The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do i go Manual or Built auto?

rob.sherer

thanks for all the comments guys gives me a fair few more options and more to think about.

personally i would want to go down the v160/161 route. its just hard finding a full conversion. which leads me to the question how much does it cost for a full v160 conversion? and how often and where do they pop up?

Cheers

thanks for all the comments guys gives me a fair few more options and more to think about.

personally i would want to go down the v160/161 route. its just hard finding a full conversion. which leads me to the question how much does it cost for a full v160 conversion? and how often and where do they pop up?

Cheers

You'll probably pay £4500-5000 for a full conversion. Maybe more, plus they dont come up on here very often. Keron@Extremeperformance might be abke to help you.

Cheers

The best bet is to put wanted threads up on various forums and keep checking ebay. Also speak to Garage-D, they always stock conversion parts.

If you stick up wanted threads you get people coming out of the woodwork with things for sale that they might not have necessarily decided to sell/advertise, rather than just searching for For Sale threads etc.

Driftworks would be a good place to look too. And there was a full conversion I saw sell for £3300-3500 recently, that was including an OS Giken triple plate clutch etc.. sold very quickly to say the least.

I may know of a conversion for sale too, not sure if he will sell but if you are interested give me a PM and I'll ask him for you dude.

The price of the DCT box conversion is eye watering, plus the tunnel work needed is something alot wont be able to tackle at home meaning more ££ on labour

I agree that its an awesome step forward and it must make the car feel and drive great, its good to see what the tuners are capable of these days, but £10k+++, makes the already ludicrously priced 6 speeds an absolute bargain.

Hi ashloys, I am an all time "manual" man, the reasons for this are well known by most manual boys, sports cars have to be manual, and you have to drive them. However i am changing my F1 Stage 4 metalic competition clutch for an RPS Max stage 2 organic Street clutch. There are two reasons why i am doing this, first and foremost the driveability, the stage 4 judders the car badly when it warms up and knocks hell out of the power train, esp the gearbox, also the actual gear changes get rough and my box has only covered 42,000 miles.

Another member has the stage 2 organic box and he has covered 6k miles, with stock smooth operation and no clutch slipping at 400 bhp and 450 lbs/ft torque.

You may be prepared to go with the harsh clutch, but i am just giving you my experience. I would like to know how you get on with yours if you could PM me. herbiemercman.

Hi ashloys, I am an all time "manual" man, the reasons for this are well known by most manual boys, sports cars have to be manual, and you have to drive them. However i am changing my F1 Stage 4 metalic competition clutch for an RPS Max stage 2 organic Street clutch. There are two reasons why i am doing this, first and foremost the driveability, the stage 4 judders the car badly when it warms up and knocks hell out of the power train, esp the gearbox, also the actual gear changes get rough and my box has only covered 42,000 miles.

Another member has the stage 2 organic box and he has covered 6k miles, with stock smooth operation and no clutch slipping at 400 bhp and 450 lbs/ft torque.

You may be prepared to go with the harsh clutch, but i am just giving you my experience. I would like to know how you get on with yours if you could PM me. herbiemercman.

I'm the same as you, I bought my auto and started gathering parts to convert it to manual immediately. I had no intention of keeping it auto! I'd go with an organic clutch if I drove it more often, but the reality is I'll only have it out once a week and even if it's extremely harsh it wouldn't bother me. Plus, it's a super rare TRD clutch & flywheel for extra JDM scene points. lol I also got it for an extremeley good price.

My previous 2 cars have had pretty harsh clutches. My 180SX had an RPS Max 6 puck paddle clutch, and the chaser had a stage 4 competition paddle clutch/ACT 6 puck paddle clutch.

Hi ashloys, I am an all time "manual" man, the reasons for this are well known by most manual boys, sports cars have to be manual, and you have to drive them.

1) the Supra isn't a "sports car". It IS a GT.

2) Toyotas sports car was the MR2, and is now the gt86.

3) few sports cars, and fewer GTs are manuals these days

4) I'll be the first to admit that a nice manual box is a truly wonderful thing on the maybe 10% of drives where it is of benefit. But a rattling, noisy clutch, with a snappy on off pedal, is nit a nice thing, and detracts from the experience. Especially if one must use the car every day. The W58 has the nicest change of all mk4 Supra gearboxes, but it is nothing compared to something like a MK1 MX5, E36 M3 or Porsche 968.

1) the Supra isn't a "sports car". It IS a GT.

2) Toyotas sports car was the MR2, and is now the gt86.

