The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange noise coming from engine suddenly

Fulcrum2000

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Tricky just re-read my reply and it sounded like it was saying better men than you for opinions, I of course meant better men than me. I am so inept at mechanical wizardy it is staggering. I sometimes wonder which door to get in to be honest.

No worry's fella, i wish you all the best and hope it doesn't end up costing you an arm and a leg to get it sorted, you also might want to edit this part of your reply to Chris further up as you can see what it imply s, hence my comment.

I've had 43 cars in 21 years of driving, and every time a new engine went in, .

43 cars needing 43 engine replacements....somebody saw you coming my friend,

On the subject of sludge, i find it very hard to believe that any Japanese import would be suffering from this as servicing is very easy and second nature to the almost anal Japanese, you can find a dedicated oil change/service garage as easy as you can find fuel in Japan, and as i said before modern oils are very very resistant to forming sludge, i still call the "black death" diagnosis as a money making exercise, but then your never going to know for sure now.

Should have taken it to Chris or Lee P at least then you would know for sure what was the cause and it would get fixed properly, but good luck anyway.

I think its often over here the problems occurred, these Supra's were cheap in the mid 00's, and I think a fair few got extended intervals early on (hands up I was guilty of this myself on my early Supra's, I just didn't know better). Someone runs a TT on bog standard oil and for 10K hard miles and you will get sludge/carbonisation/some black death. I think it varies from the discolouration/sheen CW talks about to the really messy stuff you can google.

Pics of the op's would be good (this thread can make slightly frustrating reading as the posts seem to come after a decision has essentially been made and not before ie slightly looking for validation of the route taken not advice on the route to take!?) if for nothing else but reference, I wish I'd kept the pics of the VVTI head as that was 10 years ago and was pretty bad....

I know Scooter, I know. I live in Lincolnshire and finding a mechanic is hard, not only to work on a Supra, but in general, they all have 2 or 3 week waiting lists seemingly so I tend to find a window and rush the car in and forget to take pics for the forums advice or have the opportunity to ask advice on next steps and unfortunately present a coup de grace to you all. I guess I'm more asking for any with relevant experience and whether they came to the same conclusions I did and costs etc.

In truth I never dreamt I would have needed so much work on what is touted as a stunningly reliable car and it keeps taking me by surprise how long the path is to make it reliable. But its better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb then half way up one you dont want to and I'll keep at it. Hopefully after this my problems will be tiny and wont involve me having no access to the car for weeks and months on end. Its done less than 100 miles this year!

Ok as an update the whole engine is disassembled and it is full of the BD but the problem (caused by BD) is it spun a bearing on the crank and small pieces of it went all over the engine. This can obviously be sorted out, it needs new cams too but the main problem is the pistons have a small rusting on them so it needs a rebore and slightly larger forged pistons dropping in. Anyone had this done? Obviously it will then have larger cylinders but are pistons for this job available easily? There's the same scoring marks on the crank too but that is being machined too, then all cleaned piece by piece, reassembled with new piston rings and all new consumables and bobs your uncle hopefully, just wondering if these forged pistons are available does anyone know?

Only other part that need machining other than the bore is the smaller thinner parts of the crank that have a small amount of rust too, once its been done if the new forged pistons can be made to match it should be bulletproof. He says with his fingers crossed. All the other problem areas are going to be replaced with the rebuild anyway

It's good news to have some options Chris. The crank has the tiniest issue it's a fraction of a mm that needs machining the main work will be done in the bores fortunately. I'm hoping it'll be like a new block after this. Anyone doubting the black death should have seen it though it was everywhere and sounds like it needs several processes to fully remove.

Its the one at the right end but might be usefully off shot. I saw the piece underneath which I assume is a journal and it was just like all the others to my eye. If you see on the other journals that little mark in the middle, thats where its slightly bumpy. I looked for a crank on ebay but no luck.

Its the one at the right end but might be usefully off shot. I saw the piece underneath which I assume is a journal and it was just like all the others to my eye. If you see on the other journals that little mark in the middle, thats where its slightly bumpy. I looked for a crank on ebay but no luck.

As mentioned. A new good used crank would be a far better bet than reusing one thats had a spun bearing. The dynamics involved in a spun bearing pretty much mean that there has to be some damage to it.

ChrisW knows his stuff, as does this writer http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/03/engine-bearing-technology-spin-spun-bearings/

All were the same as far as im aware i did do a write up comparing Crank Pulleys a year or two ago IE: the Titan/Solid/Stock/Fluid Dampr/After market copy etc long story short buy Stock

With regard to who is cheapest: TCB parts by about £100 assuming they have stock

Just looking around for crank options can anyone confirm if the crank ever had a revision or is there literally only one 2JZ crank ever produced? I've found one in the UK and it seems to state its for 98-02 but not pre that?

Cranks are the same in 2jz gte and 2jz ge motors (tt and na).