The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guigsy's 2017 respray thread

Guigsy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had the car in the bodyshop to get the car smoothed out, all the dents removed, a few rusty patches sorted and readied to be wrapped in the liquid copper. The car wasn't quite finished but had a nice coat of white. Nothing fancy because its just going to be covered up, but just so its sealed and not primer :p

It was so nice seeing it without the old dents and dings.

But it wouldn't start so they have had to push it arround. This happened last time because the spark plugs got sooted up with it only being started and shut off without it being run up to temperature very often.

So evinX helped me change the spark plugs (i say helped but all i did was take off the strut brace) because i dont know what im doing.

And it fired right up without an issue.

So now its off next door on wednesday to get wrapped. should be ready in 2 weeks.

Then it just needs an MOT, insurance and tax before dragonball.

unfortunately i forgot to take a picture :p

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back after getting the wrap done. Very pleased. though the wheels and splitter are covered in dust!

No supra badge as they couldnt save it. but i quite like it without. strangely. i had the supra badge with the extra "turbo" text before. ill get another if i feel like it.

Off to the MOT tomorrow evening, actualy tested monday. Hope it passes. Because if it doesn't, it doesn't leave much time before dragonball on wednesday!

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Is yours an aero top mate? If not interested to know how they wrapped the quarter panel and roof, was there a join line?

It's not. The join line is hidden in the small ridges along the roof. So the rear quater along above the window and down the side of the windscreen is one piece. Then the centre of the roof is another piece.

It's not. The join line is hidden in the small ridges along the roof. So the rear quater along above the window and down the side of the windscreen is one piece. Then the centre of the roof is another piece.

Awesome, could you post a close-up when you get a chance? Looks like a really good job!

Here you go mate.

Bit more visible towards the rear. and you dont see it at all unless your a few ft away and kinda looking for it.

there are a few other join lines. the door handles were difficult. i think he said they are 3 pieces. and the mirrors are a couple i think, the picture below has a line. but im not even sure myself if thats a join line or a line on the bodywork under it. as i think there is one there anyway. Then the insides of the openings on each side of the front bumper.

The particular colour i had doesnt stretch as well as some of the other colours, so oyu might get less joins with other colours. and apparently carbon wrap is even worse because it splits easily.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Adam that looks great, I am curious to know how much the wrap ended up costing and who did it presuming it was someone local. PM me if you prefer to post. As Burna said Littlenum's car is probably the best Supra wrap I have seen to date. As I wrapped mine (6 years or more now) I apreciate how difficult it is and can imagine that finish on yours took some doing. Nice.

Here you go mate.

Bit more visible towards the rear. and you dont see it at all unless your a few ft away and kinda looking for it.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/05/102.jpg

there are a few other join lines. the door handles were difficult. i think he said they are 3 pieces. and the mirrors are a couple i think, the picture below has a line. but im not even sure myself if thats a join line or a line on the bodywork under it. as i think there is one there anyway. Then the insides of the openings on each side of the front bumper.

The particular colour i had doesnt stretch as well as some of the other colours, so oyu might get less joins with other colours. and apparently carbon wrap is even worse because it splits easily.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/05/103.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Guigsy, appreciate it