The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PT 6870 gen2 vs 6466 gen2 shootout to 5000rpm

GlennK

Let's see how long you're gonna keep it ;)

:D

I'm not going to start chasing numbers. If I want a little more I can change to an FMIC, aftermarket plenum, 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust system. I'm already going to be pushing the safe limits of the gearbox, and I don't want to end up building the engine. I think 550hp-600hp is plenty for my favourite roads. :)

:D

I'm not going to start chasing numbers. If I want a little more I can change to an FMIC, aftermarket plenum, 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust system. I'm already going to be pushing the safe limits of the gearbox, and I don't want to end up building the engine. I think 550hp-600hp is plenty for my favourite roads. :)

Ok :D

Even 700+hp gets pretty boring....so still not decided yet. 6466 is a bit faster spooling (but not anywhere as powerful) but with a built engine and mods I'm inclined to go for a 6870...and live with driving round the track in 2nd and 3rd gear only :run:

This is exactly what i am thinking. The 6466 just doesn't seem to produce the goods on pump fuel, it really wants ethanol. And if i'm building an engine, I want it to make the power all the time. I do wish there was an inbetween though, its either 900 or 1100 rating :rolleyes:

This is exactly what i am thinking. The 6466 just doesn't seem to produce the goods on pump fuel, it really wants ethanol. And if i'm building an engine, I want it to make the power all the time. I do wish there was an inbetween though, its either 900 or 1100 rating :rolleyes:

+1 Exactly so - and even on E85 I'm not convinced :banghead:

I went 6870 with vvti head to aid the spool ;)

I've got a VVTi engine now aswell Mr Parry ;)

With you on that...but what improvement did you get? The graph needs shifting to the left by about 1000rpm!

I think the general consensus is it will yield about 500rpm Glenn which could change if you went with a smaller a/r i guess. But in my mind that defeats the point of having a large turbo in the first place. Watch Luc's build with great interest, he is going with a 6870 which is being mapped first on a normal head, then later with a VVTi so we will have all the answers.

Chris' setup (6870 with VVTi) is the perfect one imo.

Krister frim Finland reported 1000+rpm improved spool when he went from 3.0 non-VVTi to 3.4 VVTi. Most is due to the VVTi.

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to get a proper back to back comparision, as I'm really interested to see what is really behind the VVTi myth :)

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Budz86

That's from my 6466 gen 2. Had 60% ethanol in the tank on that run. Boost tops out at 1.6/1.7 bar but that's probably not helped by 4" pipework and a 110mm TB! Lol