Supercharger on electromagnetic clutch

Fearless

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It's the 1UZ engine.

The bottom end is the 1st gen with the stronger con rods and the heads are from the 2nd gen with the VVT but although the Syvecs is perfectly capable of controlling the VVT for simplicity I have fixed the VVT mechanism so the cam timing is the same as the 1st gen non VVT heads however they are a slightly higher lift and a more aggressive profile.

OK so there are always going to be a few teething problems with anything new so I was expecting something to need tweaking.

So it was no surprise that the belt from the clutch to the supercharger started to slip at max rpm and of course once it started to slip the slippage got worse very quickly.

So 3 belts later I came up with this

IMG_0135.jpg

It's a belt tensioner from a mini with a custom mounting bracket however despite many attempts to get this to run true and 5 belts later I have given up on that idea. The arm is just too flexible and being that close to the driven pulley there is no margin for error and it keeps chucking the belt off the pulley.

So I thought all it really needs is a bit more wrap around the pulley rather than more tension on the belt so I made a simple idler pulley (this is just a prototype made from some scrap so excuse the roughness of it)

This is what it looks like and it works brilliantly!

IMG_0138.jpg

Only one problem now, it may be because I have been putting a lot of tension on the belt or it may just be normal ware and tare (this was a used charger when I brought it) but the oil seal on the input shaft has started leaking now.

Edited by Fearless (see edit history)

I always had issues with heat when this was turbocharged both single and twin. They have to go in front of the engine so you end up with a mass of red hot manifold pipes adding heat and blocking airflow through the radiator.

Was fine driving normally but didn't take many mins. pushing it before coolant was at 110c and oil was at 130c

This never even gets close to overheating now