The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time for a respray!

Mk4Gaz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You remade your wings and wondered how you re-attached the mounting brackets. The wider ones I bought left the headlight bracket off. I wondered if you transferred that metal bracket to your new grp arches.
I've made the mounting brackets fit the same way as oem matey. The brackets are also grp

Delboy do you also have FRP over flare front fenders like me? I too was wondering for long how people done it or how the oem one looks as my TRD ones have been cut off. I am going to hopefully get a friend locally who is respraying his car to use his fenders to copy those pieces for myself using fibre glass. I cannot mount my head lights to my car except with one bolt.

On a side note, nice work Gary. See you doing this all yourself? The roof looks top notch mate. Hopefully one day I can do this in my own spare time as well as my car too needs body work and prep

Delboy do you also have FRP over flare front fenders like me? I too was wondering for long how people done it or how the oem one looks as my TRD ones have been cut off. I am going to hopefully get a friend locally who is respraying his car to use his fenders to copy those pieces for myself using fibre glass. I cannot mount my head lights to my car except with one bolt.

On a side note, nice work Gary. See you doing this all yourself? The roof looks top notch mate. Hopefully one day I can do this in my own spare time as well as my car too needs body work and prep

I have wider Nur style from Grams Styling. The headlight brackets that are normally attached to the inside of the wings no longer reach the arches properly so are bolted on a bit differently. Not as nicely like Gary here and Mr T have done.

So this weekend I've managed to fit the wings, and go back over the entire body with the mop, as there were still a few wet sanding scratches to remove.

Everything looks sweet now, so it's covered over in a sheet, ready to paint the bonnet and front bumper over the next couple of weeks, which should almost see this done!

Also managed to get my door mirrors painted today, along with clear coating the trd spoiler blade.......

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Lovely work indeed. Any pointers on mixing paints and clear coat as well as any tips on spray painting with the gun?
In what respect bud?

I'm not a professional sprayer by any means, but I've done odd bits over the years for myself. This is the biggest project I've ever taken on, but it's satisfying when it goes right - and nice to be able to say I did it myself!

The best advice I could give, is to buy the best and biggest air compressor you can. I have a 3hp 100l compressor at home, which struggles to supply enough air for painting. My 150l belt driven industrial compressor will run a spray gun all day long, which cost circa £600.

A cheap gun is fine for primer and base coat, but you do want a good gun for clear. The difference in control is staggering. My clear gun is a devilbiss flg-5, which is budget high end, although I'd really like a gti pro, but can't justify the outlay when I don't do it very often

A good da sander is crucial, as it cuts prep time down massively. Also good quality buffing pads on a rotary is essential - a da polisher will do the job, but you'll be there for months!

I try to maintain around 20c when spraying, I have a diesel space heater to warm the workshop up prior if necessary.

All paints mix slightly differently, so always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations. If using 2k primer, leave it a week before flatting, as it can shrink, and it'll show in the paint later.

Like anything, you get better with practice. Always best to do some spray outs on scrap panels, to get a feel of what you're doing. Wet sanding and buffing is hard work, and takes a lot of practice. It's very easy to ruin paint if you're not careful. Again, experience tells you when you're doing it right - and you should expect to ruin the first few bits you try!

A good quality organic vapour mask is essential. Isocyanates are linked to all kinds of respiratory problems, and can kill. If you can smell the paint through your mask, it's not good enough!

That is a ton of useful info. Useta have a 50L until they stole it over me fence one day. Wife bought me an industrial one for my birthday or anniversary, not sure now but its a 200L one that delivers 8.83 cfm and has a big enough motor. I cant recall the HP output now but it seems good I think. Also belt driven. I for one don't have a closed environment. So cant control temperature but rely upon mother nature for good weather.

I have a good spray gun but a colleague told me it would be good for paint but not clear coat so will see to that.

I need to get sanding machines still but yeah, removing a run is a pain indeed without a machine. I did my brother's the other week, only bumpers and the rear was good. Front, I don't know what happened after the 2nd layer of base coat. It made a hazy view on the paint whilst the rear had a mirror finish.

I was using a dust mask which is not the way to go at all but it was way better than using nothing.

Thanks again mate

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so since my last update, I've managed to get the bonnet and front bumper painted, along with getting the rear bumper and lights fitted.

It's starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now. A few more weeks until it's complete, but I'm getting there! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Another weekend in, and slightly closer to having it done. Everything takes so much longer than you think, especially final fit up!

Anyway, got my uk calipers swapped over to my newly refurbed ones, rear 1/4 glass bonded back in, bonnet fitted and wings adjusted up, interior mostly back in, mirrors and door lock barrels fitted, rear lights wired back up, wipers and windscreen seal fitted, and wet flatted the front bumper ready for polishing........

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• 3 weeks later...

Realised I hadn't updated for a while!

So last weekend I'd pretty much got everything back together, and reconnected the battery after 3 months. Everything seems to be working thus far, so that's good I suppose [emoji23]

Today I've machine polished the entire car with a finishing compound, and applied a coat of Gtechniq c2v3 which is a polymer based sealant, used instead of wax. The reviews are excellent, so time will tell how it lasts.

I've also got the wheels back on and polished those with belgom, and got it back on the ground.

All things being well and good, it should be coming home tomorrow, if the weather is dry! I just need to polish and fit the rear spoiler, check all the levels, and see if she'll fire up [emoji3590]imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage