silent type electrics. One positive sign is they closed all the coal mines but heritage steam railways have never been more popular. So why not the same for classic cars where you have to believe the truely iconic cars will always have a drooling market. That will sadly, likely mean the loss of the very last Vauxhall Chevette but those Aston Martin DB5's will always find a welcoming home. There will be probably 50 cars that will always find a market in the future of icons of the past and the Supra has a fair chance of being one of those because of its film star and gaming heritage. These things endure, every petrol head knows why the 1967 Ford Mustang is iconic and how many people today were interested in cars in 1967?

The internal combustion cars that do remain will continue to run but will need to be fuel delivery modified to get used to ever increasing ethanol levels in the fuel which will always be available and have a market price set to sugar, grain and cane commodity pricing. Plus whatever taxes of course. In 2050, you'll likely be buying your road ethanol in 4l bottles from Amazon being a certified classic car owning V5 registered purchaser to stop alcoholics buying it.

To be honest, in the next 10 years i think the climate alarmists will be debunked and people will realise that the current fad is just another in the long line of failed doomsday predictions. The electric car idea will die a natural death as it becomes clear that its simply unworkable. How will people who have to park on the road charge their cars? You cant just run an extension across the pavement. How will charging stations work? You would need them on every road and there would be hundreds of cars lined up waiting to charge. Its nothing but a lot of pie in the sky and petrol and diesel is here to stay.

In distant future, they will have manufactures agree to universal format, lightweight and more efficient battery packs that are replaced at home and exchanged at service stations.

You won’t wait for charging. You’ll just switch out a portable pack

/QUOTE]This is happening today in China. No scifi at all.

You buy the car without a battery, and you pay monthly for a battery rental service. You go to the station car is lifted, battery dropped, new one in, off you go. Takes 5 mins.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I know of someone who is a very clever physicist who is part of a team working on wireless induction charging where cables could be laid under or alongside or overhead the road surface for intervals at intervals and cars fitted with smart meters that would then lead to period billing for charging used. There are pilots running trials already and he recons roll out systems will be around within 10 years. So people shouldn't need to trip over all the extension leads running out to the road from a gap in peoples windows, nor do pit stops to swap out battery packs. Classic cars with their grinning owner will roar by the 70mph limited GPS managed electric cars on their alcohol fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this thread.

"B interior fairly good interior condition, six-speed manual transmission, AAC (auto air conditioner), AWs (factory original alloy wheels), PS (power steering), PW (power windows), turbo timer, one owner, strut bar, boost gauge, service book, spare key(s), dashboard waves, exterior paintwork has minor scratches and slightly paint fade, rear hatch dampers need repair or replacing, front bumper paint crack(s), front windscreen stone scratches (stone chips), other marks as per map''

IMG_4477.jpg

This sold last night for 4950m Yen - this equates to £41,000 on UK Shores

It's more than that isn't it? £34K direct conversion plus shipping 1K (I know it'll be more) then duty at 10% on this total £3.5K then 20% vat on that so another near £8K so over £45K?

The thing is as far as i can work out the USA have only 2.5% car tax duty and no vat so the same car costs 'only' £38/39K to them.....but then it's rhd.

It's more than that isn't it? £34K direct conversion plus shipping 1K (I know it'll be more) then duty at 10% on this total £3.5K then 20% vat on that so another near £8K so over £45K?

The thing is as far as i can work out the USA have only 2.5% car tax duty and no vat so the same car costs 'only' £38/39K to them.....but then it's rhd.

If you have a look at the recent videos on YouTube, it would appear that the US market is warming to RHD Supras... they consider them bargains compared to what the LHD Supras are fetching.

If you have a look at the recent videos on YouTube, it would appear that the US market is warming to RHD Supras... they consider them bargains compared to what the LHD Supras are fetching.

yep - they are stockpiling them too. I guess it will drive LHD prices there further up, with the RHD sitting 20% behind them (would be my guess)

it possibly could bring the LHD prices down i suppose but i doubt it.

yep - they are stockpiling them too. I guess it will drive LHD prices there further up, with the RHD sitting 20% behind them (would be my guess)

it possibly could bring the LHD prices down i suppose but i doubt it.

