The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much power & Torque is too much in a Supra?

Nodalmighty

For a 2j single 600 is about right for driveability and reliable, 600 and torque to match from your v8 then you`re into the unknown, power will come so much earlier i reckon you will have traction issues, i wouldn`t mind a go in it tho if you decide to track it:eyebrows:

You can have a go in it even if I don' track it :) I need a driver so I can map it around brunters ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I would of thought that anything much past the 700 mark in a supra the chassis (as good and as strong as it is) would start to flex also aiding loss of traction. There are many things over looked when chasing big power and chassis reinforcement is one of them!

Mine will have a welded in full cage so I think it will pretty rigid. As Warner at LRS has access to the TTE drawings :) Having installed a few looms and ecu's on cars with cages I went for bolt in door bars to save my rib cage from more abuse.

750 is too much I believe. I use medium boost most of the time which is around 600rwhp on pump fuel and that's plenty. Even with my large 295 rear Toyo T1R tyres and OS Gilken diff I break traction a lot in High boost. Add ethanol to the mix and it's insane. Then again, it is fun :)

I would go for around 700fwhp to achieve pretty much all you want :)

Any idea of the motors weight vs a 2jz?

I checked and that block is heavy heavy, I imagine with twin turbo setup the car would be much less balanced and nose heavy?

The Chevrolet LS engine I think he's referring to is MUCH lighter than the 2JZ, and is shorter and vertically smaller, so it's superior dynamically.

The Chevrolet LS engine I think he's referring to is MUCH lighter than the 2JZ, and is shorter and vertically smaller, so it's superior dynamically.

Much lighter? I must be thinking of a different one then but the LS2 iron block has a dressed weight of nearly 500lbs

Much lighter? I must be thinking of a different one then but the LS2 iron block has a dressed weight of nearly 500lbs

It's a truck motor and comes with iron heads and loads of smog stuff. Mine will have alloy heads and a plastic manifold and light weight tubular VXR manifolds. In NA guise it will be about the same as a Twin Turbo engine. But be about a foot shorter so sit much further back.

There is quite a bit of potential left in the build, fast intake (or ITB's), 6.7 stroker kit, more compression, dry sump, lots of small gains to be had here and there. There were tests done on LS1 ported cathedral heads form various speed shops and the best heads on the spec above on a fast intake 6.6 stroker with 13:1 compression and a decent cam made about 640bhp. They put stock LS3 heads on and it almost matched the best LS1 head. CNC ported big valve LS3 race heads should make even more.

There is quite a bit of potential left in the build, fast intake (or ITB's), 6.7 stroker kit, more compression, dry sump, lots of small gains to be had here and there. There were tests done on LS1 ported cathedral heads form various speed shops and the best heads on the spec above on a fast intake 6.6 stroker with 13:1 compression and a decent cam made about 640bhp. They put stock LS3 heads on and it almost matched the best LS1 head. CNC ported big valve LS3 race heads should make even more.

what sort of cost does a built TT Ls2 motor run to out of interest? Sounds a beast!

Take a look at Bignums 7min-27 sec around the Nurbergring in a 600 Bhp Supra .Stunning drive Think that says it all

Thanks for the kind words bud but he`s building a different beast altogether, that thing will produce so much torque low down he`ll be pulling wheelies going down the shops lol.