3) few sports cars, and fewer GTs are manuals these days

4) I'll be the first to admit that a nice manual box is a truly wonderful thing on the maybe 10% of drives where it is of benefit. But a rattling, noisy clutch, with a snappy on off pedal, is nit a nice thing, and detracts from the experience. Especially if one must use the car every day. The W58 has the nicest change of all mk4 Supra gearboxes, but it is nothing compared to something like a MK1 MX5, E36 M3 or Porsche 968.

All good points dude. Ideally I'd have went with something nice and drivable but Mark Luney offered me the TRD one at such a good price I couldn't turn it down. It included the flywheel and new bolts etc. Saved me nearly £700 from buying new, and I'm a bit broke after moving out by myself recently. The shifts on MX5's are lovely, one of my good friends has one and I love it.

Just out of curiosity, have you had any experience with double/triple plate clutches? I've heard extremely mixed reports. Some people say they are very nice to use and others say they are horrendeous? Only wondering as I was close to buying an HKS twin plate, and I'd probably consider one in the future.

HKS clutches, generally speaking, are the worst I come across. If you need a twin or triple plate, are willing to accept the plate rattle, and the gear train excitation the removal of the stock dual mass flywheel will bring, and their relatively fast wear rate and thus high maintenance, then the best multi plate clutches on a reasonable budget are the OS Giken ones. They are also one of the few to stock and supply all spares.

I had what I was told was an RPS twin plate on my single turbo 6 speed, and once you got used to it it wasn't too bad at all. Comparable to the stock clutch in the Audi S2 I had not long after it. But as Chris said, it did rattle.

This is fine if the car is a weekend car, but as a daily drive it becomes tiresome. Oh, and stop start traffic in a Supra with any aftermarket clutch is a horrible experience :D

HKS clutches, generally speaking, are the worst I come across. If you need a twin or triple plate, are willing to accept the plate rattle, and the gear train excitation the removal of the stock dual mass flywheel will bring, and their relatively fast wear rate and thus high maintenance, then the best multi plate clutches on a reasonable budget are the OS Giken ones. They are also one of the few to stock and supply all spares.

OK I'll know to stay clear from them in the future then. I'm sure the TRD one will be 100%, I noticed the pressure plate and flywheel are actually made by Aisin (who actually make the R154 transmission for Toyota!). I can just get HKS twin plates imported from japan for very good money so was just keeping my options open for the future. I don't plan to be doing any big power mods above BPU anyways for a long time due to being poor lol.

I had what I was told was an RPS twin plate on my single turbo 6 speed, and once you got used to it it wasn't too bad at all. Comparable to the stock clutch in the Audi S2 I had not long after it. But as Chris said, it did rattle.

This is fine if the car is a weekend car, but as a daily drive it becomes tiresome. Oh, and stop start traffic in a Supra with any aftermarket clutch is a horrible experience :D

The RPS clutches all seem pretty good quality tbh. Good to know :)

And tell me about it lol In my JZX100 Chaser there was one occasion where I was stopped on the 'red tarmac' in the pouring rain next to a police car. Safe to say they weren't best pleased at how I took off.

the best multi plate clutches on a reasonable budget are the OS Giken ones. They are also one of the few to stock and supply all spares.

I have only ever heard people say the Giken clutches are horrendous on anything but full throttle, high revs. Town driving requires revs to pull away, an 'on or off' bite and stiff operation ?

I am looking forward to my stage 2 organic, my mistake has cost me £500, the stage 4 metalic clutches are a joke IMHO, at first i thought i would learn to live with it, but unless you are on a track or drag racing, you would even go auto or accept a slight slipping at full torque.

The power delivery on my car is fantastic and i have now sorted my oil temp issue, and fitting a thermostatic oil cooler, and fully synth oil, but the clutch is hard to see how anyone would tolerate it for street use. It is terrible to drive and in traffic can be dangerous as you try to keep the thing going without having to stop and start off again, and you are recking your w58 box, mega bucks to repair, for me it is a no brainer.

The people who jump in with ignorance get cained. Ouch.! ! !

On the built Auto front what options are there and whats recommended?

SRD- stage 1 to 4 i believe. plus the new 7 speed box awaiting prices

titan- built box

boostlogic- built box

few people run the boost logic and i believe kaan has the titan box.... all decenty money but shiping ect is a pain

i would go SRD all the time on anything i buy nowadays. i think GlennK has the SRD stage 4 and its proven amazing