The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Built A Mini Nurburgring Replica In Japan For Itself

Frank Bullitt

Taken from here - https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/29/toyota-built-mini-nurburgring-replica-track/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJ8i3fRefRi4tWWOMX8A_gSEBydZWSJiiKLkYRNy2Qe2_vCPGGM_lPqFoPfGl7H4iQh1TjJ9zmkgMz231O1kGhT4B4nyNGl8XwsdJVy01xAnCSvOE1WljzQaXBrY72nhsreRmbEOkftw85KRldlEIMdRPtubhrclgg5klPJoAyPE

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpeg

Toyota just finished and opened a proving grounds facility in Japan with a Nürburgring-inspired racetrack as one of the main events at the complex.

"Based on long experience of the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which is famous throughout the world for its grueling driving conditions, Toyota has designed an exacting test course that takes advantage of local topography and features a roughly 75-meter change in elevation between its highest and lowest points, as well as a wide range of curves and corners."

Now, the test track isn't as long as the Nürburgring at only 3.3 miles in length, but Toyota was serious about trying to mimic the conditions. The whole course winds through a 2.5-mile wooded area filled with hills and elevation changes.

10.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpeg

Akio Toyoda said this in a statement about the test track: "With the aim of making ever-better cars, we have continued to make various efforts in 'feeling the road' and 'conversing with cars' through driving tests around the world. With the replication of severe driving conditions at the new test course, we intend to thoroughly hone every one of our models and develop the types of cars that epitomize the true joy of driving."

Those are heady words for Toyota. The company has been serious about making its cars more fun to drive as of late, and this is one more example of that intention. This track is set to be a part of a larger complex that has various simulations of other roads around the world, in addition to a high-speed test track. It's said to have cost $2.68 billion to build, and while the Toyota Nürburgring is operational now, the entire facility will be ready in 2023.

It's hard to tell much from the limited photography provided, but the aerial shot definitely reminds us of the rolling German forests at the Nürburgring. Now let's just hope Toyota follows through and gives us even more engaging cars to drive.

4.jpeg

Let me translate that for you. ;)

"Mit das aim of making ever-better autos, ve haff continued to make various efforts in 'feeling das Straßen' and 'unterhalten mit autos' through driving tests around das Reich. Mit das replication of severe Deutsch driving conditions at das neu test course, we intend to thoroughly schärfen every one of our models and develop das types of autos that epitomize das true Freude am Fahren."

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
One minute they can't afford to develop the new Supra themselves, next minute they develop their own nurburgring. Oh Toyota. Be interesting to see if they open this for public use, or strictly for Toyota use only.

Businesses tend to fund things like this differently than their core product depending on things like grants available, tax deductions, investment over time etc.

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Toyota after all their reasonings for not building their own flagship car. Now they build this...

So Toyota like to lie a lot is what we’ve established?

They could have afforded to build a new supra from scratch, they're one of the most profitable car companies on the planet, I guess they didn't want to spend more than they have to on something that doesn't sell big volumes and it may also have been an experiement to see how they can work closer with the likes of BMW going forward. Plus they have Lexus for their development budget these days.

There were plenty of weird things said about the new Supra, even down to the bonnet having 2 catches because the boss wanted it, despite the fact its just a standard feature on BMW's. They just don't hide the little fibs very well.

They could have afforded to build a new supra from scratch, they're one of the most profitable car companies on the planet, I guess they didn't want to spend more than they have to on something that doesn't sell big volumes and it may also have been an experiement to see how they can work closer with the likes of BMW going forward. Plus they have Lexus for their development budget these days.

There were plenty of weird things said about the new Supra, even down to the bonnet having 2 catches because the boss wanted it, despite the fact its just a standard feature on BMW's. They just don't hide the little fibs very well.

The lies are huge for me personally. In my opinion its a huge loss of credibility. How can you trust a brand that has lied, about this flagship no less, that much.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this heritage scheme comes to nothing.

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

The lies are huge for me personally. In my opinion its a huge loss of credibility. How can you trust a brand that has lied, about this flagship no less, that much.

It would surprise me if this heritage scheme comes to nothing.

Yup, believe it when I see it.

I have noticed they're trying to jump on the brand ownership bandwagon having driver days, and other brand related driving events... its good that its happened but a shame we missed out on that over the years previously, but Toyota UK itself was probably a lot smaller with far less budget than they are today. So it seems that are making some effort at least.

Toyota are soo bad at planning, they can't even spell it!

A80 Supra

Head lamps To be announced Planed to start in 2020

Door handle To be announced Planed to start in 2020

Brake booster To be announced Planed to start in 2020

I wonder if it's an onside or an offside door handle?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

https://toyotagazooracing.com/gr/heritage/

Door handles

Head lamps

Brake booster

got their priorities right didn’t they :lol:

Dear Toyota,

We can only take so much disappointment for one decade.

Sincerely,

All non BMW Supra Owners

Toyota are soo bad at planning, they can't even spell it!

A80 Supra

Head lamps To be announced Planed to start in 2020

Door handle To be announced Planed to start in 2020

Brake booster To be announced Planed to start in 2020

I wonder if it's an onside or an offside door handle?

:rlol: