N/a mines ecu vs stock dyno results to come Saturday

Supraleeturbo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I remember from ages ago on Facebook mate. Wouldn't know where to start with getting it repaired to be honest

There's a few companies about, one in Nottingham I had a quote from.

£45 diagnostics and up to £200 depending on what's wrong, but if it's just caps and a reflow should be around 100-150 :)

If you open it up you can see if a cap has failed as the top bulges.

There's a few companies about, one in Nottingham I had a quote from.

£45 diagnostics and up to £200 depending on what's wrong, but if it's just caps and a reflow should be around 100-150 :)

If you open it up you can see if a cap has failed as the top bulges.

Could work out more money than it's worth then, if as people have said they've bought then for £200 in the past.

Herb, what was your before and after?

Thanks a lot for showing interest in my project.

I did a lot of mods on my NA-BPU (It's called that way on our german club) build till now, and as already said, gaining a few additional hp from an NA costs a lot.

I invested about 5000€ in my 2JZGE as of "2014 spec"

Double that for my oncoming build :)

Right now the car's in the garage for a lot more to come, both engine (still NA :) ) wise and bodywise. (Full respray - glass out job) and so on...

Basic spec is before the current build was:

x) Mine's VX Rom ECU 12/2011-Spec

X) Xerd Header

X) Unique hand made midpipe system including both decats and installing a Kenobi 200 cell high flow cat

X) fully ported intake with ported (widened) throttle body an portmatched manifold

x) Tanabe medalion touring catback exhaust

x) lightweight pulleys

x) rebuilt head + water pump, timingbelt etc. - so pretty the standard things

x) Denso iridium IK16 plus magnecore wires

x) New OEM coil, dizzy etc.

x) all hoses new, also vacuum hoses etc.

x) HKS DLI (Special NA edition - now discontinued)

x) ATI crank damper

x) TRD LSD

x) C's short stroke shifter W58

X) Exedy sports clutch

x) Big brake setup

... and so much more

A few people on here will call me stupid BUT down here in Austria it is strictly illegal to turbocharge NA cars... So NA-T is no option here.

I dynoed it with 230PS and Power delivery is very smooth! (Baseline of my car was 195PS back in 2010)

It's not just all about peak power - it's about the way the car delivers the power compared to stock setup.

The dyno graph shows a plus of ca. 40hp in midrange compared to stock.

That's not something I made up, everything is documented with dynosheets year by year. Im a freak - yes! :) :)

It is a very agile car now indeed... I love it the NA-way...

Because I get Pm's once a day from people wanting to know more about my NA-Spec I'm going to do a built thread covering my current built in the next couple of months if someone's interested.

Regards, Herbert

PS: Here's our facebook page if anyone's interested for some teasers in advance every now end then of the build: https://m.facebook.com/Jdmworlddomination?fref=photo

image.jpeg

So got dads results today and the car did really well on the stock ecu 220 stock and 226 on the mines so a good 6bhp more witch to be honest isn't a massive gaine but the difference the car feels when on stock ecu to the mines is a good and well worth it, the torque after 4K was good will post pics tomorrow

I'm amazed that it made 220 stock. Are there any other mods done to the car? Most N/As tend to run around 190-200 (SRR Dyno).

Exhaust and that's it

- - - Updated - - -

I'm amazed that it made 220 stock. Are there any other mods done to the car? Most N/As tend to run around 190-200 (SRR Dyno).

Exhaust and that's it

That's a great result for a stock car for El burrito ( your Dads new forum name :D)

Just shows how reliable a NA engine is to retain that power, unless obviously you had someone on the dyno who wanted to flatter you.

Lol like the name but suits me more lol yes dads engine is very strong! I think it's from the 30 engine gaskets changes jake gave it lol

Std or Mines ECU doe's not tune itself, it will learn short term fuelling and timing retard, along with idle, the rest is lambda controlled and hard map once out of closed loop, fuel and timing trim is accomplished pretty quickly as its designed to adjust to the fuel grade used, so if you put in lower octane it will trim timing advance until there is no knock.

I would assume it was the mines first anyway as that is the one the car is actually fitted with.

Good to know she is a strong old bus, always had comments that she pulled well when I owned it, and nice to have numbers to back it up as I never got around to Dyno-ing her. The car had plenty of new parts thrown at it, so cant say im surprised, but the actual block was never opened so nice to know its all running as it should.

Would have been interested to have known how it was running, when it had the exhaust I had fitted on it, as lots say a big diameter exhaust like it has now can have a negative effect of power on the NA hence why i had the 2.5" system on it.

Std or Mines ECU doe's not tune itself, it will learn short term fuelling and timing retard, along with idle, the rest is lambda controlled and hard map once out of closed loop, fuel and timing trim is accomplished pretty quickly as its designed to adjust to the fuel grade used, so if you put in lower octane it will trim timing advance until there is no knock.

To the laymen..... it tunes itself ;)

Thanks a lot for showing interest in my project.

I did a lot of mods on my NA-BPU (It's called that way on our german club) build till now, and as already said, gaining a few additional hp from an NA costs a lot.

I invested about 5000€ in my 2JZGE as of "2014 spec"

Double that for my oncoming build :)

Right now the car's in the garage for a lot more to come, both engine (still NA :) ) wise and bodywise. (Full respray - glass out job) and so on...

Basic spec is before the current build was:

x) Mine's VX Rom ECU 12/2011-Spec

X) Xerd Header

X) Unique hand made midpipe system including both decats and installing a Kenobi 200 cell high flow cat

X) fully ported intake with ported (widened) throttle body an portmatched manifold

x) Tanabe medalion touring catback exhaust

x) lightweight pulleys

x) rebuilt head + water pump, timingbelt etc. - so pretty the standard things

x) Denso iridium IK16 plus magnecore wires

x) New OEM coil, dizzy etc.

It is a very agile car now indeed... I love it the NA-way...

Regards, Herbert

Hi Herb!

I understand you, good inline six n/a engine with good chassis is a very enjoyable car to drive. I don't have anything against turbo cars, but i personally prefer n/a motor. I want to have more power and responsiveness in the future so it is nice if you can share your know how in this forum :)

So basically your mods for more power was complete exhaust, improved intake, Mines ECU +big service? And your gains were 35hp in top and in midrange was 40hp? Those are good gains (for not that much money) and they did improve your power to weight -ratio quite a bit. How much your car weights?

I need a new header, but i don't know what is the best option and where i can buy it. That XERD is same s MVP:s header, isn't it? Where did you buy it? After that i need to decat/change those old cats for better flowing one. I think they are quite useless...

Can you and SupraLeeTurbo but a dyno sheets in this thread so we can see torque curve from both engine?

Thinking about this today.

Don't MVP in the US make a manifold claimed to add about 20hp?

So with that, ported airflow bits, mines ecu, few other touches, could an na maybe make 40/50hp extra I wonder?

Well, if you look Herbs list of modification, then yeah. I have always thought that the whole stock exhaust (header+mid-pide with stock cats+cat back) is rubbish as is stock ecu too. Just changing these gives you a nice gains. That intake mod was a new thing for me but it seems to work. I was little bit of surprised tho that Herbs car gives 40hp more in midrange. That's a lot and presumably it makes car much faster in twisty roads/track. Or actually, everywhere :D

Well, if you look Herbs list of modification, then yeah. I have always thought that the whole stock exhaust (header+mid-pide with stock cats+cat back) is rubbish as is stock ecu too. Just changing these gives you a nice gains. That intake mod was a new thing for me but it seems to work. I was little bit of surprised tho that Herbs car gives 40hp more in midrange. That's a lot and presumably it makes car much faster in twisty roads/track. Or actually, everywhere :D

Can we please stop using he words NA and fast in the same sentence please :D

Hi Herb!

I understand you, good inline six n/a engine with good chassis is a very enjoyable car to drive. I don't have anything against turbo cars, but i personally prefer n/a motor. I want to have more power and responsiveness in the future so it is nice if you can share your know how in this forum :)

So basically your mods for more power was complete exhaust, improved intake, Mines ECU +big service? And your gains were 35hp in top and in midrange was 40hp? Those are good gains (for not that much money) and they did improve your power to weight -ratio quite a bit. How much your car weights?

I need a new header, but i don't know what is the best option and where i can buy it. That XERD is same s MVP:s header, isn't it? Where did you buy it? After that i need to decat/change those old cats for better flowing one. I think they are quite useless...

Can you and SupraLeeTurbo but a dyno sheets in this thread so we can see torque curve from both engine?

Hey Lasse!

Basically you're right. You have to take into account that the enigines are pretty old these days and it all comes down to the condition of the individual engine, so basically your starting point for modifications.

Modding an NA engine will never be the bang for the buck, but for me it was worth it. You should hear the sound if it :)

Every little bit counts, so numbers might be different with a different exhaust, lighter crank pulley etc. there are so many factors on NA engines....

Mine is/was a well maintained low milage GE, the numbers might be a bit lower for other engines I guess.

My Supra is the lightest available Supra, so NA hardtop 5-Speed (factory NA-5, no"Frankenstein" like swapped ex-auto etc.) without extras like Airbags or something.

It weights about 1300kg right now.

In my current build I'm going with a Titan rear seat delete, very light genuine Bride Euroster II seats and some other lightweight goodies, so weight will come down a little further.

Concerning the Header I'd go with the MVP one if I were you. Basically it's the same as the Xerd - Xerd is the best on the market in my opinion.

There are some others on the market but none came near the MVP/Xerd in terms of build quality in my opinion.

Concerning the dyno sheet. Yes I can provide one. will have to dig it up from somewhere on my harddrive...

Best regards, Herbert