The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To go single or not?

Tommyd16

Some are missing my point a single turbo is great don't get me wrong , but a single turbo auto needs a hi stall to be as great

As for the BPU vs single 1/4 mile times

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?166336-Supra-Drag-Racing-Times

Forgive me if I am wrong, but weren't Kevin Huntley, Jamie P and Robbie all single?

With Kevin and Jamie being manual and Robbie being auto?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but weren't Kevin Huntley, Jamie P and Robbie all single?

Kevin and Jamie were both big power manuals (circa 1000bhp) Robbie had a Boostlogic Auto with 3800rpm hi stall. Not sure on Robbie power figure but I’d guess around 700bhp as the Boostlogic box can’t take much more as we found out on the hub dyno.

I posted it to compare the list of singles vs BPU times not for auto, manual or top 3 of each.

if you look at the list you can see that bpu and single turbos come in around 13-12 so some bpu cars are beating single turbo times , even at suprapod mattp put out a better time then me with a bpu and im a 524bhp single both auto

Just out of interest why would this be the case? Is it due to the power restrictions of the auto box? Or driveability etc?

You only have 4 speeds in an auto so I am guessing lag is problem, at BPU sequential you have more power lower down. I am guessing to get a good single Auto you need a decent power band to make us of how long you stay in a gear.

Stock autos are roughly 1st - 50mph, 2nd - 90mph, 3rd - 130mph and 4th 190mph

Drag times don't help much as the issue (or relatively slow singles) is always traction, generally more power is obviously quicker the trick is putting it down, if they do that they fly (as per Jamie's time quoted.

I was just about to say that, at no time in his original thread did the op mention drag racing lol, everyone banging on about autos being quicker down the strip wtf, i`d say go for the single, really brings these cars to life especially a nicely setup manual with around 650....perfect.

I posted it to compare the list of singles vs BPU times not for auto, manual or top 3 of each.

if you look at the list you can see that bpu and single turbos come in around 13-12 so some bpu cars are beating single turbo times , even at suprapod mattp put out a better time then me with a bpu and im a 524bhp single both auto

And if you look at the bottom end of the list you see TT autos being beaten by N/A's. I understand what you are trying to say but even though the race is in a straight line there are far too many factors involved to come to that conclusion. Getting down the 1320 the fastest is alot harder than it looks at first glance.