The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na/t. Power delivery & oil. Temp.

herbiemercman

The forum had a saying that was often used when I joined, and having read all the builds over the past decade (including Tooquicktostop's) you should probably listen to these guys, as they found out at their financial expense so you didn't have to.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable....Choose two.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi tooquick, Which members ? and why are you out ? all you need to do is explain your comments? You support the oil cooler being fitted just as a principal, and you may be right, you are also "some member", i am just asking you to explain why you think i need an oil cooler, my expert, not sure if you are one ? says, i do not ? Anyway you have dropped out so you cannot explain.

I have built boat engines, bike engines and car engines etc, and i am "some member". Good luck.

I'll have a go.

Firstly you may never need an oil cooler...but

You've reported high possible high temps

You've reported carbonised oil

You've asked for views

So the prudent/by the book people, especially given your low mileage known history engine, are giving the advice of a thermostatically controlled cooler. If you fit this then you'll keep the oil in the correct operating temperature whether pooling about town or giving it death on track. It's a piece of mind addition, if the car 100% doesn't need a cooler why does it need an oil temperature gauge?

So you don't need one per se but if you fit one you can scratch off the oil temperature from your concerns and you are one step further towards your na-t being like your old NA in terms of just getting and driving and enjoying.

Hi Scooter, I said in a previous thread on this subject that i see the oil cooler as a "belt & brasses" item and i take your point re, why would you fit an oil temp gauge, there is a good logic there. He has offered to give me an oil cooler, but wants to sort the new gauge first, also some members say their oil goes dark after just a few hundred miles and they are just NA. My opinion of the look of my oil is qualatative.

Hi downimpact, I agree with your point re brand stamping, the car industry do it all the time VW and SKODA, same kit one much cheaper, in engineering it is called FFP, fit for purpose, some members will only support branded stuff and that is up to them, and i don't mock them for it. My parts are fine, car performance is great, just need the new oil temp gauge, and may be a cooler, and almost certainly a fibre stronger sprung clutch, no panic on this last bit.

Hi Hitbox, Yeh i agree and will sort this soon, got to change the oil temp and boost gauges for the higher quality ones and then the leather seat covers, which i am expecting this coming week, i will be relieved when they the leather seat covers eventually arrive, as it has been 5 weeks, the stuff from the USA seem to be good value, but delivery time and import duty is some thing to consider.

Hi Harley and trebor, I just post the way it is and he is broad shoulder enough to take it, overall i am made up with the whole thing, but as Chris Wilson pointed out this kind of conversion and especially mine with a different exhaust etc wanted some sorting out and he did it.

The oil temp was some think he wanted to get to the bottom of and after fitting the new better quality gauge he sent me the oil temp has come down some 15 deg, so all ok, however i will be fitting an oil cooler kit which he is sending me.

He is a reliable experienced guy, which i have said many times. If you have any comments which are not technical you can PM me. Thanks for your comments.

Hi tooquick, The oil temp is 90 deg. C normal driving and was 115 deg.C today on a 10 mile very hard drive, so i am at least 15 C below the readings on the previous gauge, which was a cheapo. If you take into account the location of the sender, at the oil filter and not in the sump, then i think all ok. However as i said an oil cooler will be fitted soon as i am a belt and brasses man.

Hey Herbie , I have been reading your thread with great interest and awe at some of the comments. As you know most of the points that have been made are done in the true club spirit , but it does seem to me that one or two of the comments have tried to hijack your thread in order to have a cheap snipe at another member . This is how it seems some of the comments come across imo .

Good read. lol

If you trust your "NA-T" mans opinion so much, and won't listen to other probably more experienced members, why ask on the forum in the first place? I don't claim to know anywhere near as much as most people in this thread but it just seems like it's his way or the highway.

Hi lewysdanny and bignum, The hyjacking comes with the territory in this club and i just try to appeal to members who are interested in the supra cars and the technical issues.

The reference to Eastenders is ok, my 9 year old son watches it and i cannot get him interested in cars, but he may grow out of it.

In the past i got banned from this club for "picking up the bait", so this is another reason i work on diplomatics not the other stuff.

The "other member" you refer to, does not take prisoners i know, and is like me, but he knows his stuff and helps a lot of people in this club.

The mods don't seem to spot the hyjacking and if you have been in the club for many years and the technical issues become worn out, then a bit of banter is understandable.

Hi ashloys, The clutch issue and the oil cooler issue has come from other members and i am chuffed with that, my NA/T man is very good, not just my opinion, but like Chris Wilson , who you may not know yet, as you have only been a member for a short time, all the different opinions are taken on board, have another read of the thread and you will see what i mean.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

Good read. lol

If you trust your "NA-T" mans opinion so much, and won't listen to other probably more experienced members, why ask on the forum in the first place? I don't claim to know anywhere near as much as most people in this thread but it just seems like it's his way or the highway.

Yet another NEWBY key board warrior that comes onto a thread , gives an opinion that he knows nothing about , and knows nothing of the member he makes his snipe at , then thinks hes making a valid contribution. And one other thing , I have been a member on here 8 years, and the member related to as NA-T man was converting na,s well before I owned a Supe with tyres being a his other interest .

Edited by lewysdanny (see edit history)

Hi Chris, I take on board what you are saying and this ties in with what my guy told me, however i like back up for the times it is a very hot day etc and i am really giving it some, so i will be fitting the oil cooler with the thermostatic sandwitch plate. Am i right in thinking i can retain the current sandwitch plate which has the turbo oil feed and temp sensor and fit the new plate below it with a bolt extension which retains the filter?