In any event and if the basic economics of supply and demand is applied, this increased demand should continue to push the value of RHD Supras up.

Gearboxes and engines are the same etc and a fresh import is still half (or even less) that of some of their domestic ones so can see why they are popular, importing fees being low helps them too compared to us, the add ons for us make them very expensive. I did look at a late low mile NA on Goonet and it was coming in at close to £20k landed and I wont' get that for my Auto TT here.

There have been no instances of $100K sold Supra's here unlike the states, there's no Arizona type (zero rust) states here and very few unused minters, seems to be a lower amount of general respect and admiration for the marque here too for whatever reason (from seeing pistonheads comments).

We are just a micro community in the UK, I think the newer cleaner ones will hold value alright, but I'm just not sure we'll see the numbers of new breed of owner coming in to make them really shoot up.

Gearboxes and engines are the same etc and a fresh import is still half (or even less) that of some of their domestic ones so can see why they are popular, importing fees being low helps them too compared to us, the add ons for us make them very expensive. I did look at a late low mile NA on Goonet and it was coming in at close to £20k landed and I wont' get that for my Auto TT here.

There have been no instances of $100K sold Supra's here unlike the states, there's no Arizona type (zero rust) states here and very few unused minters, seems to be a lower amount of general respect and admiration for the marque here too for whatever reason (from seeing pistonheads comments).

We are just a micro community in the UK, I think the newer cleaner ones will hold value alright, but I'm just not sure we'll see the numbers of new breed of owner coming in to make them really shoot up.

Yea agreed the level of appreciation in UK is just not that high......... as per your example of the NA I don't think there will be many more freshly imported cars coming to the UK because of this.... Importers who do get the cars will end up selling them to other regions or europe or who knows. Once the demand really kicks up US folks will start to look for cars here.

Even with R34 GTRs...clean bay side blue vspecs worth over a 100 k here by then time they get here. And I don't see a lot of cars getting sold beyond 60K....skyline prices still going up steadly.

Maybe is up to us to keep the flag waving to get the new breeds more interested..... There are a few kids who do pick up their interest from driving the supra on Forza horizon and so on....

Edited by Stephen88 (see edit history)

What a sad eventuality that would be... don't worry chaps, I'll hang on to my white one. By then, it'll be 1 of 1 in the UK!

Mine one is a white wich is off a similar condition too millege probably not low as yours... Mine is 97 K KM..... is a stock RZ-S but gradually changing bits of it to turn it into a late RZ...

Recaro seats, Carbon streering wheel (not yet found.... missed one last yr in September :( ) Black rear interior, managed to ship a set of 17inch wheels from japan. I am also trying to get hold of a black interior rear seats...

seems to be harder and harder to get these bits...as the days go by... I keep my hopes up tho....

Prices will only rise!

I have a carbon wheel for sale. As your a forum member will discount it from £5k to £3k plus your vvti airbox.

Will hold for 2 days only due to high level of interest.

/QUOTE]

I can't afford 3K for a wheel.....!!! I thought I over paid for TRD speedo with gauge cluster!..Spent 1 K almost...

I think it is absolutely up to us to keep waving the flag in order to maintain or increase interest levels in the UK market. However, this will have no bearing on interest from abroad. The eventuality I dread the most is one where all the decent examples have been exported to the US, Europe, UAE and ironically, back to Japan, and we end up with all the unwanted rust buckets.

Mine one is a white wich is off a similar condition too millege probably not low as yours... Mine is 97 K KM..... is a stock RZ-S but gradually changing bits of it to turn it into a late RZ...

Recaro seats, Carbon streering wheel (not yet found.... missed one last yr in September :( ) Black rear interior, managed to ship a set of 17inch wheels from japan. I am also trying to get hold of a black interior rear seats...

seems to be harder and harder to get these bits...as the days go by... I keep my hopes up tho....

been looking for recaros for ages. Where did you find yours? The ones are ebay are in dog condition

I managed to get a nice an clean set for £1200 on ebay.

japanese yahoo will be where I am looking if I was to get another set tho

Ahh were they the ones in London a few months back? I was literally about to buy those and they dissapeared